Would you still buy a IH Sunday frame?- Mtbr.com
    Look at the time!

Would you still buy a IH Sunday frame?

I might be in the market for a DH (race) bike.
    I've been looking at all the usual suspects (TR450, V10, Glory, Session, Demo etc etc) and I find myself thinking: "Are they really that much better than a Sunday?"

Sure, the top end frames these days come with similar VPP linkage fanciness and are a little bit lighter... then again, they cost a fortune.
    I keep seeing fairly cheap, barely used IHs for sale. Spare parts like bearing kits and derailleur hangers are still available.

Would you say the Sunday frame with a decent shock is still competitive today, or is it just outdated?

WWJD?

(I'm not exactly a newb to MTBs, and I've raced DH before - I've just never owned a purpose built DH race bike)
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Jul 2009
    its not as slack as modern dh bikes, but an angle set can fix that

slap happy
    so long as parts are available and will be for a while, then why not?

i asked the same thing about the el cuervo...it's discontinued and very inexpensive right now, but is still a killer frame. i've been told parts will be around for at least a year or two, so by the time parts are all gone i'll be in the market for a new frame.

imo, do it.
    Consequences dictate our course of action and it doesn't matter what's right. It's only wrong if you get caught.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The sunday is still pretty relevant. Every race I go to, I see 2 or 3 of them in a field of 60. Parts are available from pearce cycles in the UK as well as BETD, also in the UK. Bearing kits are available from RWC in the US. I just rebuilt mine using hardware I picked up from the True Value in town. I threw an angleset in there to slack it out to 63.5*. It's been a great bike for me, mostly because it comes really close to the performance of a supremely expensive bike like the Turner DHR but costs ~$2500-3000 less. That's a lot of upgrades or travel money to be saved.

The biggest problem with them are production flaws and the shock/leverage rate. The Sunday uses a light damping tune so you need a special shock tuned for the frame specifically. Additionally, not all shocks fit. Additionally, the leverage rate is progressive to linear (almost falling), so it has a tendency to blow through travel after the midpoint. I've heard the RC4 is the solution to the problem, but it doesn't quite fit in the frame and needs some modification to be done right.

I've tried selling mine for $650 but had no takers. That's $650 for what was two years ago a world beating frame...now I think I'm keeping it and putting a different/tuned shock on there. I don't have a lot of cash to throw around, but an RC4 is cheaper than a complete new frame no matter what...The sunday is light and strong and can take a beating. Go for it!

mtbr member
    Yes, totally worth it. Just make sure linkage is tight. Or talk the seller down if not as you'll be fixing that yourself and sourcing linkage parts. Importing them from UK ain't cheap.

Super durable frame, great pedaler, jumper, corners well. All around great DH bike!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    buy link kit if its not tight, and slam the angle set in.. and its every bit as good as other DH bikes out now

mtbr member
    Definently worth it. As stated angleset takes care of the front and the bike handles amazing.
    Low, slack, corners and with the wheelpath doesn't hang up on square edge hits.
    Shockwise I have a rock wc coil on mine and will be slapping a air wc rock on there while the coil is off at avalanche.
    Rock wc air should work great they have light valving and ramp uip to resist bottoming I have one on the way.

Build wise mine sat 37.28 I put a dura ace on and a lighter saddle so it should be in the 36lb range same as my Jedi was. They can be built light with dh casings.

My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Glad to Be Alive
    for me ...if you break a seat stay or chain stay the bike is worthless...I would get a newer in production bike from a reputable company
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    true, but if you factor in that you can get a replacement rear triangle from most companies for probably more than $300, and you can get a complete Sunday frame for <$500, what's the point? Every rear triangle is compatible with every front triangle, so it's not like you're missing out, and no rear triangle is better than any other ones (some fronts are US welded from thinner toobs).

It sounds like most major brands either offer crash replacement or manufacturer defect, not warranty replacement when you wreck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    for me ...if you break a seat stay or chain stay the bike is worthless...I would get a newer in production bike from a reputable company
    You've obviously never seen a Sunday up close SMT! The swing link is the weak point as the others have pointed out. Excellent bikes - I'd take one over my M3 ANY day (once you ride a DW link bike you won't go back)!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Stand back
    Seen many broken rear triangles on a Sunday? I know it's had to have happened, but I've never seen/ heard of one. Beefcake!

And I really like my Jedi, but don't know that I am that much happier on it than I was on my Sunday. Especially once I liberated it of the flimsy powder coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love mine. I dont think i would even change the HT angle. i think its right around 40lbs with a pretty solid build.
    I do suspect that it might be a little flexier in the back end than some newer frames.
    a couple years ago sundays were all the rage, now I have had people ask me what it was.
    it seems like a great bike but I havent really seriously tried out many other frames to get a feel for the differences. I used to be on a demo 8 and like the sunday better.

the prices sundays are going for these days, they are a high performance DH bargain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi my name is trent and I'm a proud IH sunday owner...but yeah really see the deals out there, mines 07 and had no complaints except for dhx 5 doesn't seem tto do much and don't let loose too much air either for falling susp. I still thnk it 's fast design and wrks fantastic.

mtbr member
    another possible option is the 7pt. I hopped on one with a fox 40 and it felt pretty dialed. They seem to go for cheaper than sundays.

mtbr member
    How about this?
    http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...p-mtb-frameset

Freight could be a killer, but it is new!

Lots of boys and girls still run Sundays over here in OZ. It's part of the Sam Hill Effect! Plus, Sundays are a good bike

mtbr member
    Won't happen, Sundays are pretty bombproof. I once rode down bootleg with one seatstay pivot bolt missing,all that happened was a little tire rub.

Look at the time!
    thanks everyone, sounds great. I'll start looking around for a frame then!

Quote Originally Posted by macguffin View Post
    How about this?
    http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...p-mtb-frameset

Freight could be a killer, but it is new!

Lots of boys and girls still run Sundays over here in OZ. It's part of the Sam Hill Effect! Plus, Sundays are a good bike

I am in North Queensland, OZ

Very tempting to buy a frame in the US at the moment though, with the Aussie Dollar at over $1.10 US...
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I actually just got my Sunday back from the shop. Took it in to change the stock 12-16 cassette for an 11-34 so I can use it on regular trails too. It's a little heavy to huck around with, but if you aren't trying to leave the ground, it works amazingly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i have been a 7 point rider for 3 years and i bought a new sunday frame last month. what chainstay protector do you use for the sunday and where is it available? lizard skins are not big enough. does some one know where i can get a bearing cover for the 7 point? the cable for the rear derailleur has been rubbing it for years and it damaged the cover. now i don't put the cable inside the small hole because continuous rubbing loosens the link. thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bendik.ph View Post
    i have been a 7 point rider for 3 years and i bought a new sunday frame last month. what chainstay protector do you use for the sunday and where is it available? lizard skins are not big enough. does some one know where i can get a bearing cover for the 7 point? the cable for the rear derailleur has been rubbing it for years and it damaged the cover. now i don't put the cable inside the small hole because continuous rubbing loosens the link. thanks
    Mastic tape from home depot or the fuzzy side of industrial Velcro.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    thanks bullcrew, i will check those out and see which i like better