Wisconsin Downhill input/opinion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wisconsin Downhill input/opinion

We are volunteering again to help WORS (Wisconsin Off Road Series) with the Subaru Cup downhill race. As you may or may not know the event is being moved from Devils Head Resort to Nordic Mountain Ski Hill in Mount Morris WI. We are looking for some input on a few ideas we are thinking of for the 2007 race.

1. We are thinking of having downhill practice on saturday and racing on sunday.

2.We are wondering if there is enough interest in doing either a d/s, 2X or 4X race. We will only support this if we are allowed to build an actual course (one of the reasons for moving the race was devils head lack of interest and unwillingness to work with WORS)

3. Having a fire and band/dj outside the bar at Nordic on Saturday night.

Please post your thoughts or e-mail me at [email protected] , I know a few of you were there last year and I hope you had a good enough time to come back again.

thanks
    Andy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Put a race in at Marquette Mountain, MI

All those guys know and ride the area + the hill is going to be open 4 days a week with lift access. The course is super good, technical, and fast. Plus, there's 8-10 other DH runs for people to play on as well. There's camping available right in town too for those who can't spring for a room. Should be steller improvements next year!

mtbr member
    Hey Andy,

Practice Saturday/race Sunday would be great, more time to ride. I'd love to see a DS or 2x race on Saturday afternoon.

What's the story on the new location? Similar to Devil's Head? You guys did a great job last year, I'm sure 2007 will be even better.

Chip

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My 2 cents. Go to the owner of Devils Head and give him a good a$$ kicking. Cause u did an outstanding job w/ the DH course last year and now I cant race there any more i honestly dont think u can make a course any better then what u had at Devils Head. If u are able to do a MTX or DS thing, make sure make a real course. Not sum half a$$ DS/MTX course like PAMBA did down here in Peoria. Either make a real MTX course to fit 4 riders or a DS course w/ 2 separate lanes but the same course, not a single course that barley fits 1 person and expect 2 ppl to race on it. Yes, race on Sunday, and have practice on Saturday and even Friday. And yes, have some DJs for a through down session for after the race.

hope that helps,
    Patrick

edit: o ya if any way possible get the dates moved to a 3day weekend, i know several ppl that were not able to go last fall because they could not get work off on friday and it was to far to drive on saturday and make it intime for the race. i also almost was not able to go because it was cutting in2 skool.

Meh.
    I'd definitely like to see a DS/MTX race. That's more my thing. Devil's Head didn't seem to be real accomodating, but you guys did a fine job anyway.

The fire sounds like a grand old time.

If you have one in Marquette, keep one in Wisconsin. WORS is WISCONSIN Off Road Series (NOT Michigan). Michigan is a long haul for those of us in Illinois. Besides, you guys already have a downhill in Marquette.

mtbr member
    here is the story on the new location. i e-mailed them last fall about lift acces mtb and they were interested. i took a drive down there to look around and Don (the man behind wors) was there looking around also. to make the story short and with out getting into all the details behind it, devils head doesn't like bikers being there and nordic wants bikers there.
    the hill will be less vertical than what we had at devils head but we have pretty much free reign as far as what we do to make the course.
    as far as the d/s or mtn-x course, i am only going to do it if we can have a real course.
    the best part about nordic is that biking there is on a trial basis this year and if all goes well the county may be willing to let the hill operator run the lifts more and let us put in more trails for 2008

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Hey Andy, I'd say yes on all accounts. You guys did a great job at Devil's Head the last couple of years and I'm sure you'll come through big time this year with a more friendly location.
    Sombrio, you may not want to bite the hand that feeds. Just like everyone else, PAMBA does the best job they can with the area/people/rules they have to work with and we should be happy to have the stuff that we do.
    Jason Elliott
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I thought this years downhill was pretty sweet for a first time downhill race with no front brakes next year I am hoping to dominate all the races. the xc dh tt all that sh!t is mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    . Sombrio, you may not want to bite the hand that feeds. Just like everyone else, PAMBA does the best job they can with the area/people/rules they have to work with and we should be happy to have the stuff that we do.
    Jason Elliott
    dont get me wrong, i am very greatful that we have a MTX/DS thingy and a DH course. but there are some ppl that need to stay out of designing the course and just leave it to Jermy and Deon.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombrio69
    dont get me wrong, i am very greatful that we have a MTX/DS thingy and a DH course. but there are some ppl that need to stay out of designing the course and just leave it to Jermy and Deon.
    I couldn't agree with you more; and once again this is something that most everybody has to deal with when trying to build. Everyone has an idea of how things should be done and only a handful have the background to know what will work and what won't.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Members who have read this thread: 0