Yeti AS-X: Fox DHX-C vs. Marz ROCO- Mtbr.com

Poll: Which new shock for a Yeti AS-X?

Stray Bullet

Yeti AS-X: Fox DHX-C vs. Marz ROCO

Okay I've had it with my 5th Element and the constant interference in enjoying "plushness" by the platform dampening in the shock. I really want to replace it.

My riding style is more FR/DH no big hucks or drops. Terrain is SoCal, little rocks, loose sand stone, no mud, will hit Mammoth a couple times in the summer. I really like railing berms, fast flowing single track, and keeping the rubber on the ground (for the most part). My typical shuttle run does have several miles of non-technical/fire road seated climbing. Basically I want something plush that is an improvement over the 5th Element. Up front is a 66RC2X.

My two choices are:

Fox DHX Coil $370 shipped from Go-Ride
    Pluses:
    Proven performer
    ProPedal can be dialed way out
    Bottoming resistance (AS-X kinda needs it)
    PUSH-able

Minuses:
    Has ProPedal
    Not user serviceable

Marzocchi ROCO $325 (no spring) shipped from Go-Ride
    Pluses:
    No platform and hopefully plus
    Its Marz and I really like their products
    Moto-X shim type stack that can be modded
    PUSH will working with them in the future, could be a while
    Easy to set-up
    Cheaper

Minuses:
    No platform at all could make pedaling up a pain
    heavy?
    New and kinda unproven

So you guys vote and I will buy whatever wins within a month.

rollin
    i currently have the roco on my v10 and absolutely love it, but for your yeti asx...
    since it's a single pivot and you climb to get to your dh trails, i think you would be better off with the dhx. you'll be able to crank up the propedal for the climb, and turn it down for the descent. i used to own a bullit, originally with the fox float, then got the 5th...it pedalled so much better with the platform, but still descended great.
    as much as i want to say get the roco! i think you'd be better off with the dhx.

Why aren't you riding????
    if you're climbing go with a platform shock. I have the roco on my Dare and it is cats a**, but for a single pivot that gets pedaled it would be bouncy.

Going down is another story

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    I have the roco on my Dare and it is cats a**
    ...huh
    is this a good thing?

mtbr member
    I'd give your 5th Element one more try - - just set it up EXACTLY as Yeti's setup guide tells you to. I followed their directions to the letter and have never noticed any problems with the platform getting in the way of its bottomless feel. I race DH and do a lot of trail riding with it too.

The setup guide is no longer on Yeti's site, but I have the PDF. It was too large to attach here. If you want it, PM me and I could e-mail it.
    Yeti | RST | Hayes | SixSixOne | Royal Racing | Syncros | Twenty6 | Kenda | Bicycle Butler Spokane, WA

Members who have read this thread: 0