Would Outlaws me an upgrade for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Would Outlaws me an upgrade for me?

I have a stock Scott Voltage FR10 with dt swiss fr600 rims and Scott hubs and they are taking a beating and spokes are coming loose left and right (not to mention a few flat spots). I was going to drop $800 on a custom wheel set but heard decent things about the Outlaws. Would these wheels be an upgrade to my current set up and would they last for a couple seasons? I tip the scale at about 230 lbs and am a novice rider so i am not easy on my wheels. Thanks all!

Any difference between the 2010 and the 2011 models? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    FR600s are my rims of choice. The metal is incredibly strong and stiff. Dents are rare when compared to a mavic or a sunringle.

I'll take any hand built wheel over some machine built ones.

Granted, the outlaws are amazing wheels for the price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Stans flows with hope hubs, you can try totaco them but I have had zero success with that. Best wheels I have ever had. You can have them build for about 500.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I really don't want to get new wheels but not very happy with my stock ones. I have heard great things about the FR600s but I am not having such luck. I found 2 dents in the front rim and i run pretty high psi in my tires. My rear spokes are coming loose and un true every ride. I would rather have a custom set built up but trying to build a new AM bike so did not want to drop $600+ on new wheels but may have to.

mtbr member
    The Outlaws are a great wheelset for the price as are the Transition revolution 32's.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

mtbr member
    The outlaws are great wheels for the money. I use them on my trailbike. I've beat the crap out of them for 3 years & never had a loose spoke or a need to true them.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Are the transitions heavier than the outlaws?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Come at me bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu View Post
    Stans flows with hope hubs, you can try totaco them but I have had zero success with that. Best wheels I have ever had. You can have them build for about 500.

you're insane guy.

OP is denting up a much sturdier/stronger rim in a FR600. he would wreck a rim that was originally intended for AM purposes.

J:
    I'm using Alex rims w/ tubes and it's solid. Think Outlaw is the same except Alex is 32 hole and welded. Only thing I've noticed is a very slight jump @ the weld since day one, has not gone out of true in 1.5 years

mtbr member
    Outlaws have been super sturdy for me and I case alot of landings/smack large rocks here in Colorado. I'm 200# without gear on. I would say stay with cheaper wheels until you get a bit smoother and understand how to maintain an expensive set of wheels. No matter what you spend, **** can bend and break if not tensioned right and not checked from time to time...checking spoke tension is key. Buy a tensionometer (they are around $50) and a truing stand ($50) otherwise, it's a matter of time before you just have a more expensive dented/flat wheel. It's not hard to learn so give it a try! Google and youtube can help you there. It won't be long until you can maybe even build your own wheels nice and strong! Good luck!
    This won't hurt a bit...

Glad to Be Alive
    why don't you just buy new halos and spokes and use same hubs???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

EastBaySteez
    The Ebay deals are out there man, just gotta look.

Picked up a set of Gravity Lites for 300 shipped bran new. Cheaper than Outlaws... Much lighter.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6