Working out legs and calves- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Working out legs and calves

Just wanted to see what's y'all favorite exercises to keep legs and calves powerful? Some race pics I see guys with bird legs and others their legs look like tree trunks.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Come at me bro.
    i work out daily...i can NOT touch anything leg related though...

If i do any leg exercises, i cant ride my damn bike...get massive blood pumps in my quads and/or calves that make it almost impossible to ride.

best thing for me, is lots of cardio training, whether it be at the gym or on the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    olympic lifting, jump rope and jogging

mtbr member
    Sprints 3X a week. I do a fair bit of recreational running too. If you can't/won't ride uphill running is a GREAT alternative. It does three things for you: breaks down muscle, hurts, and reminds you how much more enjoyable riding is than running.

-Chris.

moaaar shimz
    I do deadlifts, squats, bulgarian split squats, leg extensions, calve presses using the 45 degree leg press and some abductor work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lunges... by far, the best weight exercise you can do. Add in some calf rises, leg press, squats and leg curls. I keep it light and do fast reps to keep my muscles strong, but work the quick twitch muscles. I also like to run as much as I can for endurance.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by slimpanzee View Post
    Lunges... by far, the best weight exercise you can do.
    Squats are way better of an exercise than lunges. Lunges are great, don't get me wrong, but squats have so much more of an effect on your body than just beefing up your legs. Squats work out somewhere near 70% of your body's muscles. Exposing such a large amount of muscles to stress also stimulates HGH production in your body.

I could go more in depth, but... if you do squats, deadlifts, bench, and some complementary exercises for each muscle group you will be getting all you need.
    Just remember to fuel your body with protein to repair the muscles and carbs to shuttle the protein to your muscles - and also remember that your body needs to rest in order to grow.

banned
    I take steroids.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I usually climb this steep levee 2 times a day four days a week, try to get in 2 miles on road bike, and then hit the gym. I work nights so I pretty much have whole daytime to play around. I'm working on getting my calves bigger. What are some good exercises to make calves bigger? Are yall taking in any supplements?
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

banned
    Take steroids.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Buy a trials bike and learn to ride it. Your legs and core will blow up. And your balance becomes almost scary good.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post

I could go more in depth, but... if you do squats, deadlifts, bench, and some complementary exercises for each muscle group you will be getting all you need.
    ^^ Weight lifting 101. That's all a normal person really needs. Maybe some shoulder/upper back exercises for DH riders to prevent shoulder injury and improve bike control.

It always cracks me up when people try and tell me that dead lifts or squats are "bad for you" for one reason or another. Usually some bullsh*t excuse about it "straining" some random part of you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ustemuf View Post
    Squats are way better of an exercise than lunges. Lunges are great, don't get me wrong, but squats have so much more of an effect on your body than just beefing up your legs. Squats work out somewhere near 70% of your body's muscles. Exposing such a large amount of muscles to stress also stimulates HGH production in your body.

Just remember to fuel your body with protein to repair the muscles and carbs to shuttle the protein to your muscles - and also remember that your body needs to rest in order to grow.
    An olympic lift like a Squat is great for strength but not necessarily good for cycling specific strength. When are you ever pushing down on both pedals while sprinting, climbing, or just pedaling around? You should work legs individually.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Century road rides.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    For specific in the gym training with weights, lunges are about all I do. BUT, jumprope is good for leg speed, calf strength, and cardio. Box jumps will train your legs to be more explosive.

Don't forget the core though. Throw deadlifts, planks, side planks in. Pullups and shoulder work. Think of your body as a whole and just what it needs to do in order to pedal, pull up on the bar, or ride in a crouched position for an extended period of time. Don't overtrain, stretch a lot and possibly add a Yoga day in every week or two to improve flexibility.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    +1 for throwing in some yoga. I hear that Ryan Leech is making a cycling based yoga DVD, may be out already.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    +1 for throwing in some yoga. I hear that Ryan Leech is making a cycling based yoga DVD, may be out already.
    Totally man. It really does help, especially after a painful ride. Just having that little extra bit of flexibility in your body and less tense and sore muscles is like a godsend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    no leg or calve pics?
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    Totally man. It really does help, especially after a painful ride. Just having that little extra bit of flexibility in your body and less tense and sore muscles is like a godsend.
    And, some of those stretches are so intense, focus and calm proper breathing is the only way through it. Great for the soul as well.
    Last edited by curtboroff; 06-14-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bodyboard when their is surf at Drainers..

Off the back...
    Road rides on a singlespeed. Headwinds and hills FTW.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    no leg or calve pics?
    I'd show you mine, but I wouldn't want anyone using pics of my shapely gams for extracurricular activities.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    ^^ Weight lifting 101. That's all a normal person really needs. Maybe some shoulder/upper back exercises for DH riders to prevent shoulder injury and improve bike control.

It always cracks me up when people try and tell me that dead lifts or squats are "bad for you" for one reason or another. Usually some bullsh*t excuse about it "straining" some random part of you.
    I am probably one of those people you talk about with saying squats and deadlifts being bad well maybe. The way I see it is most people go into the gym and will try to do these without training so they try to go balls to the wall with bad form causing their backs to explode. but it is great if you know what you are doing

If you are going to free weights at the gym I would talk to a trainer for a session or two to show you the right form for all the exercises.

brake later, pedal sooner
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    An olympic lift like a Squat is great for strength but not necessarily good for cycling specific strength. When are you ever pushing down on both pedals while sprinting, climbing, or just pedaling around? You should work legs individually.
    Squats are not good for cycling specific strength?? What?

Do you pedal with your hands and arms?

Work out your legs individually? LOL..You gotta be joking right?