xt and lx cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

xt and lx cranks

until yesterday I have always loved my shimano cranks. I pulled the pedal inserts out of my non drive lx crank on my park bike yesterday. I think it came a little loose and I kept riding, prolly my fault, prolly shouldnt have lx cranks on a park bike but who knows, either way I need to keep it riding.

So heres my question can I just take my non drive xt crank off my DH bike and use it as a temporary fix until I get the replacement? Seems like it should work as long as I dont rip the it's threads out too.

Meh.
    The spline pattern is the same for the crank/spindle interface. Just make sure that the crank arms are the same length or you'll be pedaling funny.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah both 170. I wasnt sure if at that spline if the two cranksets were different materials or something maybe that would cause a problem

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Not to derail, but I've always wondered if you could heili coil those cranks if the threads get shredded? I bet you know Will...

Edit: I guess it would be harder to locate a reverse heili coil eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Not to derail, but I've always wondered if you could heili coil those cranks if the threads get shredded? I bet you know Will...

Edit: I guess it would be harder to locate a reverse heili coil eh?
    I'd like to know the answer to this too! I stripped a pedal out of an almost new XT crank (right side). I'd hate to just throw away a crank that is in such good shape
    JRA

gnar, brah
    If anyone needs a drive-side XT M770 I might be able to help out. Completely ruined the non-drive-side on a hard landing and Shimano won't warranty.

Don't kid yourself, the XT is NOT a DH-worthy crankset. If you are busting parts, go Saint so you don't need to have that worry in the back of your head.
    Trestle Bike Park

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    If anyone needs a drive-side XT M770 I might be able to help out. Completely ruined the non-drive-side on a hard landing and Shimano won't warranty.
    Left arms are $50

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froog...lver-15822.htm
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

bike rider
    [QUOTE=Andrewpalooza]Completely ruined the non-drive-side on a hard landing and Shimano won't warranty.QUOTE]
    Could you describe the situation and what happened to the crank? I've never seen an "X Type" crank fail except stripping the pedal threads and this was always due to over or under tightening.
    Keep the Country country.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabdoctor
    Thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind if I plan on using the cranks again.

As for how they broke, I landed hard off a gap, and I think the rear wheel got hung up on a rock. Anyway, the entire left crank arm was bowed inward along its length, and the area around the pedal threads was also twisted to one side. It was as if they were made of play-dough or something. They were less than two weeks old. Not Shimano's fault really, they just aren't real DH cranks.

No problems with Saints of course, and the stiffness is certainly tangible.
    Trestle Bike Park

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza

Don't kid yourself, the XT is NOT a DH-worthy crankset. If you are busting parts, go Saint so you don't need to have that worry in the back of your head.
    Andrew,

If you decide you want to sell the right side crank sometime send me a PM. I just put in an order for a Saint on my DH bike, but could definitely use the XT on my trail bike.
    JRA

bike rider
    Interesting to hear. I've always used XC cranks on my DH bike and recommended the same to others based on the fact that you never hear of the crank arm itself failing. I'll continue using my 7 year old Race Face Turbines but I'll stop telling strangers who may be less smooth to do the same.
    Keep the Country country.

Meh.
    Yeah, you should be able to helicoil the XT. But I suppose it depends on the situation. I have seen the reverse helicoils before. And I think there are Time Sert inserts too.

I've been riding street and dirt jump on a set of XT cranks. My only concern was the lack of a pedal insert, but I always figured I'd just helicoil it if it became an issue.

mtbr member
    Left hand thread helicoils are readily available - so as Will says you should be able to fix it if need be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yup it works fine. These cranks until now have held up fine on my park bike and the XTs are going on year 4 on my DH bike.

I have been looking for the helicoils and cannot find the reverse threads.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by spxoo
    I have been looking for the helicoils and cannot find the reverse threads.
    Check your LBS. We have a kit on the way that comes with the tooling and a set of left and right threads just for repairing cranks... Your shop may already have it, or can get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I'd like to know the answer to this too! I stripped a pedal out of an almost new XT crank (right side). I'd hate to just throw away a crank that is in such good shape
    Most good Bike shops will have a Helicoil kit for this problem. Having worked in a shop I have done this many times and it works great.

Members who have read this thread: 0