10 Speed 3x shifter with 9 speed front derailluer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

10 Speed 3x shifter with 9 speed front derailluer

Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot on the forums and still can't find my answer.

I have a Shimano XT 10 speed 2x,3x front shifter. Will this shifter pod work with a 9 speed front derailleur?

mtbr member
    Yes, the pull in the front is the same. Even a SRAM front shifter will work. You will most likely use 3x mode, even with a 2 ring setup and a bash guard. The 2X setting is for newer 2x10 cranks. From what I understand, in 2 x mode is like locking the shifter to the middle and upper rings, skipping the granny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    Yes, the pull in the front is the same. Even a SRAM front shifter will work. You will most likely use 3x mode, even with a 2 ring setup and a bash guard. The 2X setting is for newer 2x10 cranks. From what I understand, in 2 x mode is like locking the shifter to the middle and upper rings, skipping the granny.
    Hmm, interesting. So I shouldn't have it in 2x mode? I was told before that it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I can't find the threads, but the 2X mode is for 2X cranks, not 3X with 2 rings and a bash guard. The pull is different between chainrings 1 & 2 than 2 & 3, so the 2X locks it in 2&3 mode. A 3X only shifter will do 2X, but as I understand it, you have to be in gear 2 for the cable setting/adjustment and use 2 & 3, and then have the derailleur limit screws to prevent going to the 1st chainring on the shifter, the cable will slacken, but it will work. Here is how Shimano has it in their Deore XT M780 shifter instructions, they have you move the lever to gear 2, then change the mode to 2X: "File name was SI-5MZOA on Shimano techdocs"

Operate lever A once to set it to the middle position. Switch the
    mode converter to the 2x (double mode) position.
    Note:
    The mode converter cannot be switched while the lever is at the
    lowest position. Be sure to operate lever (A) one or more times
    before switching. Do not turn the mode converter by force, otherwise
    it may break.

I hope this helped!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can't find the threads, but the 2X mode is for 2X cranks, not 3X with 2 rings and a bash guard. The pull is different between chainrings 1 & 2 than 2 & 3, so the 2X locks it in 2&3 mode. A 3X only shifter will do 2X, but as I understand it, you have to be in gear 2 for the cable setting/adjustment and use 2 & 3, and then have the derailleur limit screws to prevent going to the 1st chainring on the shifter, the cable will slacken, but it will work. Here is how Shimano has it in their Deore XT M780 shifter instructions, they have you move the lever to gear 2, then change the mode to 2X: "File name was SI-5MZOA on Shimano techdocs"

Operate lever A once to set it to the middle position. Switch the
    mode converter to the 2x (double mode) position.
    Note:
    The mode converter cannot be switched while the lever is at the
    lowest position. Be sure to operate lever (A) one or more times
    before switching. Do not turn the mode converter by force, otherwise
    it may break.

I hope this helped!
    Wow. I've never heard of any of this and never even thought of it... Right now I have it in 2X mode and it shifts from granny to middle while also shifting from 1-2 on the shifter pod. Everything seems to work fine. Maybe I'll fiddle around with it and try the second position and see if anything changes.

Do you know if the cable is pulled more or less when in 2x mode?
    Where can I find these shimano techdocs?

mtbr member
    The site is techdocs.shimano.com. Once there under mountain bike select the product you have, Deore XT, SLX, ... Then scroll through the products and find the shifters. The full link has a session in it so I don't think it will work to post it.

I'd be interested in what you find out.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The site is techdocs.shimano.com. Once there under mountain bike select the product you have, Deore XT, SLX, ... Then scroll through the products and find the shifters. The full link has a session in it so I don't think it will work to post it.

I'd be interested in what you find out.

Thanks,
    Thanks

I found the article but it doesn't really mention anything about cable pull amounts between 2x and 3x. I looked over my setup and found out that the shifter pod is in the "2" and "3" positions when shifting from granny to next ring (The shifter pod is in 2x mode). Just so you know, I'm running a granny, middle ring, and bash.

mtbr member
    Your are right, I found the pull information in the long thread at the top of the forum I believe, the Dynasys compatibility. Either way, glad its working for you. BTW, do you have a 3x or 2x specific derailleur?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Your are right, I found the pull information in the long thread at the top of the forum I believe, the Dynasys compatibility. Either way, glad its working for you. BTW, do you have a 3x or 2x specific derailleur?
    It is a sram xx 2x derailleur. I actually just ordered a shimano xt 781 3x derailleur because I'm having some issues with the derailleur rubbing up against the bash when I shift to the larger ring. If your interested, and want to know more about the problem, here is the thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-componen...p9-834962.html

mtbr member
    Ah, I wonder when you put the 781 if you'll need to use the 3X mode?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ah, I wonder when you put the 781 if you'll need to use the 3X mode?
    I'm not sure yet. I'll try it both ways and let you know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi,

I got the new XT derailleur and ended up switching the shifter to 3x mode. When going from 1 to 2 the shifter pod seemed to pull more cable, which was what I needed for the new derailleur. Everything works good now!

Members who have read this thread: 0