xc bikes for freeride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well xc bikes for freeride

right now i have a trek fuel 70
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1142600&f=14

and since all my friends do freeride i am starting to get into it because i dont like riding alone not to mention freeride it alot of fun.

what do guy think of the fuel 70 doing freeride, how much longer will this guy hold up, i dont need sugestions on what bike to get because i am unemployed(sp) and i am saving every penny. i dont need flamming either but if u cant help it go ahead.

i will post a pic of my fuel when i get back

thank u all!
    "if you dont scare yourself a little each day, your not truely living"

No Fear!
    You could do alot of FR on that just not too many hard big hucks and jumping make sure you be pretty smooth,

Ive used my 1998 Kona Muni HT for FR for 5 years and havent had a problem as long as i stay smooth and dont hit the ground too hard the frame will be ok I did however snap my old Kona ui< full sus XC frame on a 15ft jump just landed a little too hard and snapped the HT

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/887040/

mtbr member
    XC bikes can't take any serious frreride use. Try to sell yoiur Fuel and buy a used freeride bike. You could likely break even on the swap, and you'd have a much more suitable bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Playing with fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaman
    right now i have a trek fuel 70
    http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1142600&f=14

and since all my friends do freeride i am starting to get into it because i dont like riding alone not to mention freeride it alot of fun.

what do guy think of the fuel 70 doing freeride, how much longer will this guy hold up, i dont need sugestions on what bike to get because i am unemployed(sp) and i am saving every penny. i dont need flamming either but if u cant help it go ahead.

i will post a pic of my fuel when i get back

thank u all!
    It depends on what you define as freeride. If you are only doing smallish hucks ie; 2-3ft, it should be fine. Any bigger and you will start to go through rims and other components, not to mention the frame will probably break at some point in time.

mtbr member
    Everthing depends on body wieght and riding style, you might be able to ride the fuel if yoku ride smooth and don't wiegh a ton.

mtbr member
    i am 5'6 120, so i think that will do...

Portland, OR
    at your height and weight, you'll probably be fine on anything under 4 feet (dropwise) just make sure you're really smooth, because if your not, you will go through stuff, fork first, then frame, and especially rear shock, will all get screwed for serious freeride.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    you can ride any type of bike for any type of riding for the most part...if you are smooth. doesn't mean your fuel will hold up to much but if all you are doing is smaller 3ft drops to transition etc....you could just make some minor changes and you would be fine, with room to maybe even go a bit bigger. you could get a shorter stem, maybe another set of wheels. just be smooth for now and if you end up getting into it buy something else.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I think geometry is your main problem. That's a good XC bike, and being such it has a decently steep head angle. It also has stay length and other issues that make it XC in nature. There's not much you can do about that. Shorter stems and other bandaids will help, but that bike will always be a quick handling and unforgiving bike for real freeride and perhaps even really technical and gnarly terrain. I'd either keep the bike for its intended use or sell it and get something more suitable. Also, the Fuel 70 is the lower end Fuel model, so some its components are going to be marginal for really hard use.

mtbr member
    It'd be best to get the right tool for the job but at 120# you can do quite a bit on the Trek without a problem as long as you land smoothly. I don't think the Trek would handle too many shanked landings without tearing it up so I'd take it easy.
    Banned

mtbr member
    well thanks all, but i have been pointed to the versus blitz, which should hold up

Members who have read this thread: 0