Young, Ignorant & In Need Of Answers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Young, Ignorant & In Need Of Answers

Hey my name is Kate, i'm 18 and obviously female.

I'm kind of looking for help and advice on getting into riding. I love riding so much but I don't have any mates into it so its actually kind of hard to learn more about bikes and riding.

I recently bought the NS Clash 3 (NS Bikes Clash 3 Bike 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles)

Sooo Ive signed up here to get some answers - I am sorry for sounding like a complete newbie but any information would be so appreciated.

Ok so getting started, as I said - I have the Clash and really want to specifically get into Downhill Riding. I have a few downhill tracks near me but my problem is the bike obviously isn't all that suitable for muddy, hilly country side riding so actually getting to the tracks is slow and exhausting! How do downhill riders combat this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Are you asking how people get to the trails?? Driving? Sounds like you need to find some locals to show you around and how they do it. I couldn't answer specifically since I'm not in your situation. But a good place to start is a local bike shop.

If you are asking how people handle being under biked on DH trails, that's an entirely different answer.

May The Force Be With You
    Only way to learn is to get out there and ride! Dont know where you live but Research ski resorts and other locations that offer riding clinics. Ask you local bike shop as well. As far as looking at getting an actual DH bike, as a beginner you do not need a brand new $4kbike. . a used 2006-2010 for under $2k will do just fine and parts can always be upgraded

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

May The Force Be With You
    As far as getting to the trails, many many years ago with the dawn of down hill riders would hike their bikes up access roads sometimes taking hours just for the thrill of a 20min Downhill run... Or find yourself a "boyfriend" to drive you to the trails

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Glad to Be Alive
    that bike isn't that good for riding dh....head angle looks a little steep and hardtails are rough through bumps....can be done but it is harsh
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

@njcshreds
    Depends what you mean by 'downhill' riding. For most lift assisted bike park downhill riding, you'll want to ride a full suspension. I say most, because there is one mountain near me that has lift assisted downhill, but it's really geared towards families and I can ride it with my trail bike.

For cross country trails that have fun downhill sections, you just need to ride more. The more you ride the more your stamina will increase and then the rides to the trailhead and up the climbs will get easier.

You can find plenty of riding groups through this site, Facebook and Meetup.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)