XT or Gravity Lite Cranks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. XT or Gravity Lite Cranks?

I have been thinking of getting some lighter cranks and was looking at gravity lites, but lately I have been looking at Shimano XT. I have been runing Holzfellers that don't have the pedal inserts so I am not worried about striping them. What your opinions, pros, cons of these cranks?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, glites are flexy as hell. I just pulled a set off my bike that i've been running for the past year. My XT cranks are pretty boss though, I'd run those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Well, glites are flexy as hell. I just pulled a set off my bike that i've been running for the past year. My XT cranks are pretty boss though, I'd run those.
    What the F*ck is wrong with you Bill? You complain about some of the best products out there!!??? Your one sensitive fella!
    I have the Gravity Lites (83mm) on one bike and XT's on another. I cannot feel any difference.
    And a few pro DH'rs run them so they must not be too bad!

XT cranks are lighter I believe and would have chosen them if they had 83mm but they have held up to my 190lb WG self and aggressive riding w/drops.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    What the F*ck is wrong with you Bill? You complain about some of the best products out there!!??? Your one sensitive fella!
    I have the Gravity Lites (83mm) on one bike and XT's on another. I cannot feel any difference.
    And a few pro DH'rs run them so they must not be too bad!

XT cranks are lighter I believe and would have chosen them if they had 83mm but they have held up to my 190lb WG self and aggressive riding w/drops.
    I am a well known pedantic bastard known for the way my bike is set up. Doesn't really make me faster, but I enjoy having the bike exactly as I want it.

That said, flexy cranks is one of the things that really pisses me off. When I put the power down having flexy cranks sucks worse then anything. You can flex the glites by hand. FWIW my glites/evolves are both 83mm versions, and my xt are 73. I would be running the xt's if I could.

Glad to Be Alive
    it's called an opinion......I hate single pivots and faux bar.....but some people love them....doesn't mean any of us our wrong....just choice

XT MY BROTHER
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-01-2008 at 11:14 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

moaaar shimz
    XT's ALL THE WAY..... Hollowtech II rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    it's called an opinion......I hate single pivots and faux bar.....but some people love them....doesn't mean any of us our wrong....just choice
    I think he was joking. Plus, he's right, I am incredibly picky about small sh!t compared to your average rider.

mtbr member
    I think he was joking. Plus, he's right, I am incredibly picky about small sh!t compared to your average rider.
    Yes I was joking. Sometimes I don't feel like putting smiley's on my posts. My Bad!
    But it seems like you got the jest of my post. Rock on people!

mtbr member
    How about Atlas FR cranks?
    Light and built like a bricksh!t house.

Enforcer
    Jul 2007
    Someone posted a how to on converting xt cranks so they are able to be used with an 83mm bb shell. If your willing to chop into a new set of cranks and have an 83mm bb i would definately go xt's. Otherwise, just stick with what you've got, holzfeller cranks aren't that bad..
    Quote Originally Posted by holoholo
    why should I search google--when I can get a know-it-all like you to do it?
    Legend...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee ideki
    Someone posted a how to on converting xt cranks so they are able to be used with an 83mm bb shell. If your willing to chop into a new set of cranks and have an 83mm bb i would definately go xt's. Otherwise, just stick with what you've got, holzfeller cranks aren't that bad..
    Doesn't work with regular xt's. You have to get ahold of the m771's, which are very rare in the states and difficult to find. You can do it with xtr cranks though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If you've got cash to spare, be sure to check out the 09 saint cranks. Actually at least check them out even if you don't.

mtbr member
    Take a look at the new SLX. They are almost as light as XT, but have chromoly pedal inserts.

mtbr member
    Whatcha gonna do with the g-lites? How heavy are you? I don't like flexy cranks either but I'm only 175 so was thinking of picking up a set. PM me if you think they could work for me. I do need 170mm tho and 83mm shell.

Thanks,

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

troubled economist
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Take a look at the new SLX. They are almost as light as XT, but have chromoly pedal inserts.
    x2

And the 2 ring/bash version is stronger than XT. Running them on my hardtail.

A steal at chainreactioncycles right now.
    dig...

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by toowacky
    x2

And the 2 ring/bash version is stronger than XT. Running them on my hardtail.

A steal at chainreactioncycles right now.
    I thought SLX didn't come in 83mm BB, though....?
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    I thought SLX didn't come in 83mm BB, though....?
    They don't, but neither do XT which the OP was interested in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't need 83mm bb. I ride a demo which has 73mm. I think I might just get the xt as they are no more than glites and lighter.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    150lbs and zero flex from my glites.

