Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    reply from R2bike, they have some customers with tgis problem. We need to wait next week because dt swiss is closed (xmas break!).

I think it's maybe a problem from dt, some production problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by andynunn View Post
    The problem is the flange on the microspline driver. I just got mine and it doesn't fit on any of my DT or Roval wheels. I put it in a drill press and turned down the flange. Works on all of them now. This thing is definitely not compatible with older hubs.
    The flange at the back needs to be the same size as the back part with DT Swiss printed on it for it to work.
    yes the flange touches the hub.

You have a photo of your modified driver?

you think that the driver is compatible with "news" hubs? dt release new hubs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sorry, no.
    For mine, the old driver had a diameter of 37.24mm while the new flange was 40.64mm.
    The wider part of the base that the cassette rests against was 37.2mm so I just removed the flange down to that diameter.
    The sealing face is actually the back so this doesn't have any effect on that.

I have some 2015 XM1501 wheels based on 240 hubs and they are the same. I'm not sure about the newest ones. I looked at pictures on the web site and they all looked the same as mine on the straight pull hubs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Explain, please. Mine performs flawlessly. Thanks.
    =sParty
    Same here, xtm8000 11-46 works perfectly for me and is a stellar value to boot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Same here, xtm8000 11-46 works perfectly for me and is a stellar value to boot.
    No one here is talking about XT 8000 hubs or cassettes, so what's your point?
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any sign of a release date for the chainrings and crank set?

Thx.

Interplanetary Poultry
    How about a US release for any of it?
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    My dealer is saying the drive train will be in next week. However, this is the same dealership that thought they would get the drive train in 4 weeks ago. Two weeks ago they told me early January.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been searching for the best deal on a 4-piece upgrade kit (1x12, 10-51).

The best deal I've found is Bike-Discount.de, about $554 US including shipping. However, they are not currently in stock.

The next best I've found is bike-components.de, which ends up around $605 US, shipped.

The best deal on ebay looks like $674 from China.

Has anyone found any other similar deals? Ideally I'd like to match the Bike Discount price without having to wait.

mtbr member
    I know Bike Components offer a price match. Called "price alert" or something similar. You might look in to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

The best deal I've found is Bike-Discount.de, about $554 US including shipping. However, they are not currently in stock.

The next best I've found is bike-components.de, which ends up around $605 US, shipped.

Has anyone found any other similar deals? Ideally I'd like to match the Bike Discount price without having to wait.
    I had been tring to buy an XTR Rear Derailleur from Chain Reaction before they stopped selling SHimano to North AMerica, but they were out of stock until new years eve day, then it seemed to ban me from seeing Shimano products a day early. Somehow I browsed the site listing another country as my country of origin, put it in my cart, and got it shipped to me for just over $200 CAD.....not bad!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    I had been tring to buy an XTR Rear Derailleur from Chain Reaction before they stopped selling SHimano to North AMerica, but they were out of stock until new years eve day, then it seemed to ban me from seeing Shimano products a day early. Somehow I browsed the site listing another country as my country of origin, put it in my cart, and got it shipped to me for just over $200 CAD.....not bad!
    Thatís because the UK is hours ahead of any state of the US, timezone difference and all. It was New Yearís Eve to you people, but in many places elsewhere, it was already New Yearís Day itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quality Bicycle Products Inc is saying 3-29 before shipping 2019 XTR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post

I have a four piece ispec ev 10-51 kit I would sell for $560 shipped.........
    Last edited by tom tom; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I (LBS & myself) installed the new drivetrain today. I got the 10-51, chain, rear der, DT Swiss freehub & Cap, and the 4 pot brakes. The local Shimano rep had informed him that the new XTR chain would work on my XT 8000 chain ring...it did not. The new XTR chain links are still the same length but there is enough of a change on how they are chamfer'd internally where only 2-3 links would lay flat then would rise up the rest of the chain ring and not settle into the teeth.
    We ended up installing a quite worn XT 8000 chain ring and throwing on a SRAM Eagle chain to get everything working. I wanted to get the new XTR cranks & ring but no one in the world seems to have those in stock. Hoping my current setup works until inventory builds up.

