1997 Specialized Rockhopper - Crankset Replacement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

1997 Specialized Rockhopper - Crankset Replacement

Hello. I have a 1997 Specialized Rockhopper which the threading inside the bottom bracket for the left crank arm has stripped out of. The left crank arm has also been destroyed from wear on the inside square-taper. I would like to replace the bottom bracket and crankset for as cheap as humanly possible without sacrificing my safety.

Can anyone tell me if there is a generic size/make/model bottom bracket and crankset that would work for this application? I haven't taken the bottom bracket out so I don't know what's in there currently. I thought some of you folks may know something which will work before I start breaking it down; allowing me to order the part now.

Thanks for any help with this. Sorry for being such a novice.

-Kyle
    Last edited by KBfromVT; 04-25-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Shell is 68mm wide, the spindle is crankset specific.

A Shimano Alivio FC-M410 is a good square taper 7/8 speed replacement. It uses a 113mm spindle for a 50mm chainline, but your old crankset would have been closer to a 47.5mm chainline so I'd go with a 68mm x 110mm bottom bracket. A Shimano BB-UN26 would be the Alivio level model, or you could spend a little more for the BB-UN54 that will be a little lighter and have nicer bearings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the response MTNBIKER72.

I found the UN-26 for $10 and the FC-M410 for $35 on www.jensonusa.com so I'm just going to run with that. Are Jenson any good? Know of any other/better places to buy components such as this?

I need to buy a bottom bracket tool (found Park Tool BBT-22) correct? I have 3/8" ratchet and hex drivers already. Anything else I should buy for this repair?

Price-wise this is turning out better than I anticipated.

Thank you again!!

-Kyle
    Last edited by KBfromVT; 04-25-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    You'll need a crank puller, at least for the drive side

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nk+Puller.aspx

Jenson USA is fine, looks like you got everything else. Just make sure you buy the square taper FC-M410 and not the splined (both are listed).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Finally getting around to ordering these parts. I need to find a replacement crank arm which it looks like I've done. One other question I had though was I need some new crank arm bolts, or at least one anyway. If I'm getting a Shimano UN-26 and have these square taper Specialized crank arms (1997) are there some "universal" crank arm bolts I can buy that would work for this application? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Former Bike Wrench
    M8 crank bolts

Members who have read this thread: 2