Winter Park or Sol Vista- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Winter Park or Sol Vista

My family just got a house up in tabernash and I'm looking to get back into freeriding. I want to get a season pass at either sol vista or winter park to finish out the year.

I know sol vista has some sick ass trails and silky johnson looks like a lot of fun. The thing is I won't be able to handle the main runs like cougar this summer. Winter park looks like it has more of a park at the base with jumps and stuff where I could get used to launching myself in the air.

What would you guys suggest

Bike Ninja |||
    keystone...

but if you have to pic those two.... yikes. such a close call. I prefer sol vista, but W.P is good too. I have season passes to all three though, so i'm kinda sick of the lack of variety at both sol vista and w.p... keystone never gets old.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    sol vista is my vote. thats a dedicated park. its not as much vert as winter park but better trails i think.
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Glad to Be Alive
    ride both and then decide...talk to the park about using the days ticket as part of the season's park...tell them your choices...they just might help you out with that
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    ride both and then decide...talk to the park about using the days ticket as part of the season's park...tell them your choices...they just might help you out with that
    +1

it really depends on what type of trails you like to ride, so go out and ride them both at least once and then decide..

(although keystone IS worth the drive..)

Slopestyle Rider
    You Keystone morons need to go away. The guy will be in Tabernash... TABERNASH...10 minutes from SV or WP. Why on earth would he drive an hour and a half to go Keystone?

Here's the deal.

Sol Vista = DH
    Winter Park = Freeride

For this late of season and wanting to get back into freeride, WP is where you need to go. You don't need a season pass to ride the jumps at the base or the crankworx stuff. What? WP has crankworx stuff? Hmmm. What in the name of freeride does Keystone have like that? Nothing.

PS. chooofoojoo

You are immune to my Keystone morons comment since we both rock the Mojo Wheels!

Ricky DH
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    You Keystone morons need to go away. The guy will be in Tabernash... TABERNASH...10 minutes from SV or WP. Why on earth would he drive an hour and a half to go Keystone?

Here's the deal.

Sol Vista = DH
    Winter Park = Freeride

For this late of season and wanting to get back into freeride, WP is where you need to go. You don't need a season pass to ride the jumps at the base or the crankworx stuff. What? WP has crankworx stuff? Hmmm. What in the name of freeride does Keystone have like that? Nothing.

PS. chooofoojoo

You are immune to my Keystone morons comment since we both rock the Mojo Wheels!
    What he said!!

mtbr member
    This was my first year ridding other parks in CO and I had a blast at all of them. Would I drive from WP to Keystone? depends on how many days I was ridding. WP is/was kind of small as we all know but still kept me entertained for the day. The crankworx stuff means zip to me and I think 90% of the people would think the same. Sure you can ride by and look at it but most mortals are not going to hit any of it. Keystone is still the best for multi day ridding. Sol Vista was fun and just like others say. Vail was more fun to me than WP or SolVista but being in tabernash it would be far.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MBX5
    The crankworx stuff means zip to me and I think 90% of the people would think the same. Sure you can ride by and look at it but most mortals are not going to hit any of it.
    Agreed... BUT, if he's really into freeride, just riding by that stuff will inspire him to progress... and you aren't gonna get that anywhere else in Colorado. I can, and have ridden all of that stuff and just being around it makes me want to ride and up my game. That, and some fun flow trails sounds perfect for this guy. Just sayin

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    you should keep in mind that the vista is only open fri-sun..

Ricky DH
    Agreed... BUT, if he's really into freeride, just riding by that stuff will inspire him to progress... and you aren't gonna get that anywhere else in Colorado. I can, and have ridden all of that stuff and just being around it makes me want to ride and up my game. That, and some fun flow trails sounds perfect for this guy. Just sayin

Hitting that Dual Slalom after you get off boot camp is freaking awesome too. I hit it on my M1 and was surprised at how fast and flowy I was able to ride it.

Are they going to keep the dual slalom course up for the rest of the season??

percocet pioneer.

Here's the deal.

Sol Vista = DH
    Winter Park = Freeride

PS. chooofoojoo

As if the people from denver and surrounding areas don't drive an hour and a half to bike at keystone?

and I'd call you a winterpark moron if I felt like I needed to freely endorse the place where I worked (and got paid) (if I worked at keystone).

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Are they going to keep the dual slalom course up for the rest of the season??
    Yep. Most of the slopestyle course, too (although a bit dumbed down).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bustanutley
    you should keep in mind that the vista is only open fri-sun..

Right and that'll be pretty much be one of my deciding factors. I'm still trying to find a decent bike around here and I'd like to have it by thursday if I choose sol vista. If I pick winter park I'll have more time.