FWIW...I got all my stuff from bike-discount.de but ordered it in early Dec.

I'll test it out some tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the info Mike. That's super helpful. I had concerns about using other chainrings with the new chain and now it seems warranted.

It will be interesting if some third party solutions become available that will work with the new Shimano 12 speed chain but with older cranksets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Thanks for the info Mike. That's super helpful. I had concerns about using other chainrings with the new chain and now it seems warranted.

It will be interesting if some third party solutions become available that will work with the new Shimano 12 speed chain but with older cranksets.
    You are welcome...I too really wanted to use the new Shimano XTR chain as I like them a bit better then SRAM.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
    I (LBS & myself) installed the new drivetrain today. I got the 10-51, chain, rear der, DT Swiss freehub & Cap, and the 4 pot brakes. The local Shimano rep had informed him that the new XTR chain would work on my XT 8000 chain ring...it did not. The new XTR chain links are still the same length but there is enough of a change on how they are chamfer'd internally where only 2-3 links would lay flat then would rise up the rest of the chain ring and not settle into the teeth.
    We ended up installing a quite worn XT 8000 chain ring and throwing on a SRAM Eagle chain to get everything working. I wanted to get the new XTR cranks & ring but no one in the world seems to have those in stock. Hoping my current setup works until inventory builds up.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. Is your XT M8000 series chainring the original CRM80 model with 'large teeth' or the updated CRM81 model with narrow-wide teeth? I have an XTR CRM90 chainring that I am hoping will work with the new chain until the proper chainrings become available.
    My remaining groupset parts are held up in customs (2 weeks!) so I can't report back yet on the micro spline body fitting Roval Control SL's, chain working on a CRM90 ring, etc. Hopefully they will be delivered next week...sigh.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post

Cheers,
    Mike
    Good to know. I was planning on keeping my Absolute Black chainring but it looks like it may not work when I upgrade. . . .
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Good to know. I was planning on keeping my Absolute Black chainring but it looks like it may not work when I upgrade. . . .
    It may be ok, I just got a M9100 chain and it fits on a Wolftooth ring just like normal. I haven't ridden it yet, probably give it a try on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Me too, although my Absolute Black chainring is old enough that it might be a good time to replace it. I have RaceFace Next R cranks, so I need a chainring that will install on those.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works Boy View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Mike. Is your XT M8000 series chainring the original CRM80 model with 'large teeth' or the updated CRM81 model with narrow-wide teeth? I have an XTR CRM90 chainring that I am hoping will work with the new chain until the proper chainrings become available.
    My remaining groupset parts are held up in customs (2 weeks!) so I can't report back yet on the micro spline body fitting Roval Control SL's, chain working on a CRM90 ring, etc. Hopefully they will be delivered next week...sigh.
    I tried two different XT rings both of which are the CRM81's...one was 32T which was newer and a well worn 30T. Both did not work with the new XTR chain. I did test out a worn 32T Wolftooth elliptical (https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...bcd-chainrings) and the new XTR chain rested nicely on all the teeth for a full wrap. I didn't have this elliptical with me when installing at the LBS. I might try it out later but not sure how the new XTR rear der will like an elliptical for shifting.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    XTR 12 chain, derailleur, shifter with older xtr cranks and absolute black oval. Works ok but quick link is a problem with front chainring until worn in. I have chain guide installed, but without it, the front would slip off the AB oval on the largest rear gears. After a couple rides, everything is smooth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Works fine with the OneUp chainrings apart from the quick link. The link seems a little narrower than the standard chain links causing it to ride up on the wider tooth of the narrow wide. I replaced the XTR link with an Eagle Powerlink and it all works fine. Just another data point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Will the xtr 12 speed shifter work with a stock xtm8000 11 speed drivetrain to start in 11spd setting? Shifter is typically the biggest upgrade in the xtr line, looking forward to checking it out

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Will the xtr 12 speed shifter work with a stock xtm8000 11 speed drivetrain to start in 11spd setting? Shifter is typically the biggest upgrade in the xtr line, looking forward to checking it out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1AQfvgZ1DM

