Are you running a Ti spring? Which one?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Ti spring?

Capricious youth...

Are you running a Ti spring? Which one?

I ran an old Progressive 325# spring on my 7point... but I'm considering throwing a new Ti spring on whatever bike I will have for 2009.

What's your experiences with different companies' Ti springs?
    Meh.

GAME ON!
    i ran a progressive on my mkiii. it was the wrong spring rate for me, but i liked where it was going.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

EastBaySteez
    Progressive 250# on my 7point/ 6point to be.

Dont plan on changing it.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

biking is fun
    RCS - best fit and good quality, no problems there, well unless you run a vivid rear

Obtanium - made to fit every shock but to me thats a negative. unless your using a vivid you have to use spacers, also the same coil will fit 2.5 - 3.0 sizes. 3.0 takes another spacer though. so the only way it would be the perfect fit is if you had a 2.75 stroke vivid.

progressive - light, simple, but i don't think they make them anymore. i run a 425 on my intense SS which is awesome cause not many companies make shocks in increments of 25#

Diverse - newer company but cheapest. worth checking out.

Manitou and marzocchi - good quality as well. hard to find but they are out there.

i currently run a progressive and a RCS. in my experience a titanium coil is a titanium coil. progressive and rcs seem to be lighter when i have weighed mine though. I have ridden all but the marzocchi and obtanium.

Bottlerockin'
    Running 450# Progressive Ti spring on my DHX. Loving it compared to my well oversprung (600#) steel one I had before.

Perpetual Hack
    RCS 450lb on my CCDB.

I am thinking about trying a 400lb Diverse for the Spring season.

I am just about to lose my Clyde status. My I'm right at 200 and my 450 is now run with 0 preload - just enough to stop rattle, so I will need to drop to a lighter rate.

michael

Glad to Be Alive
    RCS 500 on DHX5.0

no problems
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    RCS 450 with a CCDB on an Intense SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have been eyeing the nuke proof ti spring for a little while. I haven't read too many reviews but sicklines.com did a short review on it here.
    http://www.sicklines.com/2008/12/20/...ing/#more-3120
    About the same price as the obtanium.
    I might just stick with an obtanium though as I know for a fact that they work well with a vivid.
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

Calm Like a Bomb
    rcs gets my vote...excellent quality and performance and they are among the lightest ti springs i have come across...especially in the higher rates
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Marzocchi for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Nuke proof 500x3.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    the best, optainium.
    Last edited by 8664; 03-20-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nukeproof

GAME ON!
    i got my spring on ebay for cheap because i can't justify spending $200 on a spring for a $100 shock
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevě
    Nuke proof 500x3.0
    what's the free length of that??
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

Capricious youth...
    Hmmm... I've always liked the fit and look of the RCS. I'll probably go with that, even though I had fantastic luck with my Progressive spring.
    Meh.

dhd
    Ride Junkie
    Aug 2004
    Got a Diverse Ti spring. Very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Diverse Vivid Ti spring.

toby

t66
    mtbr member
    RCS on my Avy

mtbr member
    475 lb Obtainium for my DHX. Excellent fit and function.

Knolly Ti Spring.JPG

RIDE DIRT
    I have a quick question: I bought my bike used [Intense M1] and the shock spring says 450 x 2.80. I weigh about 160 is that too stiff of a spring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Pinkbike called... They want their question back.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints
    475 lb Obtainium for my DHX. Excellent fit and function.

Knolly Ti Spring.JPG
    Any more pictures of the Knolly?

And Obtainium makes springs in 25# increments?
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i have a 350 lb manitou on my vanilla r

very satisfied

ROBOTIC RESERVE
    Question, Can you run a 3in spring on a 2.75in DHX? I should be able to run a lower spring rate with a longer spring?
    Captain's Rides
    2008 Turner 5.Spot Raw - Pushed RP23 / Pike 454 U-Turn
    2008 Turner Highline GDO - CCDB / Fox 40

Calm Like a Bomb
    u can run a 3" spring on a 2.75" shock...u just need to make sure the spring length will fit
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member

Another Pic of the Knolly

Yes... Obtainium offers Ti springs in 25 lb increments. 500 lbs. is heavy for me. 450 was OK but I needed extra preload to adjust the sag resulting in a beginning stroke that was a little harsh I thought. 475 is perfect for me.

http://www.obtainiumperformanceprodu...ucts.htm#step4

Knolly.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Snakebite
    Question, Can you run a 3in spring on a 2.75in DHX? I should be able to run a lower spring rate with a longer spring?
    If the spring is not too long,yes you would be able use it but you will still need to run a spring with the correct rate.Using a spring with a lighter rate but having more preload will only effect how much load is on the spring when the shock is at its max length.It will not act as a heavier rate spring.The proper way to do it is to use a spring with a rate to give desired sag(with no more than 1/4"of preload).

