Wire bead or foldable Minions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wire bead or foldable Minions?

For bike park riding?

Look at the time!
    foldable = only available as single ply = lighter but less puncture (pinchflat) resistant.

the foldable version is also only available in 2.35" which (by maxxis standards) is pretty small. If that is wide enough for you, get a foldable front and dual ply wire back tire to save some weight.
    That is, unless you tend to pinch flat front tires in which case you should get dual plys front and back.

There is also a 2.5" wire bead single ply version, which would make a very good front tire imo, but it's only available in Europe for some reason.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

moaaar shimz
    I have a 2.5 single ply with a orange strip and it was dead cheap and bought here in Mexico... weird

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dual ply wire beads, will help minimize pinch flats, and some wheel dings. By bike parks do you mean resort locations such as Northstar, or Whistler, with lift access? If so no need really for single ply foldable tires, if your not huffing it up hill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    By bike parks do you mean resort locations such as Northstar, or Whistler, with lift access?
    Yes, mainly talking about Whistler. Agreed: weight in not an issue when riding a lift to the top.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Magick Mountain
    Yes, mainly talking about Whistler. Agreed: weight in not an issue when riding a lift to the top.
    wire bead for sure then.......also go up a size in tires....2.7's are nice for grip
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    I have a 2.5 single ply with a orange strip and it was dead cheap and bought here in Mexico... weird
    I've seen 2.5 and 2.7 single ply wire bead Minions, I hear they are OEM on some Konas (Stab?).

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I was putting holes, big ones, clean through single ply and their LUST versions last season.

Wire bead 2.5 Minion up front, 2.5 High roller rear worked great.

I have a lot of dead tires that I need to throw away from trying to go light in the bike parks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    foldable = only available as single ply = lighter but less puncture (pinchflat) resistant.
    ==
    The MAXXIX 2.5 UST DH tires are two-ply fordable

They are also a very tough 27tpi

You can run them with tubes if you want

Members who have read this thread: 0