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would doubt it as the spacing is different. The new 11 speed still has the 12 speed spacing, they just dropped a cog which allowed them to make a wider flange hub.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Works fine with the OneUp chainrings apart from the quick link. The link seems a little narrower than the standard chain links causing it to ride up on the wider tooth of the narrow wide. I replaced the XTR link with an Eagle Powerlink and it all works fine. Just another data point.
    Nobody ever promised it would be an easy life as a fanboy, but dammit Shimano. Why do you always find a way to plop a little stinker in the punchbowl? Installing my M9100 chain tonight, in place of an Eagle X01 chain. Yes, the Shimano quicklink sucks. Pedaling on the workstand, it throws the chain off of my Wolftooth chainring. Unlike the Eagle quicklink, it doesn't have the inside plate chamfered groove for the wide part of the wide teeth, even though the rest of the chain does. So it is very likely to be tight at the quicklink in service. I am curious if Shimano is just running a narrower wide tooth than is the norm on their new 1x rings, or WTF they were thinking?

On the regular chain links, it also looks like the wide tooth chamfered groove is tighter linearly than the Eagle's, which will make it less likely to fit every chainring, which is particularly comical that some of you guys are reporting that it struggles to fit Shimano's own previous chainrings. From the rings I have laying around, mostly Wolftooth and a couple of cheapos, it fits them fine but with little room to spare. Otherwise fairly similar to the Eagle chain, except it has an inside and an outside like some previous Shimano chains and detail differences in the various chamfers. And you will likely need to buy an Eagle quicklink to go with it.
    Last edited by Velodonata; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am a complete sucker for the latest and greatest aftermarket pieces and supporting the small guys. At one point my drivetrain consisted of RF SixC cranks, WT Oval ring, XTR mechs, E13 TSR cassette and KMC chain. I didnt know how poorly my drivetrain was performing until I went homogeneous with Eagle. Until I can get my hands on the full set, I am (im)patiently sitting on the sideline rather than guinea pigging it, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    I am a complete sucker for the latest and greatest aftermarket pieces and supporting the small guys. At one point my drivetrain consisted of RF SixC cranks, WT Oval ring, XTR mechs, E13 TSR cassette and KMC chain. I didnt know how poorly my drivetrain was performing until I went homogeneous with Eagle. Until I can get my hands on the full set, I am (im)patiently sitting on the sideline rather than guinea pigging it, haha.
    I am similarly enthusiastic about supporting the small guys, the ones that deserve it. SRAM and Shimano have left some significant gaps in the marketplace over the years and then been slow to react. But if I can say this without sounding too harsh, that poor performing drivetrain is on you. There have been and still are hodgepodge combinations that work at least as well as pureblood drivetrains for certain performance goals.

Personally, I am not a fan of Eagle as a complete drivetrain, I have ridden it just enough times to have little desire to run it on my bikes. And unfortunately Shimano has really taken their sweet time about correcting their course from completely missing the initial 1x boom. But I have a drivetrain that I am very happy with until the M9100 stuff is widely available. And even then it is the new cassettes that I am most interested in.

I do agree that M9100 looks like a very solid full system solution for people that like to keep it all consistent, and it's the first group in a very long time that I expect I could happily run that way myself if presented with a so equipped bike.

mtbr member
    Same here, I have a new 30 tooth Race Face narrow wide and the Shimano quick link would ride up on the chainring, but with the Sram Eagle quick link it works great...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    I am similarly enthusiastic about supporting the small guys, the ones that deserve it. SRAM and Shimano have left some significant gaps in the marketplace over the years and then been slow to react. But if I can say this without sounding too harsh, that poor performing drivetrain is on you. There have been and still are hodgepodge combinations that work at least as well as pureblood drivetrains for certain performance goals.

Personally, I am not a fan of Eagle as a complete drivetrain, I have ridden it just enough times to have little desire to run it on my bikes. And unfortunately Shimano has really taken their sweet time about correcting their course from completely missing the initial 1x boom. But I have a drivetrain that I am very happy with until the M9100 stuff is widely available. And even then it is the new cassettes that I am most interested in.

