mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2012 HARDROCK SPORT DISC 29 chainring

Hi,

I have 2012 HARDROCK SPORT DISC 29 that I used to ride some what pretty often for first 2-3 years then put away since youngest one was born. I started to ride it again couple of months ago but on paved trail right next to my back yard 4-7 days a week. It is 16 mile ride that I put road tires till I get back in some what good enough shape before I ride offroad again. Then I noticed it was hard to shift front gear to lowest last night I was checking my bike thinking it was front derailleur but I saw one of low(smallest one?) teeth was chipped off and it was making clacking noise. Not sure how that happened but I guess I need to replace that. Is it as simple as just buying any 22 teeth ring and replace it? Is it better idea to replace all 3? It is SR Suntour that came with the bike which is 42/32/22.

Thanks
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Also, is it better to upgrade to something else?

Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    Hi,

I have 2012 HARDROCK SPORT DISC 29 that I used to ride some what pretty often for first 2-3 years then put away since youngest one was born. I started to ride it again couple of months ago but on paved trail right next to my back yard 4-7 days a week. It is 16 mile ride that I put road tires till I get back in some what good enough shape before I ride offroad again. Then I noticed it was hard to shift front gear to lowest last night I was checking my bike thinking it was front derailleur but I saw one of low(smallest one?) teeth was chipped off and it was making clacking noise. Not sure how that happened but I guess I need to replace that. Is it as simple as just buying any 22 teeth ring and replace it? Is it better idea to replace all 3? It is SR Suntour that came with the bike which is 42/32/22.

Thanks
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    better to upgrade to something else, however, you can get a new small chainring for $8. If you want to upgrade, get a deore crankset and bottom bracket off jenson for $50, or buy a new vuelta crankset for $25 and cartridge bottom bracket for $20. If you have the tools and willing to learn, it's super easy. Either way, you'll have to remove the crankset, so if you don't have the tools, buy the tools. It's easy.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"