Wtf.. Avid, Sram, Boxxer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wtf.. Avid, Sram, Boxxer?

My lady just got my a pair of Codes for X-mas. Went to install them on my Boxxer WC... can't get the front caliper to mount right. The front brake came w/ a post mount and an IS mount. I'd assume since both Avid and Rockshox are SRAM subs, a pair of Avid brakes would come w/ a Boxxer mount? Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Or am I plain retarded and can't mount a brake?
    The caliper w/ the IS mount sits too close to the lowers so I can't get the rotor between the pads, and slightly too high so even if the rotor was lined w/ the pads they'd only contact about half the rotor. The post mount obviously won't work.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    My lady just got my a pair of Codes for X-mas. Went to install them on my Boxxer WC... can't get the front caliper to mount right. The front brake came w/ a post mount and an IS mount. I'd assume since both Avid and Rockshox are SRAM subs, a pair of Avid brakes would come w/ a Boxxer mount? Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Or am I plain retarded and can't mount a brake?
    The caliper w/ the IS mount sits too close to the lowers so I can't get the rotor between the pads, and slightly too high so even if the rotor was lined w/ the pads they'd only contact about half the rotor. The post mount obviously won't work.

There is a Boxxer model that she should of gotten for you instead of the standard IS mounts. I would just call Avid and get it straighten out or go to a bike shop and see if they could swap it out.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    There is a Boxxer model that she should of gotten for you instead of the standard IS mounts. I would just call Avid and get it straighten out or go to a bike shop and see if they could swap it out.
    Does Sram actually specify a "Boxxer Model?" What do they do, just include the right adapter? The box I got came w/ an IS adapter and a post mount.. why not just throw in the Boxxer adapter and call it a day?
    PS, the factory bleed on my rear brake sucks balls. Lever pulls to the bars and I can still roll the bike.

******ed or Branded??
    Does Sram actually specify a "Boxxer Model?" What do they do, just include the right adapter? The box I got came w/ an IS adapter and a post mount.. why not just throw in the Boxxer adapter and call it a day?
    PS, the factory bleed on my rear brake sucks balls. Lever pulls to the bars and I can still roll the bike.

YEP!!!!

And yeah you gotta bleed those brakes cause they are lazy!!!!!
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    YEP!!!!

And yeah you gotta bleed those brakes cause they are lazy!!!!!
    Serious? Man, that's a let down on both accounts.
    How come I've never heard of this before? Or am I the only one whiny enough to post it on the intro-web.....

mtbr member
    You know what? I don't buy it. I've checked 3 on-line shops now... no "Boxxer model." Only the Boxxer specific adapter. Sram/Avid doesn't market a Boxxer specific model which consists of only throwing the Boxxer adapter in the box. Rubbish, pure rubbish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Boxxer's, Fox 40, Monster T's, some SC forks with a 20mm axle all take special fork adapters. With the exception of some manitous and the newer Rockshox most PM downhill forks need an adapter to run a 8" rotor. As if anyone actually runs a 6" rotor on a DH fork.

So I guess to be consistent, they would have to include 7 or 8 adapters with every brake set to cover the bases. They of course would pass the cost on to the customers and every single buyer would be paying for a half dozen adapters they will most likely never use.

Doesn't sound to practical. Considering that unlike most manufacturers of PM brakes they at least include the most common adapter used. Asking them to include them all is a little silly and yes, I realize you only want the Boxxer mount.

Probably what you really want is for them to standardize the Boxxer mounting tabs.. That is a legit gripe and long overdue. Most likely will happen on forks down the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    Probably what you really want is for them to standardize the Boxxer mounting tabs.. That is a legit gripe and long overdue. Most likely will happen on forks down the road.
    I totally agree with what you said. You'd just think they'd include the Boxxer adapter w/ the brakes rather than the other adapters, which are for forks not manufactured by them. Just ironic, and inconvenient in my case.
    Rant over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I totally agree with what you said. You'd just think they'd include the Boxxer adapter w/ the brakes rather than the other adapters, which are for forks not manufactured by them. Just ironic, and inconvenient in my case.
    Rant over.

Yeah, your gripes legit. No doubt about it.

Unfortunately all to common with downhill forks. I can tell you have never run Gustav's. You think buying a special adapter for the Codes sucks? Try the Gustav's at nearly a $100 a pop or even more. Seems like every time I changed forks I needed a new adapter. Primary reason I no longer run them. If it wasn't for that and the weight, Gustav's would be the ultimate DH brake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @ GnaR9
    this is what you need, its from avid and works for code and juicy7
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...-000_Web_B.pdf
    on page 22
    Last edited by 8664; 03-20-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bit of a quick fix I've done is just to flip the IS mount upside down, couple of washers here and there and it works fine - can't bear sitting round waiting for more bits till I can ride so this will have to do for a couple of days!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpetfiesta
    Bit of a quick fix I've done is just to flip the IS mount upside down, couple of washers here and there and it works fine - can't bear sitting round waiting for more bits till I can ride so this will have to do for a couple of days!
    I noticed that while goofing around to see if I can make it fit. Only thing about flipping it I don't like is the IS adapter won't sit totally flush w/ the mounting tabs since it flares out a tad on that side. I'll just cough up the $20 for the proper adapter.

Its got what plants crave
    I had to order an adapter for my new set of Juicy's also. It's an 8 inch brake but didn't include a post mount adapter which I think is freakin stupid. I can understand not putting in a Boxxer adapter since that's a one off thing, but no post mount? Isn't practically every long travel fork post mount these days? In the mean time at least I can run the 6 inch rotor but it's still irritating.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yea, it's not perfect - just cos it's christmas, I had no chance of getting hold of one for today, got one on order though.

Just thought I'd point out that it is possible if you're in dire need!

Ricky DH
    The "out of the box" bleed on Avid brakes does suck. I've had to take my 5's and 7's in and get them re-bled at my LBS.

BUT, once they are bled, they are bad-arse! Oh well, sucks but whatever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    all three of my codes came perfectly bled out of the box (had to send one back because the pad adjust was broken)

Mi vida es bueno
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    my codes came perfectly bled out of the box
    Mine did too.

Glad to Be Alive
    My lady just got my a pair of Codes for X-mas. Went to install them on my Boxxer WC... can't get the front caliper to mount right. The front brake came w/ a post mount and an IS mount. I'd assume since both Avid and Rockshox are SRAM subs, a pair of Avid brakes would come w/ a Boxxer mount? Was I wrong? Am I missing something? Or am I plain retarded and can't mount anything?:madman:

yep...I call this.....Fred your love life must suck

Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-26-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yep...I call this
    Did you read anything?

The entire thread answers the question. For ALL Rock Shox Boxxer Forks you need a SPECIAL Adaptor for all brakes.

Since I'm the 50th person to answer this question, I'll try and be useful. www.universalcycles.com typically has them.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Did you read anything?

The entire thread answers the question. For ALL Rock Shox Boxxer Forks you need a SPECIAL Adaptor for all brakes.

ummmm....it was a joke to fred...saying he can't mount anything.....get it ???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0