Is it worth it for the hub?- Mtbr.com
    Schmeow Productions

Is it worth it for the hub?

In YOUR OPINION, is it worth it to go all out for a rear hadley, or would it be alright w/ like a ringle or something. i don't think i would need a hadley, but it would be tight.

no flaming please. i haven't made one of these dumbass threads in a while, you're overdue.

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Yes! I just got my 108 and laced it to a DT Swiss 6.1d with DT Comp 2.0/1.8 w/brass nipples and am super stoked.

The fast engagement is super, and the hub is smooth, and has a nice buzz. Very easy to take apart, clean or change axle kit. Takes about 30 seconds to swap an axle. Quality is top notch too.
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    when I showed it to her she said..."Are you serious" refering to the size...

mtbr member
    why do you need a new hub for one? hadleys are great but seems to me that they are mostly bling. my friend rides a hadley, i ride a ringle, we are equally happy(except i paid less)

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    why do you need a new hub for one? hadleys are great but seems to me that they are mostly bling. my friend rides a hadley, i ride a ringle, we are equally happy(except i paid less)
    i need a new hub because i am getting a new *lighter* wheelset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I love my Ringle rear hub! But you have to oil the inner cassette body once a month to insure long life!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    In YOUR OPINION, is it worth it to go all out for a rear hadley, or would it be alright w/ like a ringle or something. i don't think i would need a hadley, but it would be tight.

no flaming please. i haven't made one of these dumbass threads in a while, you're overdue.
    Fast engagement is nice up on ladders and skinnies and stuff... But I don't see it being that beneficial for an urban rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you ride urban, i don't think a hadley is really worth it for urban riding.

pwn3rator
    get a stealth...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Fast engagement is nice up on ladders and skinnies and stuff... But I don't see it being that beneficial for an urban rider.
    not for pedal kicks an ****?

i am leaning more towards the ringle now, or some SS hub.

Schmeow Productions
    ok, now i'm thinking hope bulbs..... sorry for the dumb ass thread, but i really don't know anything about hubs.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    go with the hadleys. don't cheapen your sweet ass bike. if you're gonna go all out, go all out. (i'm just trying to justify the build i have in my head for my next street bike)
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    hadleys are great but seems to me that they are mostly bling.
    "Mostly" bling? IMO it's the opposite, they are one of the best hubs on the market and the bling is just the icing on the cake, "mostly" substance with bling thrown in for good measure. Super fast engagement, very strong, adaptable to different axle sizes, easy to work on.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

high school loser
    go hadleys, dont skimp out now on that sick bike mine, i ride hadleys front and rear and absolutley am in love with them, i would say hadley for shur...
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would not say hope bulbs would be skimping on price. They are some very nice hubs too!
    I have a set on my other bike and they have been great with over a year of abuse and very low maitenance. Not as loud as my Ringle hub but just as precise.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrailfreak
    I would not say hope bulbs would be skimping on price. They are some very nice hubs too!
    I have a set on my other bike and they have been great with over a year of abuse and very low maitenance. Not as loud as my Ringle hub but just as precise.
    My Ringle had super fast engagement and looked great as well. For urban, Id have a hard time justifying the cost of the Hadley. The DT440FR would be another nice choice and less than the Hadley.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Bum Buzzer
    Hadley is barely any more expensive than a Ringle..

I like sets, but its really the rear that matters, nothing is BETTER than a Hadley!! (King, Ringle, DT/Hugi - all on par) - Almost any Front hub is more than 'good enough'

I have had a few ringle hubs (SDB/8, ABBAH) and despite religious oiling, they all KLUNK skipped once in a rare while - I know alot of others with the same experience. (not everybody).

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    I have had a few ringle hubs (SDB/8, ABBAH) and despite religious oiling, they all KLUNK skipped once in a rare while - I know alot of others with the same experience. (not everybody).
    Yeah, I've seen plenty nuke and crack pawls and strip teeth. 10 years ago Ringle made a nice hub, now they're crap.

I say go Hugi, but Hadley is also good.

banned
    My cousin's first pair of BMX cassette hubs did that skip thing. Got bad enough he just bought a King wheelset when my team was sponsored by them.

mtbr member
    Ringle hubs are heavy. Isnt that defeating the purpous?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

El Malo
    There are good hubs out there but getting back to the original question...

the answer is YES, most definitely... and all bling aside.
    Especially if your style depends on precision. You don't wanna go cheap on a rear hub.
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

Members who have read this thread: 0