I do agree that M9100 looks like a very solid full system solution for people that like to keep it all consistent, and it's the first group in a very long time that I expect I could happily run that way myself if presented with a so equipped bike.
    doesnt sound too harsh at all. what it does sound like is typical forum banter trying to win the internet and self bloviation based off of limited or incomplete data. you win.

in an effort to not digress....XTR for the win, in a homogeneous fashion for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    doesnt sound too harsh at all. what it does sound like is typical forum banter trying to win the internet and self bloviation based off of limited or incomplete data. you win.
    I'm glad you didn't take it personally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Anyone had any luck obtaining this low spacer post sale? I got mine from bike-discount about 3 weeks ago and wasnít included. After inquiring, theyíre only telling me that ďitís not available as a spare part yetĒ. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    I'm glad you didn't take it personally.
    That we can agree on.

Cross pollination of drivetrain components most often can and will work well together, at least for the short term. I've had both success and failure with that approach. What I haven't had failure with is a homogeneous approach, even in spite of my my apparent lack of drivetrain tuning skills. Without belaboring the point, reverting to an 1195 cassette and to a sram chain resolved the issue every single time. The performance issues were related to durability and premature wear, not to limit screw adjustments...confirmed by more than one mechanic.

But I digress....we have options and can customize as we individually see fit. If it works for [the collective] you, fantastic.

Back to your regularly programmed XTR content....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBieMTB View Post
    Anyone had any luck obtaining this low spacer post sale? I got mine from bike-discount about 3 weeks ago and wasnít included. After inquiring, theyíre only telling me that ďitís not available as a spare part yetĒ. Thanks.
    Well here's the part number for the Low Spacer.... Y1X401500

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thank you Tom Tom!

If anyone comes across a contact or something, please let me know; Bike-discount isnít being a whole lot of help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I have just finished my bikes. Seems to me Iíve been working quite a bit last year and Santa Claus remembered me.
    No spacers behind cassette but call to Shimano sales office confirmed that those will be delivered to me next week.
    Trek is missing chainring, I have XTR on order but also ordered Absolute Black to get it out faster.
    Cannondale is ready to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Do you have Shimano office phone number by any chance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I donít think you want to call to Sweden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I called Germany today... :-)

mtbr member
    I called Germany today... :-)
    Danke dir

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Uhm... they spoke English at Bike-Discount. Anyway, I did call the USA offices and they told me that the spacers were 2 months out. Thanks for the idea though, I dunno why I didnít think of it before.

mtbr member
    Uhm... they spoke English at Bike-Discount. Anyway, I did call the USA offices and they told me that the spacers were 2 months out. Thanks for the idea though, I dunno why I didnít think of it before.
    I'm guessing that all the XTR 9100 is still two months out in the USA............

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Anyone know if the new 12sp XTR rear mech will work with XT M8000 11sp group? My 11sp XT mech is toast and lbs don't have any but do have 12sp in stock. Would look to upgrade to full 9100 down the track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Sorry, no.
    For mine, the old driver had a diameter of 37.24mm while the new flange was 40.64mm.
    The wider part of the base that the cassette rests against was 37.2mm so I just removed the flange down to that diameter.
    The sealing face is actually the back so this doesn't have any effect on that.

I have some 2015 XM1501 wheels based on 240 hubs and they are the same. I'm not sure about the newest ones. I looked at pictures on the web site and they all looked the same as mine on the straight pull hubs.
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-03ced12c-e8b5-45d3-a15e-8a6d5da666e8.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-c980cd31-8cb9-4380-9e29-896e504bc52b.jpg
    I finally recieved my parts today and took these pics to show how the micro spline flange is too big to fit Ďintoí a Roval hub shell. From what I can see with DTís own hubs the free hub body sits level/flush with the hub shell (e.g XMC 1200ís mentioned above), but on Rovals the free hub body is slightly recessed into the hub shell. Roval owners are going to need to machine off the flange like Andy has done or hope DT makes a flangeless version ASAP. There must be other OEM hubs that recess the freehub body too. Anyway, Iím off to find a metal lathe...grrrrrr

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Does anyone have a guess on when the XT-12 speed version comes out? i mean XT as in 8000-series without the racy "R".
    I'm sure it is already developed and just held back for marketing purposes.

