Would like some advice concerning DH bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Would like some advice concerning DH bikes

Hey, I have always ridden a hard tail but recently I rode a friends full suspension so I am looking for one now. I am currently looking at a Iron Horse Sunday, Specialized Demo, Transition Blindside, Specialized Big Hit. I was wondering what your thoughts are on these bikes. I want one by this weekend so I can ride Black Rock
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Might not wanna get a Sunday, with Iron Horse being out of business it is risky if you need anything for the frame although I'd imagine bearings could be had for the linkages and you may be able to score other parts second hand. You plan on riding this up or you just pushing to the top. (not familiar with Black Rock). A full blown DH rig is quite different from the hard tail you're used to so take your time learning how it handles and how to handle it. I've had friends who thought DH meant get lots of travel and point it down and the bike will do the rest, not even close to true. I don't think they expected or enjoy the workout involved in DH. They're all good bikes and it's a hard decision to make between them.

Chubby Chaser
    Sounds like you're trying to make a quick and haste decision because you want to make it for a ride this weekend. I don't know about you but if I'm about to drop $4-6000 on a DH bike I am going to do some lengthy research and check them all out before I make the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looks like you're looking to buy second hand. My advice is dont find one and then buy it the next day. Buying a new bike takes a lot of research and asking around and thinking about the style of riding you will do, I mean it took me four months to decide on a bike and I made the perfect choice and it was my last choice, couldn't be happier with my new SX Trail. Maybe check out a new Specialized Status if your just getting into DH if you do want to buy new, I have heard that they are a ton of fun and they wont break the bank like other rigs will. All the bikes you listed are solid bikes, I have heard nothing but good things about all of them.Just as johnny said it is kind of sketchy buying an iron horse since they are no longer in business. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've been doing some research, I know I want a downhill/ freeride bike. I'm on a budget too, and it's not that big. At most I can spend 1500. I have been looking on pinkbike a lot and a bit on craigslist. I don't know a whole lot about bikes but I have a few friends that are really into biking. I have heard the same thing about the Iron Horse being out of business. Is this a deal breaker? Since I'm on a budget I am limited. When I am looking at a bike I just need to make sure everything is working, no cracks or dents in the frame, all the components are tight and somewhat recently tuned and serviced.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There's a specialized big hit for sale for $600. It's a 2007 with original components, the guy says it has been barely ridden. He is selling cheaper because the fork leaks. A fork leak could be an easy fix right? If it isn't bent or scratched. Is this something worth the money?

Chubby Chaser
    Quote Originally Posted by plumleej View Post
    There's a specialized big hit for sale for $600. It's a 2007 with original components, the guy says it has been barely ridden. He is selling cheaper because the fork leaks. A fork leak could be an easy fix right? If it isn't bent or scratched. Is this something worth the money?
    Take one of your friends who knows bikes and check it out. Just beware of what the sellers claim though, a "barely ridden" bike having a fork leak sounds kinda fishy to me. But for $600 if that's the only problem it could be worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah I know what you're saying about "barely ridden". I'll check it out, it's not really what I want but if I can get it cheap enough I can deal with it until I find something else. What do you all think of Demos? What are the differences between the 7 and 8 and the I and II versions of them?

Moose Member
    demo 7s are 7inch travel, and 8's are 8inch travel.

7's are freeride oriented and 8's are DH oriented.

if you have $1500 i'd stay away from Big Hits. they are really heavy and simple. Its great if you're on a tight budget (like $600-$1000) and are a noob, but it sounds like you know what you want in a bike.

Doesnt black rock have a fair amount of jumps? Big Hits arent good jumpers.

I'd look at a demo over a big hit. It'll be worth the extra cash.

staike
    You can take a spacer out from the Demo 7 shock though and make it have 7,8" travel.

Sounds like a Demo is a great bike for you. Super bike for both beginners and experts. You will be able to find a reasonable priced one if you look and they have lots of dealers so it will not be a problem to get spares if you need anything. G

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I have heard the same thing about the Iron Horse being out of business. Is this a deal breaker?
    It shouldn't be. Lots of people still ride Sundays, myself included. You can get KILLER deals on used Sundays and it's one of the best suspension platforms out there. Sure, you take a risk having difficulty replacing links, but hardware and bearings are still available from places like Pearce Cycles in the UK. There are enough people with Sunday parts that even if you were to find a crack in the front triangle or swingarm, chances are you could find a replacement. If you're going to look at one for sale DEINFETELY look over the bike carefully for cracks on the welds.

For what you'll spend on a used Sunday you most likely won't find a better performing bike.