Pain Incorporated
    I'm rocking an Obtainium spring. I'll have a ton of more information and photos up on my website in the next week or so.... but for now here's a quick low-quality tease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer
    If the spring is not too long,yes you would be able use it but you will still need to run a spring with the correct rate.Using a spring with a lighter rate but having more preload will only effect how much load is on the spring when the shock is at its max length.It will not act as a heavier rate spring.The proper way to do it is to use a spring with a rate to give desired sag(with no more than 1/4"of preload).
    G'day DHracer, i have some questions about your quote. Firstly i dont understand how using preload doesnt change the rate of the spring? I understand unsprung it is what it is but figure putting pressure (preload) on it, it will change its working spring rate. If it takes 500lb to press a spring 1" and 1000lb to press it 2" and so on. Then i pessed the spring in 5mm using preload the actual spring would be working at about 100lb right? So from this point if i pressed it 1" wouldnt the spring working at abot 600lb? (lets not forget the the spring is preloaded 5mm = 100lb of spring pressure, then another 1", a total of 30mm stroke). Wouldn't the spring be working like a 600lb spring?
    Hope that makes sense, if im wrong please explain cause i cant get my sh!t around it?
    CHUNKY

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUNKY NUGGET
    G'day DHracer, i have some questions about your quote. Firstly i dont understand how using preload doesnt change the rate of the spring? I understand unsprung it is what it is but figure putting pressure (preload) on it, it will change its working spring rate. If it takes 500lb to press a spring 1" and 1000lb to press it 2" and so on. Then i pessed the spring in 5mm using preload the actual spring would be working at about 100lb right? So from this point if i pressed it 1" wouldnt the spring working at abot 600lb? (lets not forget the the spring is preloaded 5mm = 100lb of spring pressure, then another 1", a total of 30mm stroke). Wouldn't the spring be working like a 600lb spring?
    Hope that makes sense, if im wrong please explain cause i cant get my sh!t around it?
    CHUNKY
    Say your spring needs 1000lb to compress it fully. Preloading it 0mm or 10mm won't change the fact that it needs 1000lb to fully compress it. Sure preloading it will make it sit higher in the travel initially but it still takes 1000lb to compress the spring fully.

Bottlerockin'
    Is there a large difference in weight between these companies for the same size spring?

...just curious really.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    CHUNKY
    So a spring has a rate of 500lb per inch.Regardless of how much load is on the spring it will only take 500lbs of force to compress it another inch.So a spring is a three inch stroke,(most springs will have more travel than that to allow for preload,(.Fox labeling there springs 3.25 for use on a 3"stroke shock)it will take 500lbs to compress it one inch another 500lbs to compress it another inch so now it is compressed two inches and has 1000lbs of load or force on the spring.Say you want to use a lighter rate than what you really need and just want too preload it more,yes it will sit higher in the travel but will still be too soft or light of rate.You would notice that it will most likely blow thru the travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    MTB biker! Yeh thats obvious man! Ive been told that springs arent calculated like that though. A 500 x 2.5 spring takes 500lb to compress it 1" or 25mm so to press it 30mm (25mm compression and 5mm preload, as in my example) will equal a larger lb per inch! Right? Lets say 600lb give or take.
    Ti springs and long springs dont always get compressed all the way to binding so its pointless using the full compression example.
    Last edited by CHUNKY NUGGET; 12-25-2008 at 08:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    So a spring has a rate of 500lb per inch.Regardless of how much load is on the spring it will only take 500lbs of force to compress it another inch.So a spring is a three inch stroke,(most springs will have more travel than that to allow for preload,(.Fox labeling there springs 3.25 for use on a 3"stroke shock)it will take 500lbs to compress it one inch another 500lbs to compress it another inch so now it is compressed two inches and has 1000lbs of load or force on the spring.Say you want to use a lighter rate than what you really need and just want too preload it more,yes it will sit higher in the travel but will still be too soft or light of rate.You would notice that it will most likely blow thru the travel.
    OK i agree and 500lb x 2.5 (or what ever stroke) takes 500lb of pressure to move 1" or 25mm and 1000lb to move 2" or 50mm and even 1500lb to move 3" 75mm. Agreed!
    Now to move it 55mm it should take about 1100lb then! Correct?
    Preload is what it says, "preload" meaning the spring is all ready loaded with pressure.
    In my example of 5mm it equals 100lb already on the spring, so to press it a inch from the preloaded point will not have the the pressure of 500lb, it would have to be more, more like 600lb.
    I hope you guys are following me on this but i will draw up a graph if needed. Ive been told im wrong but fully believe im right! I need to understand how im wrong to come to terms with it.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a ti 350x2.75 or 3.0 they wanna sell?

