Which wrist guards & best place to order - because...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    New question here. Which wrist guards & best place to order - because...

    There I was enjoying my downtown ride tonight when I decided to take a 'new' street. Kinda dark but flat. Just rolling along when - BAM! I hit some railraod tracks that ran at about 45 degress across the road. They were embeded in the road with a nice groove next to the track that caught my tire and 'railed' me down. I hit my left hand/wrist and then smacked down the rest of myself. I was glad to have my knee pads and elbow guards and gloves - however I don't have wrist guards. So I now want some (wish I had this wisdom before) It was a cool crash as far as crashes go.

    Question: What kind do you like to run that protect and still allow good grip on bars, movement, etc...

    What is the best place to get them?

    Thanks for the help. I going to go get some ice.

    john

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    895
    Well the problem with wrist guards is that they're designed not to let your wrist move as much so it won't get hurt. This may be a problem if you need to do some tight steering or are simply annoyed eaisly. But if you must get wrist guards go with biking-specific ones such as the new 661 wrist guards. I don't know exactly where to order them from but try www.jensonusa.com they are usually pretty good about keeping a large inventory.

  3. #3

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    this may sound silly if not useless, but the best wrist guards are to train yourself not to put your hands out during a fall, but rather tuck in and take the brunt with your forearms (with a roll if possible). It initially goes against instinct, but this is what martial arts type classes train people to do when they're learning falls. Guards can protect from direct impact to the wrist and abrasions, but they wont keep your arm from snapping should you try and break your fall with your hands out.

    Also wrist guards wont protect your palms which can end your ride for the day or two. Its always better to keep your body compact during any fall, with no limbs flailing around.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    Train to fall ...

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    this may sound silly if not useless, but the best wrist guards are to train yourself not to put your hands out during a fall, but rather tuck in and take the brunt with your forearms (with a roll if possible). It initially goes against instinct, but this is what martial arts type classes train people to do when they're learning falls. Guards can protect from direct impact to the wrist and abrasions, but they wont keep your arm from snapping should you try and break your fall with your hands out.

    Also wrist guards wont protect your palms which can end your ride for the day or two. Its always better to keep your body compact during any fall, with no limbs flailing around.
    that makes alot of sense. I can see that it would take practice because it happened so fast last night. I'll look into the 661's and find a grassy feild I can start falling in when I feel better.

    Thanks!

    john

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    There I was enjoying my downtown ride tonight when I decided to take a 'new' street. Kinda dark but flat. Just rolling along when - BAM! I hit some railraod tracks that ran at about 45 degress across the road. They were embeded in the road with a nice groove next to the track that caught my tire and 'railed' me down. I hit my left hand/wrist and then smacked down the rest of myself. I was glad to have my knee pads and elbow guards and gloves - however I don't have wrist guards. So I now want some (wish I had this wisdom before) It was a cool crash as far as crashes go.

    Question: What kind do you like to run that protect and still allow good grip on bars, movement, etc...

    What is the best place to get them?

    Thanks for the help. I going to go get some ice.

    john
    John, get the EVS (http://www.motoworldracing.com/) or the 661 (they are virtually identical) - the work great, they don't affect my grip on the bars at all, and they keep my wrist I broke last Sept. from breaking again - I now wear them on both wrists - prevention being important....

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    that makes alot of sense. I can see that it would take practice because it happened so fast last night. I'll look into the 661's and find a grassy feild I can start falling in when I feel better.

    Thanks!

    john
    heh sounds funny when you say it. If you look up how to do shoulder rolls, you can simply practice those. I bet your body would strat reacting that way once it 'learn' the motion.

  7. #7
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,739
    My brother uses wrist guard. I'll email him and hopefully he will reply to this thread.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45

    Hey macrider, which of the...

    EVS do you use? I've been looking at the 661. I've been hesitant to buy because I don't want any(or as little as possible) interference with my grip.

    Thanx
    dirTrat

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    this may sound silly if not useless, but the best wrist guards are to train yourself not to put your hands out during a fall, but rather tuck in and take the brunt with your forearms (with a roll if possible). It initially goes against instinct, but this is what martial arts type classes train people to do when they're learning falls. Guards can protect from direct impact to the wrist and abrasions, but they wont keep your arm from snapping should you try and break your fall with your hands out.

    Also wrist guards wont protect your palms which can end your ride for the day or two. Its always better to keep your body compact during any fall, with no limbs flailing around.
    Learning to fall like this also keeps your shoulders where they should be. I learned the hard way. Seems like a lot of people are injuring/dislocating shoulders.

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    Go-Ride has 'longer' looking 661 VS Beyondbikes 661

    Just checking them out online it looks like Go-Ride has a version of the 661 wrist brace that may run up the forearm a little more. beyondBikes has the 04 'pro' version that looks a litttle more compact. I imagine past reviews and comments are on the older version.

    I saw the EVS on the link provided above.

    I think I'll learn how to crash AND wear the braces.

    Now if I can just find that bubble wrap....

    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_661.html
    661 (looks like the 03' version might be longer)

    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...I/ab/items.htm
    661 04 I like the wrist pro

    http://www.motoworldracing.com/evs_wrist_brace.html
    EVS Brand



    john

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirTrat
    EVS do you use? I've been looking at the 661. I've been hesitant to buy because I don't want any(or as little as possible) interference with my grip.

