> 1/8" chain stretch - time to replace the chain rings?- Mtbr.com
    Ski during the off-season

> 1/8" chain stretch - time to replace the chain rings?

I measured my chain to see how its doing, and it has streched just over 1/8" of an inch. Based on what I have read, I need to replace the chain & cassette, maybe even the chainrings.

I had purchased the bike used 7-8 mos (its around 4 years old)--I got a good deal on it and figured I would replace/upgrade some parts when they wore out. When I first got the bike, I had the LBS look at it, and was told that I would need to replace the cassette & chain sometime, depending on how much I rode it. The question now is, will I need to replace the chain rings, too? I was planning to switch over to a 9-spd drive train when I replaced the chain & cassette. I figured I would replace the chain rings at some point too, since I have read that running 8-spd chainrings will lead to pre-mature wearing of the 9-spd. Although, I was hoping to delay purchasing the chain rings for another month or two.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

No need unless visably worn

8spd rings work fine with 9spd drivetrains...if they didnt Shimano would include them with the 9spd upgrade kit but the dont 'cause its not necessary. I've been running 8spd rings on a 9spd drivetrain for 3.5 yrs with no issues.

Also chainrings generally last much longer than cassettes due to the load being stretched over many more teeth. I usually go through 2 chains before changing cassettes and 3-4 chains before I need to change my chainrings. I've got 1 set that has over 11,000 miles on 'em.

Bodhisattva

Time to replace the chain

AT 1/8" chain stretch you should replace the chain. I'd do that first and then see if you have any problem with your chain rings or cassette.
    It's a good idea to measure that chain regularly & replace it when stretched to 1/8.
    A $20 chain is cheaper than a set of rings or cassette.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by journey
    I measured my chain to see how its doing, and it has streched just over 1/8" of an inch. Based on what I have read, I need to replace the chain & cassette, maybe even the chainrings.

I had purchased the bike used 7-8 mos (its around 4 years old)--I got a good deal on it and figured I would replace/upgrade some parts when they wore out. When I first got the bike, I had the LBS look at it, and was told that I would need to replace the cassette & chain sometime, depending on how much I rode it. The question now is, will I need to replace the chain rings, too? I was planning to switch over to a 9-spd drive train when I replaced the chain & cassette. I figured I would replace the chain rings at some point too, since I have read that running 8-spd chainrings will lead to pre-mature wearing of the 9-spd. Although, I was hoping to delay purchasing the chain rings for another month or two.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    I'd replace them all, even if you are able to get away with replacing just the chain and the cassette. If the middle ring is still useable but worn, it will contribute to wearing the chain prematurely.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member

Any Chainsuck???

If you ride in mud and don't experience CS, take some more time with your chain rings.
    I've upgraded 8->9 XT full drivetrain at the same time and feel like I have a new bike now.
    howevever, I learned from others that 8sp chainrings works fine with 9sp chain as actually the inner chain dimensions only slightly changed between 8 to 9 speed. The only disadvatage you may feel if running 9speed on your chain rings is less than optimal shifting.
    Chainsuck is a much bigger issue though, especially in mud.

Members who have read this thread: 0