Anyone have a ti 400 or 450 or 500x2.75 or 3.0 they wanna sell?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Anyone have a ti 350x2.75 or 3.0 they wanna sell?

Anyone have a ti 400 or 450 or 500x2.75 or 3.0 they wanna sell?
    I have one on ebay as we speak! A 450x2.75 RCS Ti in near new condition

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    MTB biker! Yeh thats obvious man! Ive been told that springs arent calculated like that though. A 500 x 2.5 spring takes 500lb to compress it 1" or 25mm so to press it 30mm (25mm compression and 5mm preload, as in my example) will equal a larger lb per inch! Right? Lets say 600lb give or take.
    Ti springs and long springs dont always get compressed all the way to binding so its pointless using the full compression example.
    Chunky if a spring is rated at 500lb per inch regardless of how much load is on the spring it will only take 500lbs more to move it another inch,as long as there is enough travel remianing.So lets work on this from a fully compressed spring.500lb rate 3"stroke and we won't worry about how much travel is aloud for preload.The spring has 1500lbs of load on it and it is compressd solid.Remove 500lbs it has extended 1",remove another 500lbs and it has extended another 1",remove another 500lbs and now the spring is fully extended.You are correct with your math that a 500lb rate sping with 30mm of compression would have 600lbs of load on it but it will still only take 500lbs more force to compress it another inch or 25.4mm.Hope this helps,you may want to also check out some of the spring calculators out there.They will add more parameters to the equations such as the change of leverage.In the end the more read about it the better you will be in the long run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Chunky if a spring is rated at 500lb per inch regardless of how much load is on the spring it will only take 500lbs more to move it another inch,as long as there is enough travel remianing.So lets work on this from a fully compressed spring.500lb rate 3"stroke and we won't worry about how much travel is aloud for preload.The spring has 1500lbs of load on it and it is compressd solid.Remove 500lbs it has extended 1",remove another 500lbs and it has extended another 1",remove another 500lbs and now the spring is fully extended.You are correct with your math that a 500lb rate sping with 30mm of compression would have 600lbs of load on it but it will still only take 500lbs more force to compress it another inch or 25.4mm.Hope this helps,you may want to also check out some of the spring calculators out there.They will add more parameters to the equations such as the change of leverage.In the end the more read about it the better you will be in the long run.
    Ok we are getting somewhere here i think we both get each other? Your example of starting with 1500lb for a fully compressed 3" spring is right but if that spring had a preload of 5mm 100lb on it, it would actually be compressed at 1600lb, give or take. I understand that it takes 500lb "more" to press it one inch. And yeh i imagine the longer the stroke that other parameters will come into it.
    What i can say is if i wind my preload in alot i will find it harder to compress the suspension, and if i have no preload it will compress easier?
    Although the spring is always a 500lb spring i think it will be working like a 600lb spring with say 5mm preload. Im not saying however that it will double like a 600lb moving 2" and = 1200lb. Im just saying it will add 100lb to the stroke and the only bit that doubles will be the springs actual spring rate.
    What ya reckon bout that?
    I will have to check the spring calculator thingy, where can i find that? I like understanding stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok we are getting somewhere here i think we both get each other? Your example of starting with 1500lb for a fully compressed 3" spring is right but if that spring had a preload of 5mm 100lb on it, it would actually be compressed at 1600lb, give or take. I understand that it takes 500lb "more" to press it one inch. And yeh i imagine the longer the stroke that other parameters will come into it.
    What i can say is if i wind my preload in alot i will find it harder to compress the suspension, and if i have no preload it will compress easier?
    Although the spring is always a 500lb spring i think it will be working like a 600lb spring with say 5mm preload. Im not saying however that it will double like a 600lb moving 2" and = 1200lb. Im just saying it will add 100lb to the stroke and the only bit that doubles will be the springs actual spring rate.
    What ya reckon bout that?
    I will have to check the spring calculator thingy, where can i find that? I like understanding stuff
    Another thing to consider is every mm. of preload is loss travel of the spring.Spring claculators,check out www.tftuned.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    my optainium 3"x450 is 329gr my fox 3"x450 steel is 629gr save=300gr!!
    Last edited by 8664; 03-20-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Another thing to consider is every mm. of preload is loss travel of the spring.Spring claculators,check out www.tftuned.com
    Arh what what! Whats that mean loss of travel of the spring? The spring always travels the same distance unless is binds. Im confused again

