X-Post: Getting more out of a Remedy- Mtbr.com
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer

X-Post: Getting more out of a Remedy

So here's the deal:

I just bought a 2007 Remedy 66. Came with a Talas R 36 on front and a Manitou Swinger 3-way rear. That's fine for my day-to-day riding here in Oneonta, but I'm thinking about a coil shock for the more aggressive (shuttle/lift access) days.

Any of you guys have the older-style Remedy? The eye-to-eye looked alot like 7.875 with a 2.00 inch stroke. I'm thinking about a 7.875 X 2.25 in either Fox DXH 5 or Marzocchi Rocco TST.

Any of you folks done this? I know the Chumba XCL has the same shock size as the Remedy and can take the 2.25 stroke. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Cheers!
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you should try to shim your can first...it allows you to run LESS pressure in the main chamber without bottoming out and also makes the suspension more supple, better with small bumps compliances which is exactly what a coil shock does better over air.

It makes a significant difference, I run mine with 40 % sag ( still pedals really well with the propedal turned on) but Ive also added a bottom out bumper at the top of the can and I NEVER ever feel like Im bottoming out and yet it tacks like a MOFO.

Everything you need to know :

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070

GAME ON!
    Moar Shimz

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tuumbaq
    you should try to shim your can first...it allows you to run LESS pressure in the main chamber without bottoming out and also makes the suspension more supple, better with small bumps compliances which is exactly what a coil shock does better over air.

It makes a significant difference, I run mine with 40 % sag ( still pedals really well with the propedal turned on) but Ive also added a bottom out bumper at the top of the can and I NEVER ever feel like Im bottoming out and yet it tacks like a MOFO.

Everything you need to know :

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070
    He has a 2007, pre ABP/large air can/regressive rate.

Oh, So Interesting!
    You'd need to remove your shock and see if a 2.25" stroke will cause interference problems.

I think a dhx coil would work ok on that frame and you can probably get one real cheap on ebay.

Glad to Be Alive
    between those 2 shocks...get the ROCO....dhx5.0 is harsh on hits, no small bump sensitivity and stiff in mid stroke
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

maker of trail
    Coil like DHX should work fine on that bike, you can also find swinger 4way airs for like $80 on ebay that fit (bikewagon), its basically teh same as the 3way except it has bottom out resist so I should handle hits a bit more controlled.

I picked one up for my wifes old kona stinky (similar suspension setup) in the same size (7.875X2.25).

Id be wary of pushing that frame too hard though...

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    thanks for the feedback, gents. I ended up opting for the Zokie Roco TST. Found a solid deal on one. I'm going with a 2.25 inch stroke. I didn't want to get another air shock, or try fiddling with this shock, because I want 2 shocks for two very different types of riding. While I won't be doing any crazy freeride, there are some places my friends and I go that I just want a bit more (Diablo, Blue Mountain, Ellicottville, Plattekill).

Essenmeinstuff-- I don't plan on pushing the frame too hard really, just want a big extra cush on the more aggressive days so as not to be worrying about bottoming out so much. Cheers!

I'll be posting a follow-up once I get everything set up and we see a bit less white around here.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    between those 2 shocks...get the ROCO....dhx5.0 is harsh on hits, no small bump sensitivity and stiff in mid stroke
    agreed
    you need a good ROCO
    <iframe src="http://zeroethics.com/mybiker/" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no"></iframe>
    i'm new to bike riding. but imma learn every bits from mtbr.com!! Montana Rider
    Go GO GOO!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0