WINNING!!! New ride for 2011- Mtbr.com
    Rider, Builder, Dreamer

WINNING!!! New ride for 2011

So I bought a 2007 Trek Session 77 over the summer and the geometry wasn't working for me. So I decided I needed something new and shiny...............

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850043.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850044.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850045.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850046.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850047.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850048.jpg

WINNING!!!  New ride for 2011-ss850050.jpg

Finally got bars and grips today. Soooo stoked! In the past I rushed with building bikes, but I took my time on this one and didn't short-change myself. The result: a sweet ride I'm super stoked on, without any parts I don't really want to have. Full build:

2010 Jamis Bam w/ DHX-5
    2009 Totem coil, medium spring
    2010 SAINT hubs laced to Mavic 729s
    2011 Avid CODE R 203 f/r
    2010 X-9 medium cage, X-7 shifter, 11-31 cassette, PG 971 chain
    Hussafelt Cranks
    Azonic 420 flats
    Blackspire guide & bash
    Syncros seatpost
    WTB Pure-V saddle
    Truvativ Holzfeller stem 50mm
    RaceFace Atlas FR bars, 780mm, 1/2 inch rise
    RaceFace Strafe grips
    Kenda Nevegal tires, 2.35 rear, 2.5 front.

Took it out just to play around on campus today. Mostly XC trails here, and everything is still sloppy and nasty. I will probably throw the "firm" coil into the Totem, and pick up a 500 or 550# x 3.25 coil for the rear. WAHOO!!!
    Go ride your bike.

Pivotal figure
    Didn't stay new and shiny for very long
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Looks good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm sorry I think it's horrible! Looks like it was designed by a blind cat..

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Either you're April Foolin, or a grumpy SOB who wants to share aforementioned grumpiness......

But I like it, so who cares eh?
    Go ride your bike.

Glad to Be Alive

sweet congrats
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

GAME ON!
    interesting tubing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It looks like a ladder! Just sayin

meow meow
    people hate but thats one of my favorite frames ever. im a jamis fanboi i suppose though...

biking is fun
    your bike looks pregnant

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is it broken?

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Nice build man.

Are you the original owner of the frame? I only ask because I've seen a few of these frames crack and usually companies will only work with you if you're the original owner and didn't purchase it second hand.

Also, if you find your rear tire hitting the seat/seat tube at full travel, it's not just your frame. Most of the Bam's will do it. If this happens, just try cranking up the HSC. That should help.

Best of luck and ride the hell out of it!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I guess I forgot that the PinkBike-isms are starting to take hold on here....I'm just curious to know why all the hate. I'm not getting defensive, there are just some comments I might expect out of a 12-year-old.

Yes, I am well aware of Jamis' chainstay problem. I took that into full consideration when looking at frames. This bike is brand new. The first time it was ridden was yesterday when I finally got the bars on. No Mr. Troll with only 1 post, it is most certainly not broken.

Yes, I am well aware that this is not a Canfield or Carbon V-10 or anything crazy like that. However I am a college student who is paying for his own education, so funding is pretty tight. This build is a result of months of careful spending and constantly watching the classifieds and online stores to snap up a smoking deal.

SMT:

That Intense looks purdy! Wahoo!

Dougie:

Thanks for the tip. I actually first rode the Bam when my friends and I rented at Diablo last spring. I experienced the saddle buzz a couple times, and was able to lift the seatpost a bit and slide the saddle forward on the rails to fix the problem.

I bought this frame new off a kid who got it as a replacement for his broken one. He has rich parents who want the best for their dear boy, so he was getting a new Yeti 303 for Christmas and was therefore selling this. If it breaks I probably won't be able to get it warranted, but I figured it was worth the risk considering the deal I got.
    Go ride your bike.

If you think you can
    Dude it looks bad ass. I've always liked those frames. Good job on working hard for it. You deserve it, that **** ain't easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    did it come pre-broken or does that come later on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    of the two frames that the rich kid had, why did you buy the one he already broke?

meow meow
    why post just to **** on this kids bike? all these haters probably dont have a bike even half as nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was just screwing around. Its actually a nice ride. But my bike has BIG SHAWKS on it for going REALLY FASTZ over BIG RAWKZZ. Its 0.51 times as nice

enjoys skidding
    Looks like a pretty solid build man - should last you a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Shred that ride! Looks like you already had a blast on it. I would..

i be lurkin
    watch out for that frame... prone to breaking. it looks cool though!
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by doesyourchainhanglow
    watch out for that frame... prone to breaking. it looks cool though!
    Yup...I know about the reputation of these frames. I figured for the price I was getting it was worth the gamble. I'll be checking it over religiously once I start riding. Despite what anyone may say, a frame will NOT "just break." There's always a sign, you just need to see it.