    Thanx
    dirTrat

    Yes, I use the EVS - no problem with grip at all - they only prevent your wrist from bending backwards too far - and are of course adjustable so you can have them tighter or looser

    661 has two types I think - one like the EVS (the Wrist Wrap Pro) that goes around the wrist only and another (the Wrist Wrap Light) that also goes around the thumb - I wouldn't want the around the thumb thing 'cause it'll mess with your grip I think

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    Just checking them out online it looks like Go-Ride has a version of the 661 wrist brace that may run up the forearm a little more. beyondBikes has the 04 'pro' version that looks a litttle more compact. I imagine past reviews and comments are on the older version.

    I saw the EVS on the link provided above.

    I think I'll learn how to crash AND wear the braces.

    Now if I can just find that bubble wrap....

    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_661.html
    661 (looks like the 03' version might be longer)

    http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...I/ab/items.htm
    661 04 I like the wrist pro

    http://www.motoworldracing.com/evs_wrist_brace.html
    EVS Brand



    john

    ahhh, I see - there is a third type - the Wrist Wrap - that looks like it goes high on the wrist (which may not work with upper body-armor - I wear my EVS's with a pressure suit)
    I think the Wrist Wrap Pro is most similar to the EVS's that I use - if you're gonna get 661's - the Pro would be my recommendation...

    learning to fall well is a good idea also, but it's pretty tough some times to keep those hands tucked - especially when you go OTB's unexpectedly....

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45

    Yeah, that's kind of...

    what I was wondering. If I should get the one with or without the thumb wrap. Thanx man.

    dirTrat

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    True impact prptection VS support

    seems like the two entry 661 models only offer the noeprene wrap with no plastic support for impact protection. EVS has plastic inserts.

    I am wondering on the 04' model 661 what they mean by plastic 'discs' . Could that just be a marketing ploy way of referring to plastic 'shims' or are the in some way articulated discs that interlock/move more freely than a plastic 'stick'

    john

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    seems like the two entry 661 models only offer the noeprene wrap with no plastic support for impact protection. EVS has plastic inserts.

    I am wondering on the 04' model 661 what they mean by plastic 'discs' . Could that just be a marketing ploy way of referring to plastic 'shims' or are the in some way articulated discs that interlock/move more freely than a plastic 'stick'

    john

    looking at the 661 "Pro" model - they look identical to the EVS - which means there are removable plastic pieces that provide the stiffness - each wrist guard comes with two of different thicknesses - you can use either one or both - depending on how stiff you want the guard - I use a single on my wrist that hasn't been broken and two on the wrist that has

  16. #16

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    45

    Cool, thanx macrider....

    think I'll go with the EVS...their on sale!

    dirTrat

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,132

    Martial arts classes?

    I have heard a few times now that practicing to fall is wise for MTB. I just wonder what sort of technique is employed for OTB action? I broke my collar bone last year after I braced for the fall w/ my arms extended. Thanx

  18. #18

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I have heard a few times now that practicing to fall is wise for MTB. I just wonder what sort of technique is employed for OTB action? I broke my collar bone last year after I braced for the fall w/ my arms extended. Thanx
    stardard shoulder roll, perfect for OTB. The problem is when you dart at something head-first without the possibility of a roll, thats when you'll be almost garanteed to put your hands foward no matter what; just gotta block in that case.

    the shoulder roll is like a 'sommer-sault' (sp?) but a along the arm over the shoulder (body is diagonal) rather than over the head.

    take some martial arts classes, its wicked just for getting in shape, and teaches your body to do cool self-preserving ****.

  19. #19

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    23

    http://rockgardn.com

    Hey man, check out the gloves by rock gardn with the wrist wrap...not gonna keep the wrist from snapping if you roll up real good, but they keep the wrist nice and stiff!!!!

    Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by klein444
    There I was enjoying my downtown ride tonight when I decided to take a 'new' street. Kinda dark but flat. Just rolling along when - BAM! I hit some railraod tracks that ran at about 45 degress across the road. They were embeded in the road with a nice groove next to the track that caught my tire and 'railed' me down. I hit my left hand/wrist and then smacked down the rest of myself. I was glad to have my knee pads and elbow guards and gloves - however I don't have wrist guards. So I now want some (wish I had this wisdom before) It was a cool crash as far as crashes go.

    Question: What kind do you like to run that protect and still allow good grip on bars, movement, etc...

    What is the best place to get them?

    Thanks for the help. I going to go get some ice.

    john

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,071

    Fox Static gloves

    I've been running the Fox Static gloves for about 6 months now, and love them. They have a built-in wrist wrap which gives quite a bit of support. Biggest difference is my wrists aren't as stiff and sore the day after jumping off stuff.

  21. #21

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    126

    where to get Fox static...

    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I've been running the Fox Static gloves for about 6 months now, and love them. They have a built-in wrist wrap which gives quite a bit of support. Biggest difference is my wrists aren't as stiff and sore the day after jumping off stuff.
    Where did you get em'?

    Is the wrist support just neoprene wrap or is there any plastic as well?

    thanks
    john

Similar Threads

  1. wrist pain
    By shwafish in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:58 AM
  2. King hubs - order now !!!!
    By SS Jerry in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 08:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.