Slap happy crappiness
    Gravity Lites are total junk IMO. Just yesterday a buddy bent his 2nd set this year. Every, and I mean every friend I ride with that's had GL's has bent them in a years time. I weigh 235lbs (all my riding buddies have to be sub 180lbs for sure) and ran XT's for an entire season without having to replace anything on them, no bending, no pedal insert tearing out, no nothing.
    Shimano has the crank thing down, IMO, 1 of 3 products I'll put on my bike from them.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    like Rick Ross Boss or Donald Trump Boss?

EastBaySteez
    I have the older Gravity Lites. Need them gone.
    PM me.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    The new Glites are good. The flex/bending was with the old version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can't speak for the XT cranks..
    But I know that I'm loving my Grav Lights!
    Since I'm no clydesdale, they feel really stiff and light and I don't worry about them bending unless I were to bang 'em up against something.

mtbr member
    Another for XT... lighter, stiffer, and service free. Use pedal washers.... they work very well to prevent stripped pedal threads.
    Bikeless Rider

Woodlot local
    Gravity Lights - FTMFW

Glad to Be Alive
    XT's...........
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    If you have the coin XT's are dope. G-Lites are good though, my friend has gone through 2 sets and they seemed solid. One set got bent though...
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by buckoW
    The new Glites are good. The flex/bending was with the old version.
    When did they change that? Mine are pretty flexy, they're 08's.

Slap happy crappiness
    When did they change that? Mine are pretty flexy, they're 08's.
    I think he's refering to when they switched to external BB, which was 08 IIRC. When I mentioned that every one of my friends has bent the pair they owned, I was refering to the 08 externals as well, so IMO he's wrong, they are still junk.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    I run a pair of old G Lites, guess I'm to weak not to notice any flex, I'm happy with them and they were free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Neither

Those crank choices will not work correctly on your Demo with out some changes/limmitations

Your Demo requires a 56 mm chainline which you can only get via an 83mm bb crankset (with a RF 73mm bb kit) if you go with a 2 piece (hollowtech, etc)....or by using older ISIS or the howitzer set up from Truvativ....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Neither

Those crank choices will not work correctly on your Demo with out some changes/limmitations

Your Demo requires a 56 mm chainline which you can only get via an 83mm bb crankset (with a RF 73mm bb kit) if you go with a 2 piece (hollowtech, etc)....or by using older ISIS or the howitzer set up from Truvativ....
    Plenty of people run these cranks on Demos no problems.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Plenty of people run these cranks on Demos no problems.

And plenty of people are stupid ....and have not been building bikes for 25 years. It is not rocket science, nor am I quoting numbers that cannot be verified.

Your Demo, like all Demos take a 56mm chainline period (asymetrical rear end). Gravity lights (for a 73mm bb) and XT cranks have a 50mm chainline period. Look it up!

Why do you think that ALL demos come with a 56mm chainline howitzer or ISIS bb??????

Yes you can mount it up and your bike will 'work'....but you will kill your chainring, chain, and cogs in no time (start saving now), and you will have problems with chain derailment when backpedaling as you will ALWAYS be cross geared.

If you want to go this route, you will want to/need to run a LG1 or similar with the chainring on the outside mount to get semi-close to the correct chainline....this will also require removing the granny ring bosses on the XTs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    And plenty of people are stupid ....and have not been building bikes for 25 years. It is not rocket science, nor am I quoting numbers that cannot be verified.

Your Demo, like all Demos take a 56mm chainline period (asymetrical rear end). Gravity lights (for a 73mm bb) and XT cranks have a 50mm chainline period. Look it up!

Why do you think that ALL demos come with a 56mm chainline howitzer or ISIS bb??????
    Is there a way to get them to work buy using a 83mm bb version or just get some Holzfeller OCT?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member

Yes you can mount it up and your bike will 'work'....but you will kill your chainring, chain, and cogs in no time (start saving now), and you will have problems with chain derailment when backpedaling as you will ALWAYS be cross geared.

If you want to go this route, you will want to/need to run a LG1 or similar with the chainring on the outside mount to get semi-close to the correct chainline....this will also require removing the granny ring bosses on the XTs.
    Call me stupid but...
    On the Gravity website they state that the 83mm Gravity Light crankset is for a 57.5mm chainline
    http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?...oduct&taxid=13

You may be thinking of the Gravity Light BB30. I don't really know which ones are stronger but they look identical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHGnaR
    I think he's refering to when they switched to external BB, which was 08 IIRC. When I mentioned that every one of my friends has bent the pair they owned, I was refering to the 08 externals as well, so IMO he's wrong, they are still junk.
    No, I am talking about the alu used in the crank. For 2009 they have switched the metal and there are no more problems. I rode for the 2008 season with a new pair and there were no problems or "flex." They are 800g with bb. Both are good cranks but I just wanted to clarify that the problems were with the old ones. That problem has been addressed.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    I bent 2 pairs of the Gravity lite's and im only 150. I know I wont have the same problem with my new 2009 Saint's