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I got this from TFtuned, to me it reads preload changes the acting spring weight?
    TFtuned say; On rear shocks, the spring preload collar is infinitely adjustable (with a little help from some pipegrips!) so in theory you could get the ending rate you want. The only problem here is the limited space for the spring. As you screw the preload collar down to compress the spring, the gaps between the coils become smaller. These gaps must add up in total to a value higher than that of the shock stroke. Ideally they should be 10% greater otherwise premature failure of the spring will occur. This is why all coil-over shocks have a maximum amount of allowable preload. This amount is usually between 2-8 turns and is counted from the moment the spring collar contacts the spring and begins to compress it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just wondering about how close the coils are wound together differs. Is it based on spring rate or just how the company does it? I like the look of optainium because the look wound looser.
    2008 DHR
    2007 STP

Pain Incorporated
    Just a follow up to my post above, my article on Obtainium springs is now up...

https://painincorporated.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79btainium-performance-springs-review&catid=36roduct-reviews&Itemid=55

Hopefully that helped a bit...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    They seem awesome! Bloody pricey though!

spinner
    Very in depth and informative review hardcore11. If I didn't already own an Obtanium , I'd certainly want one after reading that.

Like 8664 above , I also dropped 300g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore11
    Just a follow up to my post above, my article on Obtainium springs is now up...

https://painincorporated.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79btainium-performance-springs-review&catid=36roduct-reviews&Itemid=55

Hopefully that helped a bit...

Great review!!!!
    And this one didn't feel so bias as you read along. I am now finally happy with my purchase. I had a hard time getting my head around the money I spent for a spring when I could of upgraded something else to the bike!

Bikes Rule
    I priced out the cost of an Obtainium spring for my DHX on my Highline. Stock spring is 500 # x 2.8". The cost is $333 delivered to my door with shipping and spacers..

Anyone know the weight savings on that? Looks like another DHX swap netted 300g. I am debating if I actually need to get it at that price. The bike is 100% dialed in and a new spring is about all I want to upgrade. But the price is very high..

Pain Incorporated
    Thanks guys! I always enjoy hearing feedback...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    optainium, best fitting spring system!!!
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    hey guys im running a 450# rockshox spring on a 2.75 stroke vivid and i find a bit too soft
    does the obtainium pring feel harder or softer than the original rockshox spring at the same #? im planning to buy one soon when i have the $$ for it

thx

maker of trail
    OK i agree and 500lb x 2.5 (or what ever stroke) takes 500lb of pressure to move 1" or 25mm and 1000lb to move 2" or 50mm and even 1500lb to move 3" 75mm. Agreed!
    Now to move it 55mm it should take about 1100lb then! Correct?
    Preload is what it says, "preload" meaning the spring is all ready loaded with pressure.
    In my example of 5mm it equals 100lb already on the spring, so to press it a inch from the preloaded point will not have the the pressure of 500lb, it would have to be more, more like 600lb.
    I hope you guys are following me on this but i will draw up a graph if needed. Ive been told im wrong but fully believe im right! I need to understand how im wrong to come to terms with it.
    The best way to put what you are saying, is to call preload an "offset", ie you have 100lb pre load means at 1" suspension travel you have 500lb + 100lb, compress it another inch, you have 500lbX2" + 100lb, ie 1100lb, not the 1200lb you would have with a 600lb/in spring...

