mtbr member
    Oct 2015

10 speed shimano clutch on 8 speed sram shifters

Hey all, I've been doing some research on the topic and it seems doable. It is well documented that the 10 speed shimano derailleur will work with sram 9 speed shifters. I've seen one post saying he'd successfully done it on 8 speed, but no details. And a 8 speed chain does clear the derailleur without rubbing. And the sram 7,8,9 speed are cross compatible. So this means it'll work right? I'm trying to simplify my hardtail to make it through the next year by going 1x8. I'm tired of my chain slapping around up front. I need to do this as cheap as possible as I'm a college kid saving for a 29er enduro. TIA.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If the 8-speed chain clears the derailure, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I do have some reservations about using an 8-speed chain with a 10-speed derailure, but if you get some chain snags, go with a 9-speed chain. It'll still work with an 8-speed cassette.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So derailleur pull and stuff will be good? I've seen you need to put about a 6mm spacer on the anchor screw to get the pull ratio closer to 1:1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK51AudiB5 View Post
    So derailleur pull and stuff will be good? I've seen you need to put about a 6mm spacer on the anchor screw to get the pull ratio closer to 1:1.
    I can't imagine that going well, I would consider getting some sort of chain tensioner/guide instead.

Here, diagonally!
    I never thought I'd see this question asked. Funny thing is that I'm currently running an SRAM 8-speed shifter with a Shimano Zee 10-speed derailleur.

I'm running a custom stack of 6 cogs that are optimally spaced for my setup. You are running an 8-speed cassette correct? I've not actually tried that. I think it would work fine although the indexing is not perfect.

8-speed spacing: 4.8mm
    Sram 8-speed shifter = 4.3mm pull X Shimano 10-speed derailleur 1.16 ratio = 4.988.

Each shift is off .188 on the indexing. The big and little cogs are controlled by the limit screws, so that leaves 5 shifts where the indexing will be off.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If the 8-speed chain clears the derailure, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I do have some reservations about using an 8-speed chain with a 10-speed derailure, but if you get some chain snags, go with a 9-speed chain. It'll still work with an 8-speed cassette.
    Good point. I did initially use an 8-speed chain and it seemed a little noisy with the 10-speed derailleur. I think it was a very slight interference with the derailleur cage. I'm currently running a 10-speed chain as that was what was in my garage. No problems with that, but agree that 9-speed would probably be best.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes. 11-34 shimano 8 speed cassette. So if I can do the calculations to get the ratio from 1.16 to 1.116 it'll shift correctly, right?

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by AK51AudiB5 View Post
    Yes. 11-34 shimano 8 speed cassette. So if I can do the calculations to get the ratio from 1.16 to 1.116 it'll shift correctly, right?
    Yep. Probably not needed but that would get you the correct indexing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    So I'll still be able to find my gears quickly even without it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seems odd but yes, it should work with the cable spacer. If you adjust for perfect alignment in the middle gear in the cassette then the accumulated error across the other gears will be less.