Thread: 11-42 vs 10-42

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

11-42 vs 10-42

Currently running the m8000 cassette with GX hardware and 32t . New wheels are XD compatible, and was wondering if the benefit of going SRAM 10-42 and down to 30t. - thanks

mtbr member
    There are gear calculators online. Are you struggling with your climb?
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    No not really I just wanted to know what people thought of the small cog at 10 vs 11

mtbr member
    SRAM did a study a while back. I don't know what the link is but it's not until 9 teeth where your gears start turning for the worst. I haven't felt any degrading affects on my 10. If you have the ability to do it, I saw give it a shot!
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

mtbr member
    If you are lacking a gear either on the top or low end consider it, otherwise why bother?

mtbr member
    If you can get more range why not do it? The gx cassette is the same price as the XT and while it is not lighter, the XD driver is. So you come out with more range and a lighter system

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    If you can get more range why not do it? The gx cassette is the same price as the XT and while it is not lighter, the XD driver is. So you come out with more range and a lighter system
    I agree. More range and less weight are a good thing! Actually though the SRAM 1150 GX cassette is 394g and the XT M8000 is 433g.

SRAM XG-1150 11 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA

Shimano XT CS-M8000 11 Speed Cassette > Components > Drivetrain > Cassettes | Jenson USA

Food for thought, the new E13 cassette due to come out here soon has a 9-44 range and a weight of 320g. Though I bet the cost will be more in line with a 1195 X01 or 1199 XX1 level cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I guess I was also thinking why not and also because all other parts to drive chain are SRAM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Also I realize 10 vs 11 might not be a huge difference to the one end but I was wondering if anyone out there feels especially strong towards one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    SRAM did a study a while back. I don't know what the link is but it's not until 9 teeth where your gears start turning for the worst. I haven't felt any degrading affects on my 10. If you have the ability to do it, I saw give it a shot!
    BMX was way ahead on the micro gear front. I think George French, of G-sport, did an engineering analysis of micro gears like 15 years ago and concluded that 9t was actually too small to be ideal. Obviously this hasn't stopped it from becoming dominant(only) size used on freestyle bikes these days, but I'd still have a hard time recommending it for a hoss.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Carter View Post
    Also I realize 10 vs 11 might not be a huge difference to the one end
    It's the same as the difference between 40 and 44 at the other end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Carter View Post
    Also I realize 10 vs 11 might not be a huge difference to the one end but I was wondering if anyone out there feels especially strong towards one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The difference is minimal, and non existent if you use Shimano 1145. I have installed 1140 + 45 One-up cog and shifting with XT M800 + XTR is great.

I must say that at least where I ride 11 speed 1145 is turning out to be an overkill. My new Mojo HD3 is incredibly efficient uphill, the Gamaruk Oval seem to help a lot in technical situations, I definitely downshift less, and the result is that with 30T upfront I almost never use my 40 cog ... not to mention the 45 ...

Go Shimano 1142, or 1145, or wait a few months since Shimano might be coming up with 1146 Spy Shot: Prototype 11-46 Wide Range Shimano Cassette. Standard hub, perfect shifting, all the range you will ever need unless maybe if you are crossing the Alps (stick with dual in that case!).

Members who have read this thread: 9