Working towards a City Approved DJ Park...- Mtbr.com
    HIKE!

Working towards a City Approved DJ Park...

...... well, after a couple months of getting our act together, we just cleared the first hurdle in building a Dirt Jump park on some City Parks land! It looks to be a long haul.

Our Parks Advisory Committe okay'd the general plan, accounting for use of existing parking and bathroom facilities at nearby City Park sites (accessed via short ride along a paved bike path). We now have to come forward with detailed site specific plan, blueprints really.

This will then be run through the City Finance/Legal Committee, then City Planning, then public comment, and finally open City Council. Something like that, whew. We will have questions of liability, flood plain/ drainage, access and limiting access, etc. Bound to be one or two (or more?) citizens that will oppose it. Fun haters, for lack of a better term.

But into the onslaught! Hopefully we can get all the "i" s dotted and "t" s crossed over the next few months and get to digging (with diesel power) to make something.

We are looking to bring up an IMBA designer, or someone like: www.leelikesbikes.com or some such. Don't think we can just draw something in crayon on scrap paper. City Council types don't get "flowy, dude".

So anyone have any hard data, a site designer, any good resources we could make use of? Right now the actual engineering/layout is the urgent need. Other folks out there been through this? Anyone else in the process?

Beyond the stars

This page might be helpful . . .

This looked like some good information to me: http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_...ride_park.html

Glad to Be Alive
    PM WCH or Roamiong Oregon........both are working on blueprints (CAD drawings) for the City of T.O.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

abolisher of A$$holes
    where in the black hills are they building this?? I used to live in Spearfish and most of my family still lives there...I'm assuming this is probably going on in Rapid city...I'll have to stop by and check it out next time I'm back...and someday I'm gonna have to get back and ride in Perry's race he started...although I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked...I hear it's getting pretty big now...not my butt...the race...

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    PM WCH or Roamiong Oregon........both are working on blueprints (CAD drawings) for the City of T.O.
    Not the City of T.O. My project involves the Young Mens Christian Association.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How did you go about first starting this? I want to try and get a skatepark put in the town I live in, if I can get enough people to help me. But I have no idea how to even start.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Not trying to hijack your thread.

HIKE!

We just went to the City Parks Director

Quote Originally Posted by pdhb
    How did you go about first starting this? I want to try and get a skatepark put in the town I live in, if I can get enough people to help me. But I have no idea how to even start.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Not trying to hijack your thread.

We were lucky to have a receptive ear. Look up your City's Parks Dept on your city's website. You can contact the Director and get an appointment with him to get the ball rolling.

Being a couple of mid-30 year old guys that are heading this up helps get taken more seriously. But organize your group, maybe under a YMCA or Church group, not sure on Skating, but we have a mountain bike club and IMBA as our go to info and support.

HIKE!

Yep, Rapid

Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    where in the black hills are they building this?? I used to live in Spearfish and most of my family still lives there...I'm assuming this is probably going on in Rapid city...I'll have to stop by and check it out next time I'm back...and someday I'm gonna have to get back and ride in Perry's race he started...although I'm sure I'll get my butt kicked...I hear it's getting pretty big now...not my butt...the race...

Just decided to get into the 90s now that it is 2006! We are just taking the steps and planning, and moving on a step at a time to make this happen. Do it right, it will be sustainable, fun, and a true treasure to our riding community. That and it'll help drag some of the ATB riders into the future (as the XC weenie-ism is rampant still) and to bring some BMX and DJ/Urban kids out to trail riding as well! Win Win!

HIKE!

yeah, we've been in touch with ....

Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    This looked like some good information to me: http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_...ride_park.html
    Scott at IMBA and Lee McCormick (of www.leelikesbikes.com fame) are both willing to come up (for a fee) to the Hills from Denver, easy trip. We'd have one of them see the site (lots of BIG cottonwood trees we can't and don't want to cut down) and help plan things. It is a big horseshoe bend in a small creek bottom, and has some odd elevation changes to figure out/make the best of, and we can't truck in more dirt (flood plain issues) but can only work with the dirt in place. So we want to maximize the flow, placement etc. and we need site-specific blueprints for all the details. I also know a landscape architect, but that's more golf courses and picnic pavillions, not sure if he's a help, but he's done tons of work with/for our City Government. Ramble ramble...

Members who have read this thread: 0