Maybe past history of how they staggered the 11-speed introduction could be a hint.

XTR is a bit pricey for me and I could live with a bit more weight.

the problem when googling for XT 12 speed is that Google always assumes I just forgot the "R" and shows me XTR stuff....
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Does anyone have a guess on when the XT-12 speed version comes out? i mean XT as in 8000-series without the racy "R".

Maybe past history of how they staggered the 11-speed introduction could be a hint.

the problem when googling for XT 12 speed is that Google always assumes I just forgot the "R" and shows me XTR stuff....
    Sounds like you answered your own question
    OG Ripley v2

Cleavage Of The Tetons

2 seasons would be my guess (before you can buy them)
    OEM spec in one.
    Last edited by rideit; 1 Week Ago at 10:18 AM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Shimano has always, like clockwork, released their groups with a year delay between. So XTR->XT->SLX(or LX)->Deore->Lower end.

They didn't even budge when they were cought with their pants down over 10 speed and just refreshed XTR/XT/SLX series with 10 speed variants.

We know we get new Saint this year and I gather 12 speed XT is also on the menu.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have just installed shimano 12 speed cassette, shifter, derailleur and chain with a RaceFace cinch crankset. Initially I got the same problem as others in that the shimano quicklink was pretty tight on the chainring and tended to derail the chain. However, that was with the derailleur clutch off, once I put the clutch on, the extra tension pulls the quicklink further onto the chainring teeth and runs without dropping. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but that should increase the chain tension even more and I am hoping it will run OK. Will try it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by EnMac View Post
    I have just installed shimano 12 speed cassette, shifter, derailleur and chain with a RaceFace cinch crankset. Initially I got the same problem as others in that the shimano quicklink was pretty tight on the chainring and tended to derail the chain. However, that was with the derailleur clutch off, once I put the clutch on, the extra tension pulls the quicklink further onto the chainring teeth and runs without dropping. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but that should increase the chain tension even more and I am hoping it will run OK. Will try it out tomorrow.
    This is how I've been running my setup for about 3 weeks now and haven't had any chain issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Had the same issue with Bike-Discount.
    They didn't understand what I was talking about, asking me to send them the cassette. only after sending them a picture of the missing spacer, they contacted shimano and a few days later told me they have sent the part( will take a month or so to get here).
    In the meantime I managed to get the part from the local Shimano dealer who received them a week before. basically it is a white thin spacer that sits on the back of the cassette. it is there only to prevent the extreme noise. embarrassing for Shimano, this is all I can say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnMac View Post
    Or you could just use a Sram Eagle Quicklink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03CED12C-E8B5-45D3-A15E-8A6D5DA666E8.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	1232467

Name:	C980CD31-8CB9-4380-9E29-896E504BC52B.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1232468
    I finally recieved my parts today and took these pics to show how the micro spline flange is too big to fit Ďintoí a Roval hub shell. From what I can see with DTís own hubs the free hub body sits level/flush with the hub shell (e.g XMC 1200ís mentioned above), but on Rovals the free hub body is slightly recessed into the hub shell. Roval owners are going to need to machine off the flange like Andy has done or hope DT makes a flangeless version ASAP. There must be other OEM hubs that recess the freehub body too. Anyway, Iím off to find a metal lathe...grrrrrr
    hi, I had the same problem with my roval hub. I finish to machine the flange.
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-whatsapp-image-2019-01-07-16.59.52.jpg

after the problem is gone.

