Yeti 303 WC Carbon a reality?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Yeti 303 WC Carbon a reality?

Most know that Jared Graves is running a prototype carbon-framed version of the new 303 WC this season but it seems as if he and the team may not be the only riders on them shortly. The video here at vitalmtb shows it and suggests that it will be in production maybe in 2013: Yeti Cycles Prototype 303 World Cup Carbon at the 2012 Sea Otter Classic - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

bike rider
    I thought production in 2013 was assumed.
    Keep the Country country.

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    We're working on it, but there's a lot more testing that needs to be done before we even know whether it will be a production bike. Once that determination is made, we'll work on a schedule.

There are lots of us here working at Yeti who would love to have one, so we're keeping our fingers crossed for it, too!

--John P.
    PIVOT Cycles

Please Email rather than PM: johnp AT pivotcycles DOT com

Instagram: @heyjohnp

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crossing my fingers it makes it to production.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So close to production that Graves practiced with it in south africa........but decided to use the 15 pound aluminum frame instead, in the actually DH race. This worries me as a consumer because every racer complains how boring, flat, and pedally the track is in S.A. So it makes me curious as to what this bike would behave like in steep rocky terrain.

bike rider
    Yeah, that's not a great marketing move (sorry John), to show and practice on a carbon version and then have the racers revert to aluminum for the race. The only thing worse is Evil's move of having the carbon version break at a high profile race. Trek and SC did it right and instilled confidence in their carbon products.
    *I'm purely talking about the marketing aspect of it as Yeti's decision could have been based on who-knows-what and the broken Evil could have been a fluke. Trek and SC showed a carbon frame and their racers proceeded to race and win on it. That's how you sell frames.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    From the Yeti forum:

Here's a quote by John P from the Ridemonkey forum...

"From what I understand, there were some imperfections inside the seattube on that prototype, so he wasn't able to drop the seat as far as he wanted. In the end, he felt like a proper riding position was most important, so he went with the AL frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I hope so...

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    Quote Originally Posted by bkboom123 View Post
    So close to production that Graves practiced with it in south africa........but decided to use the 15 pound aluminum frame instead, in the actually DH race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Yeah, that's not a great marketing move (sorry John), to show and practice on a carbon version and then have the racers revert to aluminum for the race.
    Thanks for the clever insight, guys. As Zenboy99 pointed out, I addressed this in another thread over on RM. Grubby wanted to run a dropper post on that bike in SA, and there was an imperfection in the seat tube that would not allow him to use the dropper. It's a prototype. Sh*t happens.

I'll be sure to consult you guys on all future marketing initiatives.

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

mtbr member
    Hey JP,

I've only got 1 day on my 2012 303WC, but it was a very good day. I'm hoping to get out again this weekend, then get a short review up. So far everything is great. I did order a custom 3" Gravity Dropper (total length 275mm) so I can run a dropper post at a couple of high altitude races that have pedaling sections.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    John P,

Apparently I struck a nerve with my comment, which leads me to believe that there is a bigger issue here (than a dropper post install). Hope you guys get everything sorted with the carbon DH frame though. I really do love your trail bikes, just wasn't the best debut for the DH rig. Apologies for pointing that out.

Jared Graves' Carbon 303 at Cascade Mountain Bike Park in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa - photo by meagerdude - Pinkbike.com

It is a sick looking bike...

mtbr member
    Like all things in the bike world any new bike (or carbon version of an existing bike) is going to require a fair amount of tweaking and refining in order to make it as perfect as possible for the consumer. Pro riders get these "test mules" to try out and give their input on so that the manufacturer can then make any changes needed. I'd say that Yeti is probably playing it safe in not wanting to release a product to the world that might not be 100%. The market for carbon dh bikes is still new but it is a market that will be growing rapidly for the racers out there that have the dollars for it and the average joes like me who want to look like the coolest guy on the mountain.

I'd say to all that want one, be patient. To have a bike company take the time to make a production frame more precise and dialed in is only a good thing. It'll let the consumer have less problems and headaches down the road. Also, don't complain when you see the price tag. You have to assume that since carbon developing and manufacturing costs more and there will be more of a limited production of them that you will be paying a premium. The era of $8,000 dh bikes is upon us.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Int'l Sales - PIVOT
    John P,

Apparently I struck a nerve with my comment, which leads me to believe that there is a bigger issue here (than a dropper post install). Hope you guys get everything sorted with the carbon DH frame though. I really do love your trail bikes, just wasn't the best debut for the DH rig. Apologies for pointing that out.

