Your favorite hardtail Mountaincross/slalom frames- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Your favorite hardtail Mountaincross/slalom frames

My son is going back to a hardtail, he's a bmxer and thought he could have a full suspension for both mtn cross and downhills where you need to pedal, but he is willing to give up the downhill cushion to get a little more performance out of the mountaincross. Thoughts? Had any luck with the Avent jibster? Azonic? Yeti?

V10 Freerider
    Soul Cycles Loki
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    Chris Powell's P.3

mtbr member
    identiti Dr. Jekyll, just picked one up to replace my current frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Best MTX hardtail for a BMXer

Check out the new Staats MTX aluminum frame that is about to be released to the public. If your son raced bmx he will know Staats has been building the best bmx race frames for about 6-8 years now. My son has a bmx background and has been riding the prototypes for about 7-8 months in DS, MTX and at skateparks. He has won both MTX and skatepark events on the same bike with just a change of tires. They are light, strong, quick steering and very fast frames. Your son will love it...... have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Best MTX hardtail for a BMXer

Check out the new Staats MTX aluminum frame that is about to be released to the public. If your son raced bmx he will know Staats has been building the best bmx race frames for about 6-8 years now. My son has a bmx background and has been riding the prototypes for about 7-8 months in DS, MTX and at skateparks. He has won both MTX and skatepark events on the same bike with just a change of tires. They are light, strong, quick steering and very fast frames. Your son will love it...... have fun.

I forgot to say my son has also raced the bike in full MTX form in a number of BMX crusier races with very good results.

mtbr member
    Actually now that I have read the post carefully, I would recommend a full suspension MTX bike. They are fine on any course.

a'buh?
    what frame does he have now? A bike like a cannondale prophet mx could handle pedally dh and any mx course out there. But if he wants a hardtail mx frame, get a cheap, fairly light hardtail (like an STP) because I'm guessing he's gonna jump on it also. It doesn't make a lot of sense to dump a huge amount of money on a boutique mx frame that he's just gonna trash dirt jumping and park riding
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member
    Don't expect to do much DH riding on a MTX hardtail. Sounds like the kid could use two bikes eventually.

banned
    I raced BMX for 7 years so I got a bit of a background... NBL Nationals for a few years.

I have a P.1 Cro-Mo at the moment and I ride it all but I excel on the MTX. If he has to narrow down to one bike but is still somewhat serious in DH, get something like the Prophet MX or get 2 bikes. His current one and something like a P.1 or P.2...

Pro Crastinator
    i have 12 years of BMX racing backround and am a dirt jump junkee, there are plenty of bikes that fit the bill, but for a complete bike on a budget, the Giant STP is my choice....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Don't expect to do much DH riding on a MTX hardtail. Sounds like the kid could use two bikes eventually.
    there are plenty of mtx hardtails capable of DH riding

banned
    I agree. If you can, STP Zero is the top choice. Comes stock with a Pike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toyota kawasaki
    there are plenty of mtx hardtails capable of DH riding
    Capable? maybe. But a Race setup on a HT is not going to be at all preferable or viable for REAL downhill riding. I could get down the hill on a Walmart special, but I'm not interested.
    If you must have a MTX HT race bike that will be capable of DH. Then I have to suggest something like an STP, P.3 or whatever (there are lots) with a Marz Z1 or RS Pike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi again,
    Thanks for the responses. He does have a downhill bike, a Turner DHR, he bought a Turner Rail hoping he could ride it for Mountaincross and those downhill courses where you don't need all the travel of a DHR(Sea Otter, Firestone Walker). So he has a bike for the real rough stuff, he would just rather ride a hardtail for mtn cross and can't afford 3 bikes so he will have to ride the hardtail on a few downhill runs. Keep the ideas coming, he is kind of angling toward the Avent, Azonic, or Planet x, thoughts???

Members who have read this thread: 0