2x9 drive train (22t/36t)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

2x9 drive train (22t/36t)

Hi all,

I'm converting a 3x9 Shimano hollow tech crankset to a 2x9 drive. As of right now I have the 22t & 32t chain rings mounted with a bashguard. I would like to replace the 32t middle ring with a 36t chain ring to give more range for my all mountain set up.

First, is the 22t and 36t rings too wide of range for my chain to handle? I'm running an 11-34 cassette. Second, what might be a good 36t chain ring? I'm considering a TruVativ 36T...any suggestions?

Thanks for suggestions and any advice.

mtbr member
    Depending on your current chain length, going to a 36T front ring could be a problem. General rule of thumb is wrap the chain around the large ring and large cog then add 2 links. You might need to add 4 links to compensate for the additional 4 teeth.

Shimano makes 22-36 cranksets such as the SLX double and the Saint double; so you can buy a Shimano 36T ring. I'm sure the Truvative 36T ring would do just fine as long as the bolt pattern is the same.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    As said, Shimano makes a36t, as do Blackspire (my personal preference), Race Face, Truvativ and pretty much most major manufacturers. If you go for the Blackspire, be careful if you go for the Super Pro rings as they're thicker than a normal ring and don't mesh as well with normal rings for shifting - best to do both rings in Super Pro.

As to shifting, no 14t is about max before things start to get tricky in that dept, as stated several manufacturers make 2x setups with these rings so if you find the shifting gets hard/not as smooth consider buying a 2x specific FD like the SLX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can get the Raceface Atlas 22/36/bash combo for about $70, cheaper than buying everything separate. I thought about it but want a 24t small ring.

mtbr member
    My SLX crankset on my 29er came with 22/36/bash, and I run 24/36/bash on my 26" FS. A 36 does take a little getting use to after riding a 33t, but it doesnt take long and I dont notice any "gaps" in gearing with 22/36 up front and 11-34 in the back. Infact it feels like a much better spread and less redundancy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Because going from a 32t to a 36t is somewhat of a large jump, would a 34t be good balance between the two....or would that not be enough difference from the 32t?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by njonesy_07 View Post
    Because going from a 32t to a 36t is somewhat of a large jump, would a 34t be good balance between the two....or would that not be enough difference from the 32t?
    32 to 34 is only a 6.25% change- not worth it. Over the past few years it seems around here that most guys changing to 2x9 use 22/36 up front...it works great. I've been using that combo myself forever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the timely feed back. I just hoping to get more range out of my set up, a 36t ring may be the ticket.

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by njonesy_07 View Post
    Thanks for the timely feed back. I just hoping to get more range out of my set up, a 36t ring may be the ticket.

Any other suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I just did the same conversion that your doing. I went from a 22/32/42 3 X 9, to a 2 X 9 with the 24/36 tooth combo. So far so good. I did not have a hard time adjusting to the new gearing and do not feel that I am missing any gear range.

I went with a Truvativ 24 tooth ring (found cheap on fleabay) I agree with Lynz on the Blackspire rings being my favorite. I went with the Pro model it has the shift ramps and seems to shift well going up from the 24 ring.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

Members who have read this thread: 0