X-post fromSpesh forum: anything to say about the Demo 9?- Mtbr.com
    Now with More Wood

X-post fromSpesh forum: anything to say about the Demo 9?

So,

I've got my eyes on a used Demo 9 (from 06) - just wanted to see if any of you guys here happen to have any experience on one, and if so, what are your thoughts? I need a big hit DH/FR rig to relieve my Enduro SL of some of its heavier duties ....don't really want to drop the coin on a new bike right now, so this one may be a good compromise. What gives? The Good, The Bad, The Ugly:

-Anything to look out for with the Demo 9 (cracks, bearings, etc)....
    -How does it ride? I presume it's up for the abuse, but maybe its a bit too slack in the headtube for the FR/jumping side of things? Does it rail nicely etc?
    -Not that I really want to do any climbing, but just in case, this thing can run a dual ring up front, right?

thanks in advance for any advice...

GERONIMO!!!!!!!
    Dec 2007
    Heavy

18 years old
    Feb 2005
    squishy
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ...it's just that when I'm wondering what things are like head tube, seat post, cranks, flux capacitor, SS, FS, hardtail...

Capricious youth...
    Meow.
    Meh.

Slap happy crappiness
    Heavy, heavy, and meow.
    It's a solid bike. You can run dual ring. It's a big huck bike that's still DH worthy. 4 shock mounting positions to give you different head angles and bottom bracket heights. I'd opt for a older Demo 8 if you can, similar features just lighter. The Demo 9 was a Red Bull Rampage bike, there are better options for a DH bike. I forget which year but some had cracking issues in the rib cage area.
    Pedals like crap. Plows though the rough. Corners okay. I'd really suggest looking for a different bike. It's a struggle to get the 9 under 45lbs... most sit between 48lbs and 50+. And yes, you can feel the weight difference in corners, directional changes, and getting the bike moving.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Meow.
    That's the laugh I needed on my lunch break!

Capricious youth...
    Glad to be of service, Jeng.

To add to what DHGnaR has said, if you want a bike with a somewhat long wheelbase, then go for it. It'll plow through the rocky straights as good as almost anything with 9" of travel. BUT, it's heavy. Cornering suffers. And it's going to pedal pretty bad on the slow straights and in tight turns. But it sounds to me like you're truly looking for a cheap bike for the BIG stuff.

So here's the upsides:

You have an Enduro already. That's a fantastic trail bike, and can easily be used for light-to-moderate freeride. I use my Iron Horse MkIII with a Pike and Mavic 729's for what I consider moderate freeride, and haven't had a problem. With that said, your Enduro is built better than my MkIII, so use that bike as much as possible.

If you're going to get a slammin' deal on the Demo 9, then why not? You have your near-6" bike already for the daily grind. Get the Demo for a great deal (hopefully $1,400 or less), and ride the piss out of it. Even in 2 years, you'll still be able to sell it for $1,000, and then you basically only spent $400 for a bike that you rode for 2 years. Not too shabby.

P.S. Meow.
    Meh.

The Beaver
    I like my Demo 8... never ridden the 9, but I bet it is pretty similar. Prettym1k3 and DHGnaR have valid points that should also be considered.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Now with More Wood
    I obviously need to work on my cat jokes.

Prettym1k3 (were all the REALLY complicated screen names taken already, or what??? ) - you pretty much hit it on the head there - looking to get away for relatively cheap with something that I don't have to worry about breaking on bigger stuff. I fully intend to keep the Enduro as my main ride, and with the way I have built it, it's more than up for most of what I can throw at it, but I'd just like a bit more peace of mind when going big (big for me, anyway - its not like I think that I actually NEED a Rampage huck bike... ). I'll continue using the Enduro on the local jump spots, aggressive trail riding, and the 4x style tracks we have here where the bike is EXCELLENT - just worried about the big drops out in the rough...
    Where I live there's not an abundance of used DH bikes, and prices run quite a bit higher than in the US - beggars can't be choosers - this one can be had for about 2000, nicely built up with a Fox 40, DHX 4.0, decent rims etc. Obviously, I would have preferred to get my hands on recent Demo 8, but that looks tough to pull off....so yeah, sounds like it might be a candidate. But cheap and heavy....maybe a Kona Stab could fit the bill as well...?

Capricious youth...
    Kona's are great bikes, as they haven't changed much on their bikes over the past few years. In other words, they seem to have the Stab bikes dialed in pretty well. But most of the people I know who ride Konas are kids, who destroy their bikes until they're completely clapped out, and then ditch them for a cheap price because the bike is total garbage. So watch out for that.

I'd talk the guy down. While the DHX 4.0 is a good rear shock, and the 40 (hopefully an RC2) is a great fork, that doesn't negate the fact that the frame is now 3 years old, and a 3-year old DH frame usually isn't worth much. So talk him down to $1,600-$1,800, and go from there.

P.S. I'm so pretty... oh so pretty.

Meh.

Members who have read this thread: 0