I liked mine so much that I bought a 6-Point (160mm trailbike designed like the Sunday).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was doing some research on the Big Hits and I think I will stay away from them. Black Rock has a ton of jumps and I don't want to get a new bike and max it out first ride and then want something new. The Iron Horse I like a lot. Here's the components list, I am concerned that the frame was repainted. It could be hiding cracks and dents so I'll have to really look it over. I read somewhere that the Iron Horse paint chipped easily so it could be just be repainted to be repainted. Worst case if I got it and the frame was bad I could get a different frame and keep the components. It's a really good looking bike though. The guy wants 1500 for it.
    -Boxxer World Cup
    -frame is professionally painted neon Orange
    -Fox dhx 5.0
    -Avid codes
    -Sunline bars, stem, and pedals
    -ethirteen chain guide
    -gravity "lite" cranks
    -X9 shifter + deraileur
    -funn seat
    -RaceFace post

mtbr member
    Seems like a good parts spec. I ride an Iron Horse 7point and love it. I have a similar plan, I've been upgrading the components as I wear them out/ outgrow them and when the time comes I'll just upgrade the frame and swap everything over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You ever notice how bikes that are for sale are either "barely ridden" or "lady/girl ridden"? I laugh every time I see that.

mtbr member
    In my own experience, it's going to be damn difficult to find a bike at that price that won't need something replaced.

I'm in Salem and I ride Black Rock. I have a used free ride bike that I was intending on putting up for sale in a few months and I would let it go now, I'll PM you.
    "Let the wheels spin."

Moose Member
    something like this is what I'd recommend:

2007 specialized demo 8II - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix View Post
    You ever notice how bikes that are for sale are either "barely ridden" or "lady/girl ridden"? I laugh every time I see that.
    also, "bike mechanic owned" or "I work in a bike shop"
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    Yes! haha... "professionally maintained"

If I were to ever sell any of my bikes I would say:

"This bike was ridden and used with passion and enthusiasm. I rode it as much as possible and enjoyed it to its fullest. If I ever needed to replace a part or felt like a change, new or near new parts were put on. This bike has helped me progress as a rider and I hope it brings as much joy to the buyer as it did to me. If you want a bike that has proven to be reliable and kept in working order, then this is the bike for you!"

Too bad I will never sell any of my bikes because that is a pretty damn good sales pitch.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    Well, to be fair, almost everyone I know who rides DH either works in a shop or has worked in a shop, or is basically a semi-professional mechanic/mechanical engineer or all of the above.

Professional Troll
    Most DH bikes hardly do get ridden hard. Most people buy them, ride DH once or twice on them and just putz around the neighborhood or xc trails on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Well, to be fair, almost everyone I know who rides DH either works in a shop or has worked in a shop, or is basically a semi-professional mechanic/mechanical engineer or all of the above.
    Totally, my two closet friends who ride with me work in a bike shop. I have not worked in a bike shop. Although if I was younger I would.

The post was more about pointing out that gets said alot and it's humorous, doesn't mean anything more than that.

"Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member

"This bike was ridden and used with passion and enthusiasm. I rode it as much as possible and enjoyed it to its fullest. If I ever needed to replace a part or felt like a change, new or near new parts were put on. This bike has helped me progress as a rider and I hope it brings as much joy to the buyer as it did to me. If you want a bike that has proven to be reliable and kept in working order, then this is the bike for you!"

Too bad I will never sell any of my bikes because that is a pretty damn good sales pitch.
    I love that, it even exemplifies what mtn biking is about.
    "Let the wheels spin."

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    ...Big Hits arent good jumpers...
    LOL! What?

mtbr member
    I will have a Banshee Legend for sale here soon. Killer bike but may be out of your range. I have ssen M6's complete for low $2's....

mtbr member

Not me. I would write " Owned by my grandma who only used it to get groceries on the weekends. Maintained by a professional mechanic. low miles. Like new! don't miss out!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm going to check out that Iron Horse tomorrow. Look over it real good and see if I can get it for a bit cheaper.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I'm going to check out that Iron Horse tomorrow. Look over it real good and see if I can get it for a bit cheaper.
    Good deal. Even if it's been repainted look around the welds for cracks. I've ridden my Sunday for 3 full seasons of regular weekend resort riding. I haven't babied it either. I like this bike so much that even after I retire it (which shouldn't be for quite a while) the frame is going up on a wall somewhere.

If the guy is asking $1,500 and there are no issues with the bike offer him $1,200 in cash and go from there. You won't get a better bike for the money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    have you ever thought of renting demo bikes? that can get you a good feel of what you would buy as the demo bikes have the same setup as if you were buying them from the bike shop. rent a demo bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How much does it cost on average to rent a bike like that? I just go and look at them, make sure everything works and ride it around a bit.