Dt swiss replies to the shop that micro spline freehub is compatible only with the lastest dt hub and that dt don't know exactly the specs of roval hubs... for dt the micro spline in only for the latest dt hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tom tom View Post

I have xtr 12 speed with a xx1 crank and the same problem with the shimano quicklink. I mount a sram eagle quicklink and now it's ok.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Stamler View Post
    Had the same issue with Bike-Discount.
    They didn't understand what I was talking about, asking me to send them the cassette. only after sending them a picture of the missing spacer, they contacted shimano and a few days later told me they have sent the part( will take a month or so to get here).
    In the meantime I managed to get the part from the local Shimano dealer who received them a week before. basically it is a white thin spacer that sits on the back of the cassette. it is there only to prevent the extreme noise. embarrassing for Shimano, this is all I can say.
    I have this cassette without the spacer, I don't understant the role of the spacer, can you explain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I try yesterday my bike with the xtr 12 speed and I struggle to set up the system.

I follow manual instruction (limit screws and B tension ok, cable....).

when I change a gear, I have sometimes 2 gears changed for one click and at the end my shifter is quicker at the last speed (8 clicks for the 12 speed for example).

It's like speed 12-click-speed 11- click- speed 9....
    and impossible for me to rech speed 10.

I need to change something in the shifter?

I had before xtr 10 and 11speed, It was much easier!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    louit32 - nice job removing the flange!

mtbr member
    have you checked the hanger alignment? 12 speed is very sensitive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I suggest making sure the shifter is at it's high limit (least cable pull) and making sure the inner cable is pulled tight before attaching at the RD. If that's all good then look for drag in the cable, maybe a kink or something. The angle for the inner cable out of the RD is pretty extreme and the dumb coated cable starts to chafe almost immediately through the little plastic noodle.
    I found the setup with the XTR about a thousand times easier than Eagle. Took about ten minutes.

mtbr member
    Is the switch on the bottom of the shifter set to 12 speed?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    louit32 - nice job removing the flange!
    in fact, one gy here in this topic explain this option then one nice guy sent me an email with everything explained.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is the switch on the bottom of the shifter set to 12 speed?
    yes , set to 12 speed.

I'm going to check hanger and cable.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I rode the bike today with the Shimano quicklink and now its fine even without the clutch engaged. I think the shimano quicklinks are just a bit tight when new but soon ease off with use. Still going to order some Eagle links though just to be on the safe side

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I also got some CNCíing done today and my Rovals are good to go!
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-c23ec13f-f9e6-43ca-9ebc-e7daca18cad2.jpg
    2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-170eed22-41b9-47da-9a85-45edc0d34985.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also got some CNCíing done today and my Rovals are good to go!

Name:	C23EC13F-F9E6-43CA-9EBC-E7DACA18CAD2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	1232829

Name:	170EED22-41B9-47DA-9A85-45EDC0D34985.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	1232830
    nice, the set up is easy for you? on my epic 2018 I am struggling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Turns out I did not get the spacer with my cassette...nor did I get the low volume spacer in my backup cassette. MY LBS just called Shimano and he should get two volume spacers for me by early next week. The fine folks at Shimano are aware of the problem of missing spacers. I am guessing this is the cause of excessive creaking when putting the power down too.

I did just remove the cassette from the freehub body and really nice to see no hints of any marring in the microspline freehub body. The new lock ring design sure makes it a bit tougher to remove then in years past.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ok, here is the XTR 12 speed with a full SRAM Eagle drivetrain, working just fine. Anyone planning to use it in that combination?

https://youtu.be/aLrhdscfjhs
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    "Working Fine"
    Unless someone measures each step to confirm that they are exactly the same I highly advise against doing this. Most likely you will have several crap shifts across the range from the small differences in leverage ratio and cable pull.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    For those removing the flange such that the driver sits inside a Roval or older DT hub, are we just talking about removing the flange or actually machining the inner side diameter down ? Because I'm pretty handy with the tools and I could grind the flange flat with a flap disc, but not if there is some inner lip that needs to be a specific diameter.

