Would you buy a bike if you haven't test ridden it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Would you buy a bike if you haven't test ridden it?

Hey everyone.

I am in a pickle here...

I will have enough money for a Transition BR next week. I have heard many a great things about 'em...

the thing is, I haven't test ridden one.

What would you do in my case>>>> order one anyway?

Thanks all.

P.S. I know there is a specific "Transition BottleRocket" thread, however, could someone (who is nice about it) please give me a breif explaination(sp?) of how the BR would go for Trail riding/FreeRiding?

Cheers,
    Laurence

P.P.S. This "BR" topic has probably been talked to death already...

FIRE AWAY!

mtbr member
    I'd certainly be hesitant to purchase a bike I had not ridden before hand. Thats just me though.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I bought my last two bikes without test riding them first. But that's just a sad fact of living in the mid atlantic area where the question "do you stock any DH or FR bikes?" is almost always replied to with a confused look as if to ask, "why did you just ask me to take out my penis, Sir?"

Either way I think the most important thing to consider is how the bike fits you, which is completely subjective. When in doubt, go with a medium in case you have to sell it since it's a common size for most people to buy.

But I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything about the Bottlerock other than that I want one.
    EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i've never done that before but with how well tested the new bike's, especially fr nowadays i think its more of a matter of getting comfy with your setup more than liking or disliking your bike...obviousy the shocks make a big deifference but im talkinga bout the geometry... go for it.

Pro Crastinator
    in all honesty, i'd never test ridden any of my bikes before i decided to pull the trigger on any of them. i just buy what want and then adapt......

Now rollin the Big Hit

Yeah....

Most important is to know the sizing, geometry, chanstay length etc....that you prefer.

Last to whips were bought unridden.

I like them both.

John
    Hailing from Reno, NV by way of Vegas...
    Now rockin the Big Hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Equal opportunity meanie
    I'd say no unless you already have a very very good feel for geometry numbers, leverage ratios, axle paths, etc. on a variety of different frames to make a good guess at how it will feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks guys!

I've got a feeling that I'll be getting a BR... w00t!
    all I gotta do is get the moo-lah

again, if anyone has addition information about the BR, please chip in...

mtbr member
    Read all the specs you can get your hands on!
    Last edited by hackchopper; 10-28-2006 at 05:41 PM.

AW_
    locked - time out
    I cannot remember the last time I test rode a bike before purchase. Test rides are kind of useless anyways, unless you can demo it for a few days and dial things in. Everyone sets up their suspension differently, angle of handlebars, whatever. Plus it just takes a while to get a feel for a bike; ten minutes on pavement isn't going to do it. It takes me at least a half an hour to get warmed up on dirt anyways before I really feel "on".

I can generally tell how a bike will fit based on the numbers, so as long as all of the parameters make sense (pivot location, is it known to be a laterally stiff frame, angles), that is all I need.

Although I haven't had a test ride in years, I have never made a bike purchase without enough research to feel confident that it is going to be what I want.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by borry
    Hey everyone.

I am in a pickle here...

I will have enough money for a Transition BR next week. I have heard many a great things about 'em...

the thing is, I haven't test ridden one.

What would you do in my case>>>> order one anyway?

Thanks all.

P.S. I know there is a specific "Transition BottleRocket" thread, however, could someone (who is nice about it) please give me a breif explaination(sp?) of how the BR would go for Trail riding/FreeRiding?

Cheers,
    Laurence

P.P.S. This "BR" topic has probably been talked to death already...

FIRE AWAY!
    my last 6 bikes have been purchased without riding beforehand. no worries on my end.

so long as you feel you know the geometry that will suit you well i dont worry. truth is that unless you can completely demo a bike (ie, not some lame ass parking lot test or even a baby off road sample) you have no idea about the complete pluses and minues of a bike anyway.

not really a noob
    i ordered my gemini with no test ride or any riding on anything like it, and it turned out great.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I agree with AW. Seems like any new bike has a learning curve. If you love the bike before you even ride it, you might be a little blind to its faults, but that's okay! The Bottlerocket is so highly reviewed that I doubt you can go wrong.

No bike is perfect, but a bad test ride might turn you off to a great bike.

I, on the other hand, should have test ridden a few 7point7s before buying the Large by mistake! But that's a sizing issue, and it's my fault, not the bike. Doesn't matter, I am getting a Medium front triangle anyway...

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I cannot remember the last time I test rode a bike before purchase. Test rides are kind of useless anyways, unless you can demo it for a few days and dial things in. Everyone sets up their suspension differently, angle of handlebars, whatever. Plus it just takes a while to get a feel for a bike; ten minutes on pavement isn't going to do it. It takes me at least a half an hour to get warmed up on dirt anyways before I really feel "on".

I can generally tell how a bike will fit based on the numbers, so as long as all of the parameters make sense (pivot location, is it known to be a laterally stiff frame, angles), that is all I need.

Although I haven't had a test ride in years, I have never made a bike purchase without enough research to feel confident that it is going to be what I want.

Bikes Rule
    I will add in for both questions. First, I only buy frames and then build up my bikes. I do not like 99% of complete bike packages plus I work at a bike shop - so I have a slight advantage. Every frame I have ever owned I had researched the geometries, suspension and purchased the correct size. Then each one was built with what I like and parts I know.

Same as with the BR frame. Did the research and decided on a medium. Purchased and built it up with my personal likings for parts. I had a Vagrant built up that I loved, and took the parts off that and built up the BR.

