XT Cranks- Mtbr.com

Thread: XT Cranks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XT Cranks

What are your thoughts on running XT Crank and Arms on DH/Freeride Bike?

I see most people have Race Face or Truvativ, and a few have Saints.

I am building a bike on somewhat of a budget and just took them (after adding a bashgaurd and chain guide) from my XC rig.

mtbr member
    dbl post

mtbr member
    I have been running the old style XT on my chameleon that sees a fair amount of DH/Resort riding every year. No problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry if this has been posted before, I just don't have time to browse through 150 pages of previous posts.

They have been working for me so far but look a little out of place on the bike.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I've run the older style (ISIS) on my Enduro because they came stock and never had a single problem... Can't argue w/ that!
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    i've scene guys run XT for DH/FR and 4X. i think of you have them just ride them.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    I've run the older style (ISIS) on my Enduro because they came stock and never had a single problem... Can't argue w/ that!
    Shimano used Octalink, not ISIS.

The cranks do hold up very well though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the newer Hollowtech Version, with external BB Bearings, They have held up so far, but I haven't done anything to extreme with them "yet"

Schmeow Productions
    i am gonna run either those, saints or holzfellers on my next big bike (big bike meaning not bmx).

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Newbee
    I have the newer Hollowtech Version, with external BB Bearings, They have held up so far, but I haven't done anything to extreme with them "yet"
    i rode the hollowtech II Xts for a while. i used them for DJ and lift access freeride (winterberg bikepark in Germany. they held up fine. However, they are light and they are hollow aluminum so i wouldnt expect them to hold forever if you are beating them hard everyday... even profile racing cranks can break...
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

Meh.
    Yeah, but Profiles suck. And I'm running them on my BMX bike. But yes, all aluminum parts will eventually reach it's fatigue life.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Yeah, but Profiles suck. And I'm running them on my BMX bike. But yes, all aluminum parts will eventually reach it's fatigue life.
    profile racing cranks: people either love ' em or hate 'em. the line in the sand is clear...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro Newbee
    What are your thoughts on running XT Crank and Arms on DH/Freeride Bike?

I see most people have Race Face or Truvativ, and a few have Saints.

I am building a bike on somewhat of a budget and just took them (after adding a bashgaurd and chain guide) from my XC rig.

If you're talking about the 752s you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'd be better off with the HONE set-up: You get the steel spindle of the Saint (though not as beefy) vs the aluminum one on the new XT and almost the same weight as the XT (about 1/2 lb lighter than Saint), and, they can be had for cheap - Performance had them on sale for $100 a while back. The older (752) XT had a steel spindle and aside from the ring spider eventually creaking they were pretty darn durable. The new XT with the aluminum spindle is not designed as a FR/DH crank.

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 5$Milkshake
    If you're talking about the 752s you'll be fine. Otherwise, you'd be better off with the HONE set-up: You get the steel spindle of the Saint (though not as beefy) vs the aluminum one on the new XT and almost the same weight as the XT (about 1/2 lb lighter than Saint), and, they can be had for cheap - Performance had them on sale for $100 a while back. The older (752) XT had a steel spindle and aside from the ring spider eventually creaking they were pretty darn durable. The new XT with the aluminum spindle is not designed as a FR/DH crank.
    since when does the XT hollowtech 2 have an alu spindle? mine was steel...

hmm just checked shimano's HP and although they dont mention what the spindle is made out of, in photos the spindle does look thicker ---> Al. bummer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer
    since when does the XT hollowtech 2 have an alu spindle? mine was steel...

hmm just checked shimano's HP and although they dont mention what the spindle is made out of, in photos the spindle does look thicker ---> Al. bummer.
    my XT H2 spindle is steel. the hone/LX is a thicker wall AL. I gots to give steel the nod.

I have seen a XT pop off once. the plastic preload cap poped out. but the guy had a 73mm BB and had shimmed the cranks as a 68mm. so it was a set up error.

regardless I bought an XTR preload cap, which is AL, just in case

My opinion is that the XT are great. should not be an issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0