10 Speed Derailluer with 9 Speed System- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

10 Speed Derailluer with 9 Speed System

Hey Guys,

Hopefully this isn't beating a dead horse, I could'nt find any other threads.

Has anyone tried or know if a 10 speed (rear) derailluer will work with a 9 speed system? I don't really need or want to completely upgrade to a 10 speed system, but I definetly want the benefits of a clutch derailluer.

My thinking is that the shifter completely controls what the derailluer does anyway (indexing, how far the cable moves to complete a shift, etc.) so I'm thinking all I will need to do is ensure the limits are set properly and I should be good?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Difference in cable pull per cog between the Shimano 9-sp and 10-sp MTB parts. So that will mess up the indexing:
    - http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...ms-646014.html

Likely you would need to do some mods to make it work since the shifter will be pulling "X" cable and the RD will be expecting "Y" amount of cable pulled. If X is not equal to Y, then you have problems.

Now with friction shifting, you may be able to get away with it. I recently swapped from a 6-sp freewheel to a 10-sp cassette on my touring bike w/ friction shifters. Just dialed in the hi and lo limit screws and it shifts perfect with a 9-sp RD.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would be inclined to go with that, but the derailluers arent "expecting" any amount of cable movement (aside from the increased total range of a 10 speed system vs a 9). They are completely free moving throughout their entire range of movement. So, 10 speed systems have less movement, for narrower profiles and chains, but that amount of movement all comes from the shifter.

So throwing hypothetical numbers, if 9 speed systems have 5mm of movement between gears, and 10 has 3, the derailluer only moves 5 or 3mm because thats what the shifter tells it to do. And if I've got 9 speed amount of cable pull, matching up with the 9 speed physical space between cogs, then it should work.

I have X0 shifters, and will probably just get an X9 derailluer which are like $100, so even experimenting, it wont be a bank breaking proposition. And if it doesnt work I suppose I can just sell the 10 speed X9.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You didn't see the sticky at the top of the page? I think if you read it you'll find your answer on one of those pages.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10 View Post
    I would be inclined to go with that, but the derailluers arent "expecting" any amount of cable movement
    If you pull the cable "X" mm on a 9 speed derailleur, the rear derailleur moves "X" amount - on SRAM, 9 speed are 1 to 1 ratio so a 2mm pull moves 2 mm.
    On 10 speed derailleurs, cable pull of X moves the rear derailleur Y amount.

mtbr member
    Yes. Run a SRAM X7, X9, or X0 9speed rear shifter to a Shimano Shadow+ 10speed derailleur. Both use the same cable pull.

SRAM 9speed shifter can be run with Shimano 10spd rear derailleur. Shimano 10spd shifter can be run with 9spd SRAM rear derailleur. Funny but works.