Thread: 2X9 Setup Help

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

2X9 Setup Help

Members,

I'm trying to set up my Gary Fisher Paragon to a 2X9 for no other reason than it looks cool. I rarely find myself in the large ring and never ride trails which would require it, and find the gears available enough. I would like to keep my current drive train for now to see if it works out before switching the rear cassette to 11-36, RD & FD and middle ring to a 36, as to avoid the associated costs. I changed out the 44 chain ring with a BBG 32 bash guard and lowered the FD as much as I could without it touching the frame, the braze-on keeps it from going lower. One problem that I see is when in small/small combo the chain rubs at the RD, I know this is cross chaining but would taking a few links out of the chain solved that issue and would it be prudent to do it anyway since I'm no longer using the big ring? My main concern since I haven't taken to the trails yet is will the chain stay on during decents and climbs, since the FD is a bit higher than it should be. Will that bash guard be enough to keep it on? Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If it's of any help, I recently switched my '94 Trek 7000 over from a 3x7 to a 2x9 using a 2x10 crankset without a bashguard. The existing front derailleur would not go low enough and had about a 1/2" gap to the large ring because a bottle cage threaded insert was in the way. This resulted in poor shifting and the chain would frequently drop off to the outside of the large chainring when shifting up to it.

I replaced the top clamp bottom swing derailleur with a low clamp top swing derailleur advertised as a 2x10. This let me set the gap correctly and it now shifts well and stays on the ring. I also shortened the chain to the usual "large large plus two" to improve chain tension.

RAKC
    More than likely the fd is low enough since your not full suspension. Bash will keep it from coming off the outside which unless your riding some pretty rought trails, it wont be a problem anyway.

Set the chain the correct way and don't put it in small/small. You'll never get it to stop the rubbing as its not meant for that (not using a 3x crankset)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for help guys. Rode this weekend without a problem, shifting was perfect and no chain issues.

Take care.

mtbr member
    I had a 3x9 setup, swapped the 44T ring for a bash guard and ran with it. I did not adjust the height of the FD because it shifted well in the middle and low gear. It also allows me to swap out the bash for the 44t ring anytime I need to have the larger gear in front (gravel ride or casual road riding). I haven't had a single dropped chain with it.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"