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No, I am talking about the alu used in the crank. For 2009 they have switched the metal and there are no more problems. I rode for the 2008 season with a new pair and there were no problems or "flex." They are 800g with bb. Both are good cranks but I just wanted to clarify that the problems were with the old ones. That problem has been addressed.
    Thanks for your input, always good to hear from somebody who actually knows their ass from their elbows. I wont call them off in the future, but definitely wont run an 08 pair again unless my current cranks fail, and I have these around as backup. I'd like to try before I buy, want to cruise over to the states and let me have a go on your bike

Just for comparison, are you saying they're way less flexy then they used to be or are you saying they're as stiff as some of the other current offerings. Obviously I understand they may not be as stiff as saints, but those are 260 grams heavier or something. What about something like XT's (I know, 73mm vs 83mm is tough to compare directly)

mtbr member
    I have ridden a couple of pairs of the Saints in 73 and 83mm and I always get play in the interface between the arm and spindle so that is why I tried the G-lites. Porter (Gravity team manager) is a friend from college and he told me to wait and get the new ones with the different alu.

I got mine from FSA/Gravity for testing and I don't notice any excessive flex. I have big gouges in the cranks and pedals from hitting rocks and they are still straight. My bb is pretty low and I ride very rocky technical stuff, hitting pedals and/or cranks a couple times per run on certain trails. The interface between the crank and spindle has already lasted longer than any one of the 3 pairs of Saints that I had problems with. I ride a lot and test stuff for a couple companies and the new G-lites have passed my tests, FWIW, I never rode the old ones because I am hard on cranks and I was told to wait til they change the alu. I also like the XT but think the rounded smallish splines on the crank interface is maybe not pronounced for me and where I ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have ridden a couple of pairs of the Saints in 73 and 83mm and I always get play in the interface between the arm and spindle so that is why I tried the G-lites. Porter (Gravity team manager) is a friend from college and he told me to wait and get the new ones with the different alu.

I got mine from FSA/Gravity for testing and I don't notice any excessive flex. I have big gouges in the cranks and pedals from hitting rocks and they are still straight. My bb is pretty low and I ride very rocky technical stuff, hitting pedals and/or cranks a couple times per run on certain trails. The interface between the crank and spindle has already lasted longer than any one of the 3 pairs of Saints that I had problems with. I ride a lot and test stuff for a couple companies and the new G-lites have passed my tests, FWIW, I never rode the old ones because I am hard on cranks and I was told to wait til they change the alu. I also like the XT but think the rounded smallish splines on the crank interface is maybe not pronounced for me and where I ride.
    Cool man, I'll have to give the new ones a try, I've always been a big fan of the spline interface with the glites, they were just way to flexy. Good to hear, since at their weight they're hard to beat

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Call me stupid but...
    On the Gravity website they state that the 83mm Gravity Light crankset is for a 57.5mm chainline
    http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?...oduct&taxid=13

You may be thinking of the Gravity Light BB30. I don't really know which ones are stronger but they look identical.
    Demo has a 73mm bb........the 73mm bb version of the GLs have a 48-50mm chainline. You could use the 83mm version of the gravity, you just need to either mfg some spindle shims or get the RF 83 to 73 mm adapter kit.

This can get a little confusing with chainlines these days....
    a 135 rear end IS a 47.5 mm chainline by deffinition and by actual measurement
    a 150 rear end IS a 55 mm chianline by deffinition and by measurement.

Now throw in the external bb cranks that all push the chainline out by a mm or two for bearing space.....you get curent extrernals offering 50mm and 57 - 59 mm respectively. Now thoough in frames like the Demo that have an asymetrical 135 rear end and an odd 56mm chainline...it is not always so easy to figure out what parts work together.
    Last edited by davep; 12-06-2008 at 12:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryBoy
    Is there a way to get them to work buy using a 83mm bb version or just get some Holzfeller OCT?

You can do several things...

1 use an 83mm 'external bb' cranks and get the Race face 73 to 83 mm adapter to fit the cranks to your frame (or mfg your own spindle shims to take up the 10mm)

or

2 use a 73 mm 'external' set with a single ring on the OUTSIDE mount (you may have to some cutting/grinding specifically on the granny tabs)...you will need a chainguide that allows this.... like an LG1

or

3 stick with a seperate bb and cranks like ISIS or the Howitzer so that you can buy a proper 55-57mm chainline bb.

Members who have read this thread: 0