I was gonna jump on this XTR as soon as I started riding this season but sounds like maybe its worth waiting until its officially available for sale in the US. Sounds like a pain tracking down that spacer if you buy off ebay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    ok, here is the XTR 12 speed with a full SRAM Eagle drivetrain, working just fine. Anyone planning to use it in that combination?

https://youtu.be/aLrhdscfjhs
    Saw that today, interesting, just not sure why one would want to buy new premium components to mix like that.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    "Working Fine"
    Unless someone measures each step to confirm that they are exactly the same I highly advise against doing this. Most likely you will have several crap shifts across the range from the small differences in leverage ratio and cable pull.
    Exactly, it may work fine in the stand clean and new and without load. But will it work "fine" when muddy and when shifting under load after it had some thousand miles on it?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I measured the cassettes and there are 0,15mm difference in spacing. Shimano being more narrow. Even if adjusted perfectly in the center of cassette there will be 1mm difference at the ends. And when adjustments are 1mm off there will be noise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just removing the flange. Honestly, it's pretty easy.

damned rocks...
    In all honesty, I think DT added the flange just so the freehub wouldn't be compatible with Roval hubs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    All valid points, however in the past we've never came close to SRAM and Shimano working together. Actully we had the Zee 10 speed working with SRAM 9 speed, kind of.
    When the XT and SLX come out the whole "expensive why mix" approach might change.
    The 1mm difference between cassettes is there, however the shifting on the stand with no load is as close to perfect as it gets, did not notice any unusual rubbing, noises from the drivetrain. We'll know a lot more in spring with some miles put on it, but I don't plan to replace the shifter with a SRAM Eagle one on that bike.

Saw that today, interesting, just not sure why one would want to buy new premium components to mix like that.

Exactly, it may work fine in the stand clean and new and without load. But will it work "fine" when muddy and when shifting under load after it had some thousand miles on it?
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    In all honesty, I think DT added the flange just so the freehub wouldn't be compatible with Roval hubs.
    Yes, but it doesn't fit the older (2015) DT hubs either.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Just got a notification that my Absolute Black chainring just shipped from Germany, so I will have my complete XTR bike (almost) rideable in a week or two.
    Now the only thing that I donít have is the spacer...

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You can ride without it. I didnít notice any difference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    All valid points, however in the past we've never came close to SRAM and Shimano working together.
    My XTR Di2 rear derailleur shifts PERFECTLY with a KMC 11speed chain on a SRAM 11speed XX0 cassette. I have never had a mis-shift or trouble getting any gears. The Di2 stuff interfaces with my Garmin and counts the shifts during a ride. I did a 5 1/2 hour race just over a year ago and it counted over 800 shifts. Not a single problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic View Post
    My XTR Di2 rear derailleur shifts PERFECTLY with a KMC 11speed chain on a SRAM 11speed XX0 cassette. I have never had a mis-shift or trouble getting any gears. The Di2 stuff interfaces with my Garmin and counts the shifts during a ride. I did a 5 1/2 hour race just over a year ago and it counted over 800 shifts. Not a single problem.
    Di2 does rock. My Farley has a 10-42 XXO shifted by XTR and works perfectly for a cable pull system. My Di2 set up is all XT except for the SL KMC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    hey everyone! from what i see, if i use my XT M8000 boost crank with AB 32T chainring which already have on my 11.46T setup, the only thing to look will be replace the quicklink with eagle one?. (ordered a new custom wheelset with + spline part as spare so i can replace it when i get the 12speed parts).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

12 speed XTR spacer

Here it is folks, the elusive 12 speed XTR spacer. Itís a very flimsy, thin transparent piece of plastic, measuring about 1 1/2Ē in diameter (I had to photograph it in shadow, so that it can be viewed a bit better). I want to thank Michael from Shimano for helping and sending it to me.

2018 Shimano XTR 12-speed-802c291d-62df-461a-83d2-fc37276b013f.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Here it is folks, the elusive 12 speed XTR spacer. Itís a very flimsy, thin transparent piece of plastic, measuring about 1 1/2Ē in diameter (I had to photograph it in shadow, so that it can be viewed a bit better). I want to thank Michael from Shimano for helping and sending it to me.

Name:	802C291D-62DF-461A-83D2-FC37276B013F.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	1233261
    How thick is this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Super thin.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    So, I got my Absolute Black chainring, so now my Yeti is complete!