Jared Graves' Carbon 303 at Cascade Mountain Bike Park in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa - photo by meagerdude - Pinkbike.com

It is a sick looking bike...
    The only thing that usually strikes a nerve with me is wild e-speculation that's written as 'fact'. The "15-pound" frame comment was a little silly, too.

Anyway, I'm still a little surprised that everyone seems so shocked that there was an issue with a prototype. Prototypes, by their very definition, are test mules. We expect things to be wrong with them. If I were a regular consumer, I'd be most worried about a company that wasn't discovering problems with their protos...

JP
    PIVOT Cycles

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    Thanks for the clever insight, guys. As Zenboy99 pointed out, I addressed this in another thread over on RM. Grubby wanted to run a dropper post on that bike in SA, and there was an imperfection in the seat tube that would not allow him to use the dropper. It's a prototype. Sh*t happens.

I'll be sure to consult you guys on all future marketing initiatives.

JP
    While we are on the subject, sounding like a dick is also not a good idea.

In all seriousness I love yeti since it is only 40 miles up the road it almost feel "local". I hope this frame comes about, just hope more that one day I will be able to afford said frame.

Broken but on the mend
    So close to production that Graves practiced with it in south africa........but decided to use the 15 pound aluminum frame instead, in the actually DH race. This worries me as a consumer because every racer complains how boring, flat, and pedally the track is in S.A. So it makes me curious as to what this bike would behave like in steep rocky terrain.
    why would this worry you as a consumer. the bike is clearly not a production bike yet.

if i was yeti i wouldnt want graves to run it in the race. when you have a 1 off prototype thats not anywhere near final production the place to test a frame in not in the first round of a world cup when your rider has a very very good chance of winning the overall this year.

as for graves, if i were him i wouldnt want to run it in the race either. he said it himself that it was the first time he had rode it so why would you ride a bike your not completely comfortable on in the first round of the world cup

people are being so nitpicky and already placing opnions on a frame that doesnt even exist to the gen public yet. knowing yeti this bike is going to be amazing when and if it ever comes out. the are a company that has always built very high quility products. i for one put off buying a brand new m9 this year because i knwo in the next year or so all the new dh bikes on the market are going to be cf. just give it time people we cant judge a product the first time it is brought out into a real testing enviornment

mtbr member
    What's funny to me is that I posted that I actually own a 303WC Alloy, and not a single post has asked me a question about it. Instead everyone prefers to speculate about a frame that is still in early prototype.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    What's funny to me is that I posted that I actually own a 303WC Alloy, and not a single post has asked me a question about it. Instead everyone prefers to speculate about a frame that is still in early prototype.
    Interesting perspective. The 303 WC was on my short list of frames but I went with the M9 overall and I can't speak for everyone else on here but I was waiting on the short review you mentioned in a previous post after riding again this weekend. I am very interested in hearing your thoughts on the frame.

While the carbon version may be still in early prototype it is pretty much the same as the alloy version minus the front triangle material. It is my understanding that the geometry of it is identical and the rear triangle is the same as found on the alloy version. The only real differences that will come from the carbon front triangle are any weight savings and increased stiffness (depending on the layup and materials). Having some experience with designing composite structures of different materials and geometries (regarding the laminae), I suspect that they are still testing the optimum layup and thickness of the material before actually releasing the frame although I could be wrong.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for the question!

My understanding is that the Carbon frme will exist, but I don't expect to even see it till the trade show, and availability probably won't be till spring 2013. So, if riders are interested in the new 303WC, and they should be, then I would consider getting the alloy version for this season.

As for differences between the Alloy and Carbon, I doubt stiffness with be a concern. The Alloy front end is very stout. I would expect there will be a weight savings, but don't know how much it will be.

I did get a second day on my bike this weekend, but the available terrain for testing is limited. I did a few shuttle laps and lots of pushing up the roughest sections to work on tuning the suspension. Overall the bike is very good. I'm mostly working on balancing the suspension. I'm running a Boxxer WC with an Avalanche damper. The Avy damper makes the Boxxer very plush and progressive at the end of the travel. The 303WC is more linear than the Avy damper. So my setup (160 lb rider) on the RC4 shock so far is: 5 clicks of LS comp, 2 clicks HS comp, Boost turned all the way (to match the progression of the fork), 135psi, rebound 5 clicks out, 350 lb Ti spring.

I'll add more to this review soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Scott, I started looking into the 303 WC after learning my LBS will now be carrying Yeti. I'm coming off a Sunday that I've been riding/racing for 3 years. I be interested in review of your new 303 WC. Do you have any knowledge of how the Yeti would ride compared to the Sunday? Thanks for any info.
    I think I'm starting to get excited about a new frame!

shitty

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any update on when a carbon 303WC frame might be available?

Members who have read this thread: 0