World Cup OR 40RC2 for Giant Glory beginner\downhiller- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. World Cup OR 40RC2 for Giant Glory beginner\downhiller

Hey guys,

I am starting downhill and don't have too much experience at it (as far as riding goes but everything else in mtb there is to know I'm good). I'm soon buying a Giant Glory 07 which comes stock with a Fox 40RC2 fork. I am just wondering wether I should swap this to a Boxxer World Cup when I get it because I've seen many people (not to mention Giant team riders) running Boxxers (more than the 40's). I know that the Cups' are around half a kilo lighter and I think they both have 1 side air, but what other things are there to know about the choices, and where can money be saved if at all (although as long as changing doesnt cost anything its all good).

Thanks in advance

Michael

Edit: Sorry for placing this in the wrong forum!
    Last edited by ReligiousRavingRider; 10-26-2006 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Wrong place in forum

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    888 World Cup

mtbr member
    yeah, you should just mail the 40 to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have no first hand expieience with either(will be getting a 40 in about 2 weeks though). But from what I hear is that there is a ton of mantainence with the boxxer. I don't know about you, but I would have a hard time spending $1500 on a fork when a $1500 fork is already on the bike, specially for a begginer. If you wanna save half a kilo somewhere, do it in the wheels and tires. First off, it would be more effecitve, and you wouldn't have to rip off a grat fork to do it.

I like air!
    Leave the 40 on there. Its one of the best forks out there. The WC and 888 are right up there but it wouldnt make sense to swap it out.

Glad to Be Alive
    dude....welcome to the forum

ride the Fox 40 and save your cash
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    yea, dont bother swaping in out
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ReligiousRavingRider
    Hey guys,

I am starting downhill and don't have too much experience at it (as far as riding goes but everything else in mtb there is to know I'm good). I'm soon buying a Giant Glory 07 which comes stock with a Fox 40RC2 fork. I am just wondering wether I should swap this to a Boxxer World Cup when I get it because I've seen many people (not to mention Giant team riders) running Boxxers (more than the 40's). I know that the Cups' are around half a kilo lighter and I think they both have 1 side air, but what other things are there to know about the choices, and where can money be saved if at all (although as long as changing doesnt cost anything its all good).

Thanks in advance

Michael

Edit: Sorry for placing this in the wrong forum!

the boxxer is full air.....it rocks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Leave the Fox. It is, from what I've heard, a great fork. Not that a Boxxer isn't, but spending the money for a new fork when the bike comes with one of the best there is dosen't make sense. And remember, just 'cause the pros ride something dosen't mean its the best for YOU.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity addict
    Leave the Fox. It is, from what I've heard, a great fork. Not that a Boxxer isn't, but spending the money for a new fork when the bike comes with one of the best there is dosen't make sense. And remember, just 'cause the pros ride something dosen't mean its the best for YOU.
    well said.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Im super duper cereal... save your moola and stick with the Fox 40RC2. You said it your self if your a beginner, just try it out. if its that bad swap it. there both extreemly nice forks!

mtbr member
    Stick with the Fox 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

I post too much.
    If you're a beginner, you won't even notice the difference anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    if you really want the WC go for it... after all you're the one who will be riding the bike. also, i wouldn't see why your LBS wouldn't switch it out for very little $. that said, either fork would be great and you can't really go wrong either way. although my LBS was insisting that the new boxxers have been holding up better than the 40s have...

just make sure that you keep up on the maintenance for either one and it should keep you happy for a long time. if you can't do that, get a 888.

mtbr member
    My new 07 Glory will be in a few weeks from now. I am leaving the Fox on it. I have raced on Boxers most of my racing career and love the feel of the new Fox 40RC2. All of my old team mates SEI Racing has move to the Fox over the Boxxer and love it too. This is what I am doing to my Glory to save on weight when it comes in.

Taking off all the Race Face parts and selling them. Also I will sale the wheel set too.

Parts going back on. Azonic Outlaws setup tubless with Michelin tires. Ti Spring, Azonic B-52 bars, Thomson Stem and Seat Post. I lighter seat. This should help out about 2 to 3lbs.

Hope this helps out some.

Cecil
    Ride!

mtbr member
    Leave the 40's on, save your cash cause when u start racing u will be having to replace parts here and there all the time!

Members who have read this thread: 0