I'm leaning towards WP now. What's the difference trail wise between sol vista and WP?

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by 1two
    Right and that'll be pretty much be one of my deciding factors. I'm still trying to find a decent bike around here and I'd like to have it by thursday if I choose sol vista. If I pick winter park I'll have more time.

I'm leaning towards WP now. What's the difference trail wise between sol vista and WP?
    wp is more flowy with the exception of mountain goat and sol vista is more like all race courses/single track i guess you could say (not really any berms etc)
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I would easily drive the 1.5 hours to Keystone two-three times a month as it has pretty much everything and save WP and SV for the days when you are pressed for time or just dont feel like hittn the BIG stuff.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    As if the people from denver and surrounding areas don't drive an hour and a half to bike at keystone?

and I'd call you a winterpark moron if I felt like I needed to freely endorse the place where I worked (and got paid) (if I worked at keystone).

Read the original post... He is going to be in Tabernash, which is 10 minutes to SV or WP. He wants to get back into freeriding. So why in the hell would he go to Keystone when he has 2 kick ass places within 10 minutes from his house? The original post is also titled Winter Park or Sol Vista... where does it say Keystone? Anywhere? No.

And I stand by my post that...

WP = Freeride
    Sol Vista = DH

mtbr member
    May 2005
    "What's the difference trail wise between sol vista and WP?"

the difference is.. Sol Vista trails are actually built very well, with tons of flow and speed. Yes.. their blacks have big jumps but their blues are just as fun. they'll be building 4 more trails this year and only one of them is a black.

WinterPark is the lamest, flatest, weakest $hit in CO. not kidding here. they've got lame 2 feet jumps made of wood that a 4 year old can overshoot..! they've got a dh trail that all the pro's raced using their 4 inches bikes.. it's THAT knarly.. (sarcasm)

don't believe me.. just go ride both places for a day and decide for yourself before you pony up for a pass.

P"

Bike Ninja |||

Here's the deal.

Sol Vista = DH
    Winter Park = Freeride

PS. chooofoojoo

Thanks Joel... Considering I also work on your bikes

Considering his location being smack dab in the middle of both WP and SV... ride both. WP does have great freeride, and Sol Vista is like 12 bucks for a half day ticket...
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    "What's the difference trail wise between sol vista and WP?"

the difference is.. Sol Vista trails are actually built very well, with tons of flow and speed. Yes.. their blacks have big jumps but their blues are just as fun. they'll be building 4 more trails this year and only one of them is a black.

WinterPark is the lamest, flatest, weakest $hit in CO. not kidding here. they've got lame 2 feet jumps made of wood that a 4 year old can overshoot..! they've got a dh trail that all the pro's raced using their 4 inches bikes.. it's THAT knarly.. (sarcasm)

don't believe me.. just go ride both places for a day and decide for yourself before you pony up for a pass.

P"
    Well this post is a bunch of crap. Go to Whistler and ride what most people see in videos(a-line stuff) and want to ride.... think you need a 8" DH bike? Not sure when you last went to WP but the tables on boulevard to me blow Keystones away. Mountain Goat minus the uphill is a blast and on a full DH rig it is even better. As said many times they need to have more trails but if and when they add say 5 more trails this long standing Keystone VS Winter Park will be old news.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Such tough decisions....parents got a new house in vacation home land.....what new bike to get by thursday.....where to get a season pass for the remainder of the season?.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfan
    Such tough decisions....parents got a new house in vacation home land.....what new bike to get by thursday.....where to get a season pass for the remainder of the season?.....
    I'm paying for everything from the bike to the pass. So i don't see what the eye roll is for

Sure I'm lucky to have parents that can afford a second house but it's not like I'm taking it for granted. I'm trying to take advantage of it as much as possible

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Read the original post... He is going to be in Tabernash, which is 10 minutes to SV or WP. He wants to get back into freeriding. So why in the hell would he go to Keystone when he has 2 kick ass places within 10 minutes from his house? The original post is also titled Winter Park or Sol Vista... where does it say Keystone? Anywhere? No.

And I stand by my post that...

WP = Freeride
    Sol Vista = DH
    You are funny!! And hyou are correct!!! hahaha!

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1two
    I'm paying for everything from the bike to the pass. So i don't see what the eye roll is for

Sure I'm lucky to have parents that can afford a second house but it's not like I'm taking it for granted. I'm trying to take advantage of it as much as possible

I would be living the same place whether or not I was in my moms basement. Do work on the house to pay for rent, any money I earn working is pure fun money. Who gives a **** what people think, it's a good life.

Members who have read this thread: 0