Would a Marzocchi 66 RC...- Mtbr.com
    Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004

Would a Marzocchi 66 RC...

170 mm be to much for a 2004 Giant AC?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was just in a bike shop yesterday and saw a customers AC with a big White Brothers USD downhill fork, it looked kinda funny. I'm a bit biased though after seeing my friend's AC crack in seven different places when the bike was six months old and he couldn't get it warrantied because they suspected that he'd ridden it hard.

Get the '05 six inch Z1 or All Mountain, they should match the bike better.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Damn, is he a hard rider. I'm currently running a 04 Z150, but just feels like a need a liitle more travel up front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-rider
    Damn, is he a hard rider. I'm currently running a 04 Z150, but just feels like a need a liitle more travel up front.
    Yeah he rode the bike pretty hard. He replaced the AC with a Bullit and had no problems after that.
    Have someone help tune your Z150 for you. I think 6" is enough for anything if it's set up right.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Yeah, the first few times I rode it felt like a pogo stick...felt better after some adjustments and more air.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd have to try your fork in person, but I usually raise the oil level and run no preload or air pressure. That way it's super soft and soaks up all the bumps but cushions the bottom outs from drops. A linear stroke with a sharp progression at the bottom.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Thanks for the input

Rides like wrecking ball
    170 mm be to much for a 2004 Giant AC?
    Definately yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    a mate of mine...

ran an 03' AC3 with an 03' JNR-T with upgraded HSVC cartridges for 2 years untill he just recently got a Scream...

and although the head angle was ranked out a whole lot and the geometry was rather disorientated and the bike was sh!t...you could get away with it (might damage the frame in the end) but id get a new a better frame before putting a 66RC or something like that on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

surf-ride-repeat

Cool-blue Rhythm

I think Twisted summed it up best, but....

...the 04 AC's will even accept a dual crown, I am pretty sure, anyway, I'm not positive it doesn't void the warranty, but I would think a 66 would not be an issue. I'd send a quick email off to Giant to check, or maybe our Pal "Roaming Oregon" will shed some light.

If anything I would think a 6" 66RC would be perfect...the 7 inch might rake ya out more than you'd like.

I have ridden an 04 AC, and I liked the bike a lot, it had a Sherman single crown on the font.

I have a friend who rides the hell out of an 04 AC, and he has been running a dual Sherman Slider from the get go, and he uses a 24 inch rear wheel, so VERY raked out, but he loves it and rides the hell out of it... he's a fairly smooth rider.

He HATES climbing on it, I think he should, at least, try running a 26 in the back as that would/should bring the geometry back to tolerable limits and would help climbing tremendously...imho.

But I'd say the 6 inch 66RC would be a perfect match for an 04 AC.

I "may" actually be getting a 6 inch 66 RC for my Chaparral, we'll see... money's tight, so...meh.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    i've seen one with a 7 inch sherman, and it seemed fine, so i'd go for it
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    its not so much the 170mm travel, but the extreme axel to crown height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    I think Twisted summed it up best, but....

...the 04 AC's will even accept a dual crown, I am pretty sure, anyway, I'm not positive it doesn't void the warranty, but I would think a 66 would not be an issue. I'd send a quick email off to Giant to check, or maybe our Pal "Roaming Oregon" will shed some light.

If anything I would think a 6" 66RC would be perfect...the 7 inch might rake ya out more than you'd like.

I have ridden an 04 AC, and I liked the bike a lot, it had a Sherman single crown on the font.

I have a friend who rides the hell out of an 04 AC, and he has been running a dual Sherman Slider from the get go, and he uses a 24 inch rear wheel, so VERY raked out, but he loves it and rides the hell out of it... he's a fairly smooth rider.

He HATES climbing on it, I think he should, at least, try running a 26 in the back as that would/should bring the geometry back to tolerable limits and would help climbing tremendously...imho.

But I'd say the 6 inch 66RC would be a perfect match for an 04 AC.

I "may" actually be getting a 6 inch 66 RC for my Chaparral, we'll see... money's tight, so...meh.
    He's already got an '04 Z150 on there, so why bother getting the '05 150 66rc when he was just looking for more travel and not looking to jack the front end up.

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    He's already got an '04 Z150 on there, so why bother getting the '05 150 66rc when he was just looking for more travel and not looking to jack the front end up.

Good point... I'd say I think the 66RC will save him weight, maybe almost a whole pound!!!!

I know that's kinda silly....

How 'bout?

Bigger stanchions, beefier crown, the option to run a wider tire?

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Once again thanks for the input, I just rode it hard today for the first time...the Z150 actually held up well...I don't think I'll switch the fork out. I'll eventually get a 66 RC 170mm and put it on a Bullit or something.

mtbr member
    Once again thanks for the input, I just rode it hard today for the first time...the Z150 actually held up well...I don't think I'll switch the fork out. I'll eventually get a 66 RC 170mm and put it on a Bullit or something.
    I've got the 66rc (!50mm) on my AC and its perfect. The 170mm would be to tall for climbing those steep hills, just because the axle to crown lenghts on Marzocchi's are longer the Manitou's etc...

Air-Time
    Attached Images Attached Images

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Air-Time
    I've got the 66rc (!50mm) on my AC and its perfect. The 170mm would be to tall for climbing those steep hills, just because the axle to crown lenghts on Marzocchi's are longer the Manitou's etc...

Air-Time
    that's sassy! sweet ac!

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Air-Time

Air-Time

My ride almost looks the same..even got the e13 DRS. I'll submit a pic later today.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    My ride almost looks the same..even got the e13 DRS. I'll submit a pic later today.
    Well, here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides like wrecking ball
    Well, here she is.
    Keep the Z150 and get it tuned properly. Just a couple psi of boost can help, or I know personally the benefit of switching to heavier weight oil. Going to 10w was an eye-opening [great] experience for me. Much more controlled travel. But first give it a couple extra psi to help the bottom out because that is so easy to experiment with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!