For now, it's a ride that feels great. I still haven't had time to really rail on the thing, but preliminary testing )small downhills, multiple stair sets, jumps, etc) have given me an idea of how to set it up.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If the bike feels good and you like it then who cares what else is said. I ride Konas and I think we all know they will explode if you look at them wrong...Or at least I have been told by all the cool kids.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just ride the hell out of it. If anything happens, Jamis has great customer service. Most people who rag on Jamis see one or two cracked Jamis frames (not in real life but on the internet, and probably by some fatass hack) and immediately start talking **** just because its a Jamis, but I have beat the **** out of mine for 2 years and no cracks, nothin. I love my Jamis!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer

Review and ride video

So I've had the Jamis together for around 5 months now and it's time that I wrote up a review. I'm coming from a 2007 Trek Session 77, which was their 7" freeride rig before they switched to the ABP/FullFloater design. I decided to go with the Jamis frame because I had ridden one at Diablo and just felt really natural on it.

I am 22 years old, 5'10 and 175-180 geared up.

First I'll start with the frame. It's a medium 2010 Jamis Bam with a Fox DHX-5 rear shock. I have the 450# spring and have the piggyback cranked up around 200 PSI. This gives me some pretty satisfactory small-bumb compliance and plenty of ramp-up toward the end of the stroke. Some people have complained about buzzing their saddle or seat tube on big hits, but it's only happened to me once so far while doing some urban shenanigans. I feel like I am still getting plenty of travel. Finally, the rear suspension feels way more effective on the Jamis than I could ever get it to be on the Session. In both cases the shock was a DHX-5, so that's not a variable here.

The head angle is a degree less than that of the Session 77, sitting in at 65*. This is slack enough for me, since I'm not looking to race Champery any time soon. I was able to ride some of the double diamonds at Plattekill (those of you on the East Coast should know what that means) with the Session, but it wasn't fun or fast. Additionally, the bottom bracket is about an inch lower on the Jamis that it was on the Trek. This really helps inspire confidence on the steep chunky stuff.

I have the 09 Totem coil up front with the medium spring. I run high-speed compression almost maxed out. I crank up low-speed for smooth runs and jump lines and open it up for techy chunky runs. I took the floodgate of the Mission Control out, giving the fork an even plusher feel than it came with in the first place. I absolutely love the Totem and it balances with the rear suspension incredibly well. I have a firm coil for the fork and might try that out some time next season.

So far I love my brakes, 2011 Avid Code Rs. They have great modulation and power. Not much adjustment, but they're super easy to set up.

I'm running SAINT Hubs laced to Mavic 729s. I put a couple small dents in the rims from hitting rocks at the Gravity East course at the Windham World Cup, but they're still super true. The hubs themselves are what one expects from Shimano's higher end hubs.

So far I love this bike. It's not a dream build, but there is not a single aspect that I'm unhappy with. It's fun in the rocks, fun in the air, and fun on the fast flowy stuff.

And on that note, check out the video below. The first minute is nothing to do with me. But I'm leading, starting at 1:10. Pay close attention at the end; it's amusing

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CY8nlRayC04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brownie points to whoever can tell why things went down the way they did at the end.
    Go ride your bike.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    Brownie points to whoever can tell why things went down the way they did at the end.
    U hit a tree?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sambs827 View Post
    I was able to ride some of the double diamonds at Plattekill (those of you on the East Coast should know what that means)
    there are no "double diamonds" at platty

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    there are no "double diamonds" at platty

No? My bad then.....I thought I remembered there being a few. Oh well...
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    so what happened at the end of that vid?
    Looks like you just hit a tree while the guy video taping over shot the landing by a mile

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    did the frame break?

just playing

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    That jump isn't a built jump, but a mound of dirt from an uprooted tree back in the day. It's kinda steep to be a jump but if you soak it up you can gap to the bank that's about 15 feet out and 4-5 feet down. Coming into it is an off-camber turn that in previous runs we had drifted lost some speed on. It had been wet earlier in the day, and everything was getting faster later in the day.

In this run our tires hooked up all the way through the turn so we had extra speed coming into it. Since we didn't realize our extra speed, neither of us had the sense to compensate for the extra speed and we both got boosted off it. Nothin like 8 feet to flat straight into a turn....
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    congrats on the new bike. Enjoy it ! Remember like dirt bikes, its 20 % bike and 80 % rider........ have fun.......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. Nice bike have fun with it!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheloco View Post
    Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have. Nice bike have fun with it!!!!
    Is good quote.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

OMG!
    sick ride bro. congrats!

Members who have read this thread: 0