2019 XTR Ispec EV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 XTR Ispec EV

For people that would like to run existing 11-speed Shimano that have Ispec II on the new Shimano XTR 9100 brakes it is very doable. You need to remove the Ispec II bracket from the 9000 shifter and then it will bolt directly to the new 9100 brakes into the ispecEV square nut, and the only real mod will be using a slightly shorter screw so it does not go through the square nut and hit the handlebar. Main difference between the two shifters is the 9100 shifter has .775 side to side travel/play and the existing Ispec II levers only have .680. The picture is with 9000 brake and 9100 brake both with 9000 XTR shifters. The range of motion up and down will be more with the 9100 brakes, but they both go down the same amount and only the 9100 brake lets it move up much higher than the 9000 almost to the point where its almost 90 degree to the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 XTR Ispec EV-20181106_175909.jpg  

Last edited by tom tom; 11-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone who knows about an adapter from I-SPEC EV shifter to SRAM Guide brakes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsMTB View Post
    Anyone who knows about an adapter from I-SPEC EV shifter to SRAM Guide brakes?
    problemsolversbike.com is working on one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm waiting on an adapter to use an XTR iSpec EV Shifter with older I-Spec II (M8000) brakes!...Crossing my fingers for problem solvers or wolf tooth components to come out with an adapter soon!

MaL*size=
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I'm waiting on an adapter to use an XTR iSpec EV Shifter with older I-Spec II (M8000) brakes!...Crossing my fingers for problem solvers or wolf tooth components to come out with an adapter soon!
    same here, hope they release something, although I have read on a German forum that the new I-spec EV of the XTR M9100 new 12 speed shifter can be perfectly fitted with the shimano XT M800 right brake lever. The only thing needed is the plate used on I-spec II shifter, which is not include with the I-spec EV shifter, but it is compatible.

So shimano already makes that part, but what is the code, where to order it and what is the price.

Im in same situation that you, so looking to confirm this solution 100% before ordering either clamp xtr shifter or i-spec EV shifter...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    problemsolversbike.com is working on one.
    I wrote them and it might be a while before they have it ready

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    same here, hope they release something, although I have read on a German forum that the new I-spec EV of the XTR M9100 new 12 speed shifter can be perfectly fitted with the shimano XT M800 right brake lever. The only thing needed is the plate used on I-spec II shifter, which is not include with the I-spec EV shifter, but it is compatible.

So shimano already makes that part, but what is the code, where to order it and what is the price.

Im in same situation that you, so looking to confirm this solution 100% before ordering either clamp xtr shifter or i-spec EV shifter...
    Funny that you mention.... after weeks of waiting for something to come out, I found the same German forum just yesterday....(https://translate.google.com/transla...8/&prev=search) it seems to suggest that it works with just a new bolt (M5x12)... I cut my current M8000-Shifter and the adapter off of my bike this morning on my way to work, and grabbed the M9100 i-Spec EV Shifter thats been sitting hidden from my wife under the bed - and today I'll see if I can find a fastener to make them work together. I work at a robotics company, so I should have access to lots of fasteners...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Confirmed that the old i-Spec II connector works fine with the new shifter...you just need an M5x12 machine screw of some description ...This means I've held off on installing my new XTR Rear Derailleur for months for no reason! :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 XTR Ispec EV-img_4507.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Twiggy, you are right!
    I just got a MisMatch BR0397 in the mail, for my XTR M9100 shifter with SRAM Guide brakes.

2019 XTR Ispec EV-thumbnail_img_20190228_132231.jpg

2019 XTR Ispec EV-thumbnail_img_20190228_132252.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post
    For people that would like to run existing 11-speed Shimano that have Ispec II on the new Shimano XTR 9100 brakes it is very doable. You just need to remove the bracket that goes under the brake lever and then it will bolt directly to the new 9100 brakes and the only real mod is using a slightly shorter screw so it does not go through the square nut and hit the handlebar. Main difference between the two shifters is the 9100 shifter has .775 side to side travel/play and the existing Ispec II levers only have .680. The picture is with 9000 brake and 9100 brake both with 9000 XTR shifters. The range of motion up and down will be more with the 9100 brakes, but they both go down the same amount and only the 9100 brake lets it move up much higher than the 9000 almost to the point where its almost 90 degree to the ground.
    Wow this is good news! I have to try it tonight. Do you mind posting more pictures at different angles?

Thanks a lot.

MaL*size=
    Cool, then I will order my new XTR M9100 groupset with I-Spec EV shifter, instead of the clamp version I was planning. I already own a XT M8000 brakes, that use the I-spec II interface.