This is why a lighter spring with pre load would still blow through travel quicker then a correct weight spring, all you can really gain with pre load, is figuring out the correct spring, ie if you need 100lb pre load on your 500lb spring to get the right sag, you can work out your correct spring rate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i ride a 450 optainium spring and have the same sag like my old fox 450 steel spring!! but the ti spring feels softer more "aktive"!
    ride.

Pain Incorporated
    Quote Originally Posted by AzN_devil
    hey guys im running a 450# rockshox spring on a 2.75 stroke vivid and i find a bit too soft
    does the obtainium pring feel harder or softer than the original rockshox spring at the same #? im planning to buy one soon when i have the $$ for it

thx

The spring rate does not change running a titanium coil spring. The only difference is the spring rate claimed on an Obtainium spring is exactly that, not 5% in either direction of what is claimed on the spring like most steel springs. If a 450 is feeling too soft for you, then chances are you need a stiffer spring rate. I would suggest experimenting with steel springs until you have found the correct spring rate, then buy a Ti coil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

thx
    It doesnt matter what its made of, if it takes 450lb to press it 1" it takes 450lb to press it 1", be it feathers, gold or play doh it makes no difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    well im asking because i dont know if the 450# spring from rockshox is actually 450#
    i tried a fox dhx 5.0 with a 450# rcs ti spring and there was more sag even with the preload collar at 8 turns

[email protected]: i wish i can try a steel spring at my correct weight...but the hong kong rockshox dealer doesnt stock anything springs over 450# and aint planning to get one just for me...im considered as "heavy" @ 160lbs with gear
    everyones a fan of fox dhx 5.0 here...

Calm Like a Bomb
    well im asking because i dont know if the 450# spring from rockshox is actually 450#
    i tried a fox dhx 5.0 with a 450# rcs ti spring and there was more sag even with the preload collar at 8 turns

[email protected]: i wish i can try a steel spring at my correct weight...but the hong kong rockshox dealer doesnt stock anything springs over 450# and aint planning to get one just for me...im considered as "heavy" @ 160lbs with gear
    everyones a fan of fox dhx 5.0 here...
    that's far too much preload on the dhx...u would need a higher rate spring in that case
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Sorry to bump an old thread. But are there any online dealers for RCS Ti springs? I want to get one for my Judge.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettj45
    Sorry to bump an old thread. But are there any online dealers for RCS Ti springs? I want to get one for my Judge.
    here's one

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail...000-1107370103
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks.

Perpetual Hack

Some info on Diverse Springs

Upon investigation, they don' look all that bad.
    I sent in a series of questions, and here are the replies I received.
    I may try one as I'm dropping from a 450 to a 400 lb Ti due to my fat ass trying to loose it's Clyde status.

Hi Michael,
    Wow, we have not had questions this technical come form any customers except
    from OEM and dealers.

Have a few questions for you...

1. What Ti alloy to you use:
    Ti - 4.5Fe-6.8Mo-1.5Al LCB,
    Ti - 6Al-4V,
    Ti - 3Al-8V-6Cr-4Mo-4Zr Beta C etc
    Domestic(US) or imported?

A- The Ti material is "LCB" from USA

2. Do you cycle test each spring - and if so how many cycles?

A- We cycle test to failure random springs in every batch of springs producted. Obvioully we dont cycle failure each spring but we do set the spring by cycling them about 50 cycles, but I am not 100% sure. If you need an exact number let me know and I will ask the engineer.

3. What is the tolerance of the spring-rate - ie 400 x 2.5 Ī 2%

A- Our tolerance is 2% as is most of our competition, but we test all our springs and they all fall within 1%.

4. How are the springs finished - Acid and Clear / Powder etc

A- Peened and clear for for the utmost longevity / cycle life.

