10 Speed SLX Crankset with 9 Speed Group - Front Derailleur is not working.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

10 Speed SLX Crankset with 9 Speed Group - Front Derailleur is not working.

Hello all.

I recently bought the Shimano SLX 10-speed triple ring crankset from JensonUSA after reading that it would work with my existing system on a few forums.

Now that I have it all installed, I'm wishing I had just gone with a 9-speed crank. While swapping cranksets, I also switched from a square-taper non-external bottom bracket to the SM-BB70 Shimano Bottom Bracket. I used all of the provided spacers because my bikes FD mounts on the tubing of the bike.

As soon as I slid the new crankset in I knew that the FD wouldn't work. The arm wouldn't swing out far enough.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Are there 10-speed specific front derailleurs? Did I install the BB incorrectly?

I can always return the whole order if necessary.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Did you back out the high limit screw? If you changed the crank you'll need to adjust the FD to match. Check out the link

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Front Derailleur Adjustments

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I played with the whole setup for about 3 hours last night.. Pretty sure at some point I fiddled with that screw, but not completely sure right now because it was so late.

So if I'm still using a 9 speed chain, I should be able to keep my current FD?

Edit: Also, in order to achieve the best possible shifting, should I pick up a different set of spacers or something? Are these swappable between cranksets?
    Last edited by dwhatley; 01-31-2013 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If you have a 9spd cassette the 9spd chain is ok. Measure you chainline from the center of the seat tube to the center of the two chainrings. It should be arounf 48mm. If it's a lot more your square taper BB may be too long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not familiar with the term chainline... Also I have 3 chainrings, not 2. Do you mean to measure from the BB compartment to the middle ring?

Nevermind.. Looked it up like I should have in the first place.
    All About Bicycle Chainline

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Did you measure the width of your bottom bracket?
    If it is 68mm then you are correct, you use all of the spacers. One on the non-drive side and 2 on the drive side.
    The new cranks have a slightly different chain line than older cranksets. They are about 3 mm more outboard. You will need to adjust your front derailleur limit screws - there should be enough adjustment to make that up.
    If you still have trouble, you can move one of the drive side spacers to the non-drive side, assuming the chainrings don't hit the chainstay. This will move your crank and chainline over 2.5mm. This won't hurt anything and will actually improve your chainline.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I watched a Hollowtech II install video online and I think I found my problem: I didn't insert the main crank in far enough. I was trying to figure out what the little plastic cap that came with the crankset was for, because I couldn't get it to screw into anything.

The reason I couldn't get it screwed in was because the crank arm wasn't pushed all the way through.

I'll verify when I get home, but I'm pretty sure this was my issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0