mtbr member
    Jun 2012

1x conversion front chainring selection

I have an older 650b hardtail that I'm wanting to upgrade to a 1x setup. This bike is particularly used for more street type riding with maybe a little riding offroad from time to time, nothing very intensive. I have another bike I use primarily for trails so this one doesn't need to climb very much.

Currently it has a 10spd 2x setup with 38/24 up front and 11-36T cassette. I utilize the 38t most of the time and cruise at some of the taller gears on the street, the 24 doesn't get utilized hardly ever. The 38t is wearing down and is needing to be replaced and because of this I was just going to drop down to 1x narrow wide.

My question is, I was thinking of upgrading to a narrow wide 1x setup and get a race face aeffect crank but I'm unsure which front chain ring to get, would 34t suffice? Should I look at changing out the rear cassette for something with more top end?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    If the 38t is working fine then I would stick with that size. If your not going to be climbing at all then you don't need a wider cassette in the rear.

I switched from a 3x8 42/32/22T 11-34 to 1x11 32T Oval 11-42 but I do some climbing so that 42 is nessasary and amazing. The Absolute Black Oval chainring is awesome too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It looks like most of the companies that make oval chainrings only go up to 36t. That might be worth going for with my setup regardless. What's so good about the oval ones?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    It smoothes out the pedal stroke which for me was I could feel instantly.

"Oval chainrings work because a rider does not produce power evenly through a pedal stroke; they maximize the part of the stroke where power is produced and minimize resistance where it isn't. Oval rings make the spin cycle a lot smoother and are easier on legs while climbing. Believe it (or not), but a round chainring doesn't transfer torque to your rear wheel as smoothly as an Oval one. You will actually feel your stroke to be more "round" with an Oval shape than with a round chainring.

... Your legs will be less tired and your speed improved. Climbing will become easier then ever before. It is world's best oval chainring."

https://youtu.be/LC76QTHfb-o

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I might just have to go 36t. I see none of those in 38t unless they are for cyclocross bikes at 110bcd.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    For the road an oval is mostly a waste of time. Just get a 38t round ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    For the road an oval is mostly a waste of time. Just get a 38t round ring.
    Good to know. I'll go that route.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Absoluteblack only goes to 36t in the MTB listing, but for CX, Gravel, and Road they go all the way up to at least 54t. Edit: didnít read your post fully. You can use a Gravel or CX one, no problem. The only difference is they use the big tooth CG and list them separately there while MTB doesnít.

I run a 36t Absoluteblack oval CG with e13 9-46t 12-spd cassette on my HT, which I ride it on the street and concrete trail for exercise/training when the dirt trails are rained out/flooded. I disagree that oval is a waste for the street. You could say the same thing for MTB too. I have a RF Cinch crank that lets me run the oval CG in an advanced power position. I donít need much of a down slope to hammer down on the 9t cog and top out. A real blast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    Absoluteblack only goes to 36t in the MTB listing, but for CX, Gravel, and Road they go all the way up to at least 54t. Edit: didnít read your post fully. You can use a Gravel or CX one, no problem. The only difference is they use the big tooth CG and list them separately there while MTB doesnít.

I run a 36t Absoluteblack oval CG with e13 9-46t 12-spd cassette on my HT, which I ride it on the street and concrete trail for exercise/training when the dirt trails are rained out/flooded. I disagree that oval is a waste for the street. You could say the same thing for MTB too. I have a RF Cinch crank that lets me run the oval CG in an advanced power position. I donít need much of a down slope to hammer down on the 9t cog and top out. A real blast.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking about, RF Aeffect cinch with either a 36 or 38t. I can't decide. I might require a new cassette and chain to go with it, the bike gets rode a lot.

My other bike has a 32t with an eagle 12 and it still feels fine on flat ground, although it's overkill. I'm going to keep it strictly for trail use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If you want a true apples to apples comparison, go to one of the calculator sites (Bike Gears calculator is good, and lets you add other builds side-by-side for a direct compare) and put in your current setup and other options. That way you can see exactly how changing the front to a 36 would affect your range, and what you would need to go to on the back to get a similar low and high ratio.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice site. Not liking the range from 36T unless I go with 11-42. I might just stick with 38T.