5. My shock is a 2.5" stroke. What preload can be run before binding
    using a 2.5" stroke spring? - ( Trying to decide if I should go for 2.75")

A- We dont recommend going in more then 4 turns (4 mm)on your preload due to perfomance loss. Max is 7mm for worst case as some springs have different wire and coil spacing changing the coil bind stroke slightly.

6 Do you ship to Canada? If so how much to Postal Code N4G-5N2? (400lb x 2.5" or 2.75")

A- Yes, we ship worldwide. If you order over
    on our website, www.dsp-racing.com shipping is $8.99 US. If you order by phone using a Visa/Mastercard shipping is $18.40 USD.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Fadi
    Tech/Sales
    Diverse Suspension Products
    www.dsp-racing.com
    Phone: (661) 618-2644

Hope this helps. I'm thinking of picking 0ne up.
    Oh and they do have two sizes. 36.3 mm for CCDB etc and 38.1mm for Vivid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    A seller told me that I can use a progressive ti 350 x 2,25" on my 2,5" shox: right or wrong?
    What about progressive quality?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    wrong, the spring stroke has to be longer than the shock. Unless progressive under spec theres by .25" you'll end up bottoming the spring before you reach full travel.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by pierreb
    A seller told me that I can use a progressive ti 350 x 2,25" on my 2,5" shox: right or wrong?
    What about progressive quality?
    I picked up a progressive 250lb Ti Coil awhile ago.

I can use it with 2.75" stroke shocks as well. (and know this for a fact, I use it on 2.5 and 2.75 stroke shocks and switch them up all the time)

Progressive runs more space in between their coils than newer Ti springs.

Or at least I can
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    another question. i hear rumors that (spring rates being true) a ti spring may not equate to the same rate as steel in real world performance due to the properties of the alloys used. ei: if ya need a 400 lb steel spring, ya may need a 350 in ti. maybe its the other way around - i forget. any truth to this?

thanx as im lookin to change rates on my dhxc anyway and im thinkin ti. seems ill need a 400 lb spring cuz my 350 is too soft and the fox reccomended 450 too firm. rider weight is 165 w/o 10 lbs of gear on a '06 dhr if that helps. kinda wanna get this in place before i send it off to push.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    another question. i hear rumors that (spring rates being true) a ti spring may not equate to the same rate as steel in real world performance due to the properties of the alloys used. ei: if ya need a 400 lb steel spring, ya may need a 350 in ti. maybe its the other way around - i forget. any truth to this?
    I don't think... 400lbs/inch is 400lbs/inch.

Maybe, the only difference is the precision of the spring rate (for example, a 400lbs could be between 375 and 425...)

mtbr member
    I had PUSH test my RCS 450 and it was a 460. Not too bad.

old broken downhiller
    I just got a Diverse 550X2.75 for $199.00. Got it directly off of their website.

Fit on my DHX was perfect.

13 oz. vs. the 1 lb. 71/2 oz. Roco spring it replaced.

I don't have a lot of time on it but it seems to perform as it should...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

thanx as im lookin to change rates on my dhxc anyway and im thinkin ti. seems ill need a 400 lb spring cuz my 350 is too soft and the fox reccomended 450 too firm. rider weight is 165 w/o 10 lbs of gear on a '06 dhr if that helps. kinda wanna get this in place before i send it off to push.
    The springs do have a different feel too them due to the material and the springs design.Most common quotes are,it feels softer,it feels more plush,it is more active.But regardless of material rate is rate,now there may be some slight variations due to the method used to test the rate.No coiled compression springs rate is linear,they all have some change in rate through out the total travel.But I would concour that a 400lb rate would most likley be your best choice,weather it's steel or Ti.Due to the DHR's progressive linkage(provides less leverage against the spring as you get deeper into the travel)you could probablly get away with a 375lb rate for reel rough or steep courses.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike
    I just got a Diverse 550X2.75 for $199.00. Got it directly off of their website.

Fit on my DHX was perfect.

13 oz. vs. the 1 lb. 71/2 oz. Roco spring it replaced.

I don't have a lot of time on it but it seems to perform as it should...
    what is the free length??
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    nuke proof and rcs are made by the same company,obtainium is good for vivid would not recomend it for anything else(rub issues)...diverse would be my choice,precise fit-light weight and cheap.
    ouin! pas pire.

Members who have read this thread: 1