Quick Q for those of you with the cranks, how did you fill the space on the non-drive side spindle? I happened to have a bunch of 24mm Wheels Manufacturing spacers and a perfect rubber gasket, curious what you all did. Here is the space:

Here is how I filled it:

Thoughts?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    That canít be right... did you follow the instructions?

Hereís the instructional video: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/interactive/xtr/m9100/video
    (select FRONT CHAINWHEEL)

And instructions: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/iDM/MAFC...llh_ls2_cdb_hm

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Interesting. However, I think that my method (spacers on the spindle) will work just as well as spacers in between the bb shell and the BB. I will try my method first, and see if there are any problems. Iíll keep everyone updated.

Iíll check my chainline/shifting to see if it needs any tweaking first.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Interesting. However, I think that my method (spacers on the spindle) will work just as well as spacers in between the bb shell and the BB. I will try my method first, and see if there are any problems. Iíll keep everyone updated.

It looks like you got fat bike cranks.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have Trek PF90 (or whatever itís called) and i followed instructions. Mine looks like this

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have just finished my bikes. Seems to me Iíve been working quite a bit last year and Santa Claus remembered me.
    No spacers behind cassette but call to Shimano sales office confirmed that those will be delivered to me next week.
    Trek is missing chainring, I have XTR on order but also ordered Absolute Black to get it out faster.
    Cannondale is ready to go.[/QUOTE]

Are Absolute Black doing a non oval ring to fit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Not that I know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So, I got my Absolute Black chainring, so now my Yeti is complete!

Quick Q for those of you with the cranks, how did you fill the space on the non-drive side spindle? I happened to have a bunch of 24mm Wheels Manufacturing spacers and a perfect rubber gasket, curious what you all did. Here is the space:

Here is how I filled it:

Thoughts?
    that 100% is not right, never in a million years is that correct!

EDIT : and I would 100% NOT be riding it like that either!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Do you have boost (148) or non-boost (142) bike as they looks like boost crank. Note that left arm is the same in both and only right side differs. Chain line is the same 52mm on both.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKoo View Post
    Do you have boost (148) or non-boost (142) bike as they looks like boost crank. Note that left arm is the same in both and only right side differs. Chain line is the same 52mm on both.
    All Boost.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    The referenced Shimano instructions state that you do not need a spacer between the bb shell and the bb for a 92mm wide shell (which I believe the SB100 is). The Shimano instructions and video show a spacer on spindle on the left side between the bottom bracket and the crank arm - just as you have done. I am unclear on the size of spacer and how much space the adjuster on the crank arm can take up. Let us know how your method works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OG Ripley v2

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmosley View Post
    The referenced Shimano instructions state that you do not need a spacer between the bb shell and the bb for a 92mm wide shell (which I believe the SB100 is). The Shimano instructions and video show a spacer on spindle on the left side between the bottom bracket and the crank arm - just as you have done. I am unclear on the size of spacer and how much space the adjuster on the crank arm can take up. Let us know how your method works.
    Will do. I ordered a 2.5, .7, and .5 BB spacer set from QBP, but really just to adjust chain line a bit if my setup is too far inboard on the drive side. I may not even need them.

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by Didzy2009 View Post
    that 100% is not right, never in a million years is that correct!

EDIT : and I would 100% NOT be riding it like that either!
    What, exactly, are you afraid will happen?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

since 4/10/2009
    What, exactly, are you afraid will happen?
    Catch fire and explode, probably.

I mean, really, that is exactly how this sort of crank (self extracting crank bolt with preload ring) is supposed to be installed - with spindle spacers. So the cobbled solution isn't pretty....it works.

Sure, hardly anyone uses 24mm spindle spacers. 30mm spindle spacers are super common and widely available. But now that shimano has rather inexplicably changed their crank attachment method, we have setups that require 24mm spindle spacers. Also not terribly surprising to see some of these small parts not included in the early packaging. I experienced the same thing when I bought Race Face Turbine CINCH cranks right after they came out. They didn't come with enough spindle spacers.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast