X-post from Speshy forum...Big Hit geo/travel question.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091

    X-post from Speshy forum...Big Hit geo/travel question.

    I noticed that the Spesh website shows two different geometry specs for BB height, STA and HTA labeled either low/mid or high/mid. Is there a position adjust for the shock that changes these settings? Or is the geometry different based whether the model comes with a 2.5" or 2.75" stroke shock? Here's the 2007 Big Hit page, the '06 and '08 specs seem similar. Any input from Big Hit owners or other knowledgeable folk is appreciated.

    Also, I'd be interested in hearing any comments from owners regarding the ride characteristics of the Big Hit and the different shocks/settings. I did find some Big Hit discussion, but it's tough to search for because MTBR doesn't allow three character searches.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rustyskills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    757
    I ride and 04 and the adjustment in by moving the shock position in differnt provided bolt wholes i love the bike the geometry on the bike is amazing

  3. #3
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    I believe the stroke is the only thing that changes, it still uses the same eye to eye length. If you look carefully, you can see two mounting positions on the link. And their website does mention the adjustable geometry.


  4. #4
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I believe the stroke is the only thing that changes, it still uses the same eye to eye length. If you look carefully, you can see two mounting positions on the link. And their website does mention the adjustable geometry.
    That's want I'm getting from the (2007) website -> the lower end BH model (FSR II) has a 8.75" x 2.5" shock netting 190mm travel and the FSR III has a 8.75" x 2.75" shock netting 208mm travel. They offer a 180mm fork on the II and a 200mm fork on the III.

    My question is, how is the geometry (BB height, STA, HTA, etc.) the same when the fork is taller on the FSR III? The shock length isn't any different (as you said, just a longer stroke), so that shouldn't cause any geometry changes, but the fork is almost an inch taller...wouldn't that raise the BB height and slacken the STA and HTA? I'm just wondering how accurate the website numbers are and which set up they refer to. The slacker numbers look appealing, I'd be happy with a ~14.25" BB height and 66* HA (or even sub 66*) with 8" travel front and rear.

  5. #5
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Maybe they measure with the same dimensions for the fork. Besides, single crowns with less travel are often taller than DCs with the same amount of travel.

  6. #6
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskills
    I ride and 04 and the adjustment in by moving the shock position in differnt provided bolt wholes i love the bike the geometry on the bike is amazing
    Whole - would you like a whole piece of pie?
    Hole - put it in the hole!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigEhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    225
    well i own a 08 BH and the adjustment at the arear shock changes bb heaight and head tube angle simultaneously. the domain forks on the fsr2 are pretty close to the same height as the 888 on the 3 if not the same heaight. by moving the shock mount on the shock link it raises the back of the bike a good amount and takes the slack out of the headtube angle. it also changes the coil progression slightly giving a stiffer feel and slightly less travel.

  8. #8
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Maybe they measure with the same dimensions for the fork.
    Maybe. My hope would be that they'd be a little more detailed and accurate than that and measure both models/configurations and put those number up. Especially a company with the resources like Specialized, you'd think they could pull a couple of bikes out of the assembly line and hold up a tape measure and angle finder to get accurate #'s.

    Besides, single crowns with less travel are often taller than DCs with the same amount of travel.
    True, but in this case it's a RS Domain 180mm SC and a Marzocchi 888 DC. According to SRAM the A2C on the Domain is 565mm. The Zoke website doesn't have a listing for the '07 888RV, but the other 888 models for '07 were around 585mm. That's a 20mm difference, which should have some effect on the geo.

    In the end, if it's close to what they're saying and it rides well, I don't really care what the actual numbers are. But if the BB heights up being 16" then I'm probably not gonna be too happy. I'd love to get some real world measurements from actual 2007 Big Hit III owners. Any of them out there?

  9. #9
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091
    Thanks for the info. Which model do you have, the 2 or 3?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigEhit
    well i own a 08 BH and the adjustment at the arear shock changes bb heaight and head tube angle simultaneously. the domain forks on the fsr2 are pretty close to the same height as the 888 on the 3 if not the same heaight. by moving the shock mount on the shock link it raises the back of the bike a good amount and takes the slack out of the headtube angle. it also changes the coil progression slightly giving a stiffer feel and slightly less travel.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigEhit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    225
    my 08 BH is a 2 and i love the thing. i bought it over the 3 due to the build. i have become a strong beleiver in the anti dual crown revolution. i also have a built 04 comp.

  11. #11
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by bigEhit
    my 08 BH is a 2 and i love the thing. i bought it over the 3 due to the build. i have become a strong beleiver in the anti dual crown revolution.
    I'm glad you're digging it, although I didn't realize there was an actual anti-dual-crown revolution going on.

    Don't get me wrong, I've got a Marz 66sl that performs great, but I'd have to guess that it definitely gives up some stiffness to a dual crown fork. And, of course, with an inch less travel it will be less plush in the rough stuff and less forgiving when things get out of hand when compared to a 200mm travel fork.

  12. #12
    Stray Bullet
    Reputation: Nagaredama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,273
    My buddy has 07 BH and after riding his I've been looking to buy one since they are so cheap. His is currently sporting a 2.75" stroke DHX and an 04 Super T.

    I could measure his BB and HA is both positions and raise the crowns on the fork to replicate the A to C of a 888.

  13. #13
    long standing member
    Reputation: PCinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    My buddy has 07 BH and after riding his I've been looking to buy one since they are so cheap. His is currently sporting a 2.75" stroke DHX and an 04 Super T.

    I could measure his BB and HA is both positions and raise the crowns on the fork to replicate the A to C of a 888.
    That would be awesome, I'd be interested in seeing what those numbers are. So you like the ride of the BH...how does it compare to your ASX?

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.