will a v10 pedal better than a free- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

will a v10 pedal better than a free

i have been thinking about buying a dh free setup with a 40 and that kinda **** but i ride dowhill 95 percent of the time will the ten be better for racing and just pedalibility

konastab805
    Aug 2005
    The v10 pedels extreamly well, and its going to be my next race rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It wont pedal BETTER than a free, but it does pedal better than my 6 inch bighit
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

ride hard take risks
    If your spending 95% of your time racing DH you will be happy with a V10.

By the way how old are you, what type of DH will you be racing & how long have you been racing
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The V 10 wont pedal better than the VP Free, but if you are truely doing DH more than 95% of the time, you love the V 10, cause it pedals better then every other DH bike, imo

BUT
    if you answer to more than one of these question, get a VP Free

- you want to retain jumping capabilities

- You ride dh, not race it

- you weigh under 150 lbs
    Pinning it Nor Cal style

Elitest thrill junkie
    The VP10 will make for a heavier bike. How do YOU think a heavier bike will be for riding uphill or just trying to accelerate?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Equal opportunity meanie
    The V10 is not significantly heavier I don't think.

The Sunday pedals slightly better.

The VP free has a pretty high standover and much higher center of mass so it doesn't like to lean as much.

I think the question you need to ask is: Is most of your DH riding high speed with drifting corners and lots of square edged hits you need to take at high speed or low speed technical stuff - what that comes down to is will you need to lean or steer, plow or skip?

mtbr member

VpFree vs V10

I have had them both and now only have the Free it is a much better climber and gets moving fast.... even if I was going to race it, I would go with the free the v10 if just to heavy.....

rollin
    i used to own a vpfree, got rid of the frame and put all my old parts on a new v10 frame. the v10 frame is one pound heavier. as for pedalling, the v10 pedals just as good (going downhill) as the vpfree, maybe even a little better. the v10 doesn't stiffen up as much, so it remains more active when pedalling, not skipping. the biggest difference between the two is handling.
    here's the advantages:

v10:
    more active suspension, better small bump compliance
    better cornering, rails turns
    better fit for dh, shorter cockpit
    shorter wheelbase
    laterally stiffer
    lower BB, more stable, better corners.

vpfree:
    longer cockpit, more comfortable on climbs
    better climbing geometry
    continuous seat tube, full seat post extension/slamming
    1 pound lighter
    front deraileur compatable, granny gear for climbing - this is the deal maker/breaker.

basically, the v10 pedals just as good going down, but it's designed for pure dh, where as the vpfree makes some comprimises for a more comfortable, easier climb going up. both are great bikes, it just depends on what type of riding you want the bike for.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedracin
    even if I was going to race it, I would go with the free the v10 if just to heavy.....
    How is a 39-40lb 10inch travel DH bike to heavy to race.

The V10 has a lower BB and shorter wheel base. It's 100% def. a better Race rig.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

-> SickLines.com <-
    sriracha has it dialed in,

I'd def go with the V10 for racing

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    i used to own a creaking rocking chair, got rid of the frame and put all my old parts on a new rocking chair. the Vigina 10 frame is one pound looser. as for pedalling, the Vigina10 pedals just as good (going downhill) as the creaking rocking chair, maybe even a little better. the vigina 10 doesn't Stiffen up as much, so it remains more loose when throtling, not skipping. the biggest difference between the two is that silky smooth feeling I get from the V10.
    Wow Sriracha!!!

You better not go surfing!! The wheel stand is calling!!
    Hardtail downhill

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    Wow Sriracha!!!

You better not go surfing!! The wheel stand is calling!!

aahahaha!!! quality edit.
    yes, they both creak equally.
    i'm going surfing. i'll build your wheel later...when i'm good and motivated.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    One thing to keep in mind with the v10 is, in my case, you will go through a lot of rear rims. I have the DT swiss, and while this could be a softer rim than a mavic, I have about 5 flat spots on the rims from teh first 3 days riding my bike. I weigh 160lbs and am a fairly fluid rider. In my opinion, the amount of sag causes the rear wheel to stick to the ground a lot of teh time causing flat spots in teh rim. Again, this could be due the teh fact I am running DT Swiss rims. Any mavic users on V10's care to add there 2 cents. I just wanted to bring up the notion of the rear wheel. BTW, I love my V10. It is teh best DH bike I have ever owned (Yeti DH6, Intense M1, and Turner DHR)

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG
    One thing to keep in mind with the v10 is, in my case, you will go through a lot of rear rims. I have the DT swiss, and while this could be a softer rim than a mavic, I have about 5 flat spots on the rims from teh first 3 days riding my bike. I weigh 160lbs and am a fairly fluid rider. In my opinion, the amount of sag causes the rear wheel to stick to the ground a lot of teh time causing flat spots in teh rim. Again, this could be due the teh fact I am running DT Swiss rims. Any mavic users on V10's care to add there 2 cents. I just wanted to bring up the notion of the rear wheel. BTW, I love my V10. It is teh best DH bike I have ever owned (Yeti DH6, Intense M1, and Turner DHR)
    I just noticed I spelled "the" incorrectly every time in my response.

My arm hurts a little
    I just noticed I spelled "the" incorrectly every time in my response.
    Hitting the bong a little heavy today I see
    Hardtail downhill

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    sriracha has it dialed in,

I'd def go with the V10 for racing
    Nik said it very well....I think you answered your question right when you said 95% of the time doing DH......that is the V-10 4sure
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dude, I just got a V-10 to replace my Sgs about a month ago, and I can tell you, it pedals as well as a bullit, though it is a little heavier than the VP-free...if you are wanting a dj/trail/freeride rig, you may be better off going with the VP-free, but if you want to do big hucks, feel confident over any obstacles and have a great race rig that is scary fast, go with the V-10, I'm glad I did...

no big deal
    one more vote on the v10. had mine for about a year and a half now and love it. I haven't had any issues with flat spotting the rear wheel, I'm running AtomLab DHR's with Hadleys. My fat arse is around 190 with all my pads, pounding through some pretty gnarly rock sections. hell, I broke my hip riding the thing and the bike didn't even get a scratch.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have an older V10 and used to run trailpimps. I had on with a spotty built and it actually was trashed in one hour. I now run 321's with a good build and have no issues with the Mavs. I have never ridden a VPFree but my V10 is a strictly race bike. I try and freeride it once and a while, and it just sucks! I don't meen bike park freeriding.

Members who have read this thread: 0