The bike is amazing for all types of riding. Riding in Lincoln Woods, RI, we have some of the nastiest trails with huge drops all over the place. The bike handled everything. Next I took it to Highland which it performed flawlessly. For a bike that has only 5 - 5.5" of rear travel, the bike feels like it has 8". It jumps very well, is very balanced, corners extremely wel and takes the hugh hits. Overall it is my all-purpose bike.

The BR has a super stiff rear end and the build is fairly nice at about 38lbs. Mine came with the Swinger 4-way which to me is very good and adjustable. I would have liked the DHX 5.0, but they were out and this was the only shock available at the time. No complaints on the shock at all. I actually purchased an air version ($99 special from Santa Cruz) to use as a lighter shock for more XC riding in the winter. A swap of the tires and shock and the bike doubles as an XC ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks again everyone.

I know I didn't test ride my bike before I got it (06 sasquatch)... I just visited the place and I remembered about the Sassy, and said "I'll take it".

BTW, I will be getting a small. I am 140lbs, 5'6".

Keep the comments coming, great stuff.

I post too much.
    I just did. Bought a Nemesis Project Secret Agent.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i got my Transition Dirtbag frame without knowing what it feels like... the thing was basically spot on when i rode it for the first time. Just had to make minor stem/handlebar adjustments to make it perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I purchased a medium Bottlerocket without a demo first. I am stoked that I did. It is a little heavy for a trail bike but shines as a Freeride bike with a lively, responsive yet solid feel. The geometry and Balance of the Bottle rocket makes it fun to jump and ride stunts. The BR is a great bike especially when you consider the price point.

Use this space for what?
    Bought my stinky without riding one. It was shipped from Chicago (friend of friend, so that helped)
    '08 Cannondale SystemSIX 4
    '07 Bianchi MUSS - with trick bits
    '04 Kona Stinky - Sold!
    '86 Miele

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bought my Morewwod Shova LT sight unseen and not test riden. I did a lot of homework and checked out the dimnesions and compared them to others. I definitely do not regret getting this bike. It is AWESOME !!!!!!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i never test ride my bikes either. i buy what i want based on geometry and reccomendations. thats what i did with my new izimu and i couldnt be happyer...

bottler ockets are sweet. if you can get your hands on one then do...! i wanted one but got screwed around, so got something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I plan on getting a Rival or Bigfoot next week after a heap of research, and have never sat on any of them. I emailed a dude who has a rival, and he is about the same height and weight and uses it for the same usus i will be, and he has the 20" frame, so im guessing the 20" will also suit me. I only really test rode a few XC bikes when I was first looking for a bike, which were a 23" 06 Alias, a 21" 07 Alias and a 07 19" Talon. The 23" i felt it was too big, felt there was too much weight on my arms from leaning forward too much, and the 19" Talon felt too small when riding up a hill (the front wheel seemed to lift a bit when i was going up pedalling) so elimination said it was the 21" frame, and it felt fine. The was when I was first testing bikes as I say, and I now know enough tht tose bikes are not designed to be taken off jumps, therefore I narrowed it down to the Rival or bigfoot to buy. I feel very confident the 20" will suit me fine, because of the other guy who has a rival said it suited him well, and based on the experiences with the giant bikes, and knowing that reading here people seem to say if you want to jump a bit and do stunts, get a bit smaller frame.

kona-tize me captain
    when i bought my bike, i never really even knew what those measurements meant, i just new stinkys were great bikes. so i jumped on it. im very happy
    get the dam bottle rocket
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    I have never ridden a BottleRocket myself, but as of tomorrow, i will be riding one everyday.

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha....

Portland, OR
    well, I purchased direct (ibex) I hadnt test ridden one yet, but I guess all I can say is ..... IT WAS THE BEST PURCHASE I'VE EVER MADE
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

ride hard take risks
    All the bikes i have owned never test rode 1, out of 7 only 1 bad apple.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    bought my blur 4x with no test ride, love it, bought my giant stp with a test ride and loved it

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ok thats final... I'm definately getting the BR, just need a few weeks.

BTW, I'll be ordering the full kit, can someone please explain in which steps to put the components on the bike?

i.e. #1: put fork on, stem ,then all handlebar components to detrmine steerer tube length... is that right?

everyone's input on building up the bike from frame to complete would be sweet!

Cheers.
    Laurence

BTW, which fork? Domain? I'm on a budget... oh wait im spending over $3000CAD on a bike, no i'm not.. 36van rc2? 66? Travis?, argh... so many damn good froks on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borry

BTW, which fork? Domain? I'm on a budget... oh wait im spending over $3000CAD on a bike, no i'm not.. 36van rc2? 66? Travis?, argh... so many damn good froks on the market.
    I'll be switching back and forth between a 36van and a 36float on my BR. Can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    I bought my BigHit without test riding it. Go for it

Premium Member
    I buy a lot of bikes w/o test ride. A LOT of thought goes into it. I get pretty obsessive about bikes before I pull the trigger and so far it's been smooth sailing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    I'll be switching back and forth between a 36van and a 36float on my BR. Can't go wrong with either.
    I think the Bootlerocket and a Van36 are a great combo. I had to put in a stiffer spring. I also like the new transition dirt jump seat on the Bottlerocket.

mtbr member
    Hard to test ride most 'highend' bikes because demo versions are scarce. I just ordered a Socom without a test ride, having never seen one in person, etc...

Road/XC/Freeride
    Only if I'd had a chance to at least see one and heard good things from people I trust.
    I'm on the Twitter.

Members who have read this thread: 0