mtbr member
    Dec 2012

11 Speed Bike with t30 Chainring on crank... Should I go to t32, t34 or t36???

Loving my single speed 27.5" Bantam, but I find I never use the largest 3 gears on my back cassette. I would like to get the most out of my 11 gears since that is all I have. The gearing already seems pretty close so I'm thinking 32t or 34t, but I was wondering if there is some formula to come up with exactly which one to get for me to be able to start using the last 3 gears on my 11 speed rear cassette.

If you need any other info just ask... Thank you
    Last edited by Tjeep_1999; 11-01-2015 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Do you ever run out of the small gears? Is your top speed limited by the strength of your legs or by running out of gears?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    It all depends on what your average ride is and if it's your only bike.
    I have to compromise between my local rides which like you I rarely use the largest 3 cogs on the cassette.
    However on the occasion I do a big ride in big hills, I need those 3 gears.
    If you ride the big hills and still not use those gears (good for you! ) then go up a couple of teeth on your chainring.
    You might find that going from 30t to 32t might not change it enough to notice anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjeep_1999 View Post
    Loving my single speed 27.5" Bantam, but I find I never use the largest 3 gears on my back cassette. I would like to get the most out of my 11 gears since that is all I have. The gearing already seems pretty close so I'm thinking t32 or t34, but I was wondering if there is some formula to come up with exactly which one to get for me to be able to start using the last 3 gears on my 11 speed rear cassette.

If you need any other info just ask... Thank you
    Here's a gear calculator that you can input all of your info into for both setups and compare. It helped me figure out that a Shimano 11 speed 11-42 with a 34T chainring would be perfect, and it seems to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I looked at the link for the gear calculator... I'm going to have to look again when it's not so early in the morning My derailleur wasn't listed and it was a lot of info on the page I didn't track with 100% this early in the morning. Is there a rule of thumb that for every 2 teeth you add it's like shifting "x" gears in the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Do you ever run out of the small gears? Is your top speed limited by the strength of your legs or by running out of gears?
    My top speed is limited b/c I run out of gears and even on steep hills I do not use the top 3 gears. Do you think 32t will be enough of a change to get me into those gears?

Formerly of Kent
    Dude, putting the "T" in front of the number is killing me. It's not a "tooth-30" chainring. Argh. It's a 30T chainring, for "30 tooth". You're killing me.

That said, unless you're hitting 140-150rpm, you aren't "maxed out".
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Dude, putting the "T" in front of the number is killing me. It's not a "tooth-30" chainring. Argh. It's a 30T chainring, for "30 tooth". You're killing me.

That said, unless you're hitting 140-150rpm, you aren't "maxed out".
    T = tooth. Got it. Thanks for the heads up.

This is the first bike new bike I've bought in over 18 years... A lot has changed in regards to the fact that there are a ton of options now and to be frank it's a bit overwhelming. I appreciate all of the input from this forum. You guys have been great.

As for "maxing out" what I mean to say is I try to pedal at a pretty even pace and change speeds mostly by switching gears not by drastically changing my pedaling speed.

Unless I get some new information I'm now leaning towards the 32t.

mtbr member
    Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator
    ^^^this one is really simple to use.
    Adding 2T doesn't do much, but adding 4 basically equates to using the next highest gear.
    I'm going the other way, and will be replacing my new 1x setup's 32T chainring with a 28T. Just moves everything over one(ratios remain almost identical), so I lose a gear on the high end and gain one on the low.

it's....
    ^^^I agree with 4t increase^^^
    I've done both 2t and 4t and 2t is barely noticeable.
    Even with 36t you probably won't use the last cog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I guess I won't really know until I get out on the trails with it, but you guys have talked me into going with the 4t increase to 34t. It's going on the Christmas list, but I'll try and post back with the results after it's installed and i have a few rides on on the new chain ring. Thank you for all of the info/input!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjeep_1999 View Post
    My top speed is limited b/c I run out of gears and even on steep hills I do not use the top 3 gears. Do you think 32t will be enough of a change to get me into those gears?
    I would recommend either 34 or 36. I have 20/36 on my 2x9 MTB and I am using 38 on my 1x9 with slicks. 36 is good for me with knobby tires on mostly level ground.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I went with a 34 tooth, 11-40. With a 26er, I feel it is a perfect set-up.