I will need these two shimano parts:

shimano Y03K31000
    Shimano Y01U98060

One is the curved plate, so the XTR M9100 shifter will be at a good position. The other is the bolt AND THAT SPECIAL NUT, which is a key part, the screw comes with the shifter or you can just use a proper titanium bolt and cut it to length.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Confirmed that the old i-Spec II connector works fine with the new shifter...you just need an M5x12 machine screw of some description ...This means I've held off on installing my new XTR Rear Derailleur for months for no reason! :P
    Hold on. I thought the OP was discussing how to fit the older XTR M9000 shifter (11 Speed) with the new XTR M9100 brake (for 12 Speed). Is that correct?

In your case, are you putting on the new 12 Speed shifter on the older 11 Speed Brakes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I should update now that I've put the shifter on my bike, mounted as described above to my M8000 brake levers. The Shifter definitely mounts, and I can definitely adjust to where I think I'll like it, but I do admit that some of the adjustability is lost due to interferance with the brake lever. I assume that any durutre I-Spec adapters by Wolftooth or Problem Solvers will likely address this. I'll use this as-is for now, but may still buy an adapter when one comes available!

mtbr member
    I should update now that I've put the shifter on my bike, mounted as described above to my M8000 brake levers. The Shifter definitely mounts, and I can definitely adjust to where I think I'll like it, but I do admit that some of the adjustability is lost due to interferance with the brake lever. I assume that any durutre I-Spec adapters by Wolftooth or Problem Solvers will likely address this. I'll use this as-is for now, but may still buy an adapter when one comes available!
    Edit: I've done this too, and it works well. All you need is the iSpec-II adapter (the thing that goes under the clamp on the brakes) and the iSpec-EV M9100 shifter mounts right up using the bolt and square nut provided with the shifter. Easy and has plenty of adjustability for me.
    Last edited by DrewBird; 03-07-2019 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    Hold on. I thought the OP was discussing how to fit the older XTR M9000 shifter (11 Speed) with the new XTR M9100 brake (for 12 Speed). Is that correct?

In your case, are you putting on the new 12 Speed shifter on the older 11 Speed Brakes?
    Correct- I'm mounting 9100 Shifters to M8000 Brake levers

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MaLoL View Post
    Cool, then I will order my new XTR M9100 groupset with I-Spec EV shifter, instead of the clamp version I was planning. I already own a XT M8000 brakes, that use the I-spec II interface.

I will need these two shimano parts:

shimano Y03K31000
    Shimano Y01U98060

One is the curved plate, so the XTR M9100 shifter will be at a good position. The other is the bolt AND THAT SPECIAL NUT, which is a key part, the screw comes with the shifter or you can just use a proper titanium bolt and cut it to length.
    Were you able to make this work? I'm about to grab the new XTR M9120 4-pot brakes but I am probably sticking to my 11-speed drivetrain for now.

I take it that attaching the older XTR m9000 shifter to the newer XTR M9120 brakes should be the same as the above, correct?

MaL*size=
    Yes, i did it, but the other way around: i used my older m8000 brakes with new xtr 9100 shifter. I just needed to het the shifter plate to the brake lever. In your case you dont need that, i think the new brake levers fit the 11 shifters perfectly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

MaL*size=
    Let's see if i can post some photos...

I got the new xtr m9100 shifter, with the older xt m8000 brake lever, i just had to buy the shimano plate to do this. I purchased a shimano xt m8000 right shifter cover, for 17, that came with the plate needed.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Nice, that combos work fine and look plenty of adjustability

MaL*size=
    Yes, there is more than enough horizontaladjustability to have the shifter too far or too close, and all the options in between. Regarding vertical adjustment, same thing. The brake lever is always there, so it is always the top end where you wanna have your shifter, so vertical adjustability not needed really, unless you like your brake levers very very horizontal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So so so happy I found this post. Yep just worked for me too for new xt 4pot brakes (m8120) with my existing xt 12spd m8000 shifter.

luckily I had exactly the screw I needed in some spares. Also it seems the ev bolt kit which comes with pnw loam dropper lever fits exactly.

Seems to fit perfectly

mtbr member
    Here are the parts needed to install Shimano 7100, 8100, and 9100 series shifter's on Shimano's 7, 8, and 9000 brakes. It gives you just as much of both side to side and up and down adjustment that ispec EV shifter's have on 7100, 8100, and 9100 series brakes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It's a confusing subject.
    8100 12 speed shifter, guide mmx brakes. Can it be done? If you have done it, what parts did you use?
    Please upload a pic.
    Wolftooth and Prob Solvers don't list ispecEV shifter to Guide MMX brake mounts.

It looks ^ like someone has used ispec2 shifter to MMX brake mounts with a 12 speed ispec ev shifter. Is that right? Does it work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jaame View Post
    It's a confusing subject.
    8100 12 speed shifter, guide mmx brakes. Can it be done? If you have done it, what parts did you use?
    Please upload a pic.
    Wolftooth and Prob Solvers don't list ispecEV shifter to Guide MMX brake mounts.

It looks ^ like someone has used ispec2 shifter to MMX brake mounts with a 12 speed ispec ev shifter. Is that right? Does it work?
    same questions ^ ! thanks!