hey I was just woundering if these bikes are any good at climbing

Giant DH Comp
    Norco Shore
    Specialized Demo 8 and 9
    Santa Cruz Vp Free

mtbr member
    Giant DH Comp= No.
    Norco Shore= Fsr? If so, decent.
    Specialized Demo 8 and 9= Ehh, mines not too bad.
    Santa Cruz Vp Free= Great. Best of the four.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

gnar, brah
    None of those climb that well...

The Free will climb the best of all of them, but you'll still be busting a lung when it is built up with freeride components.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i hears that the DH comp isn't to bad of a climber and also that the 2006 model will have the maestro design. Are there any other bikes that are good for climbs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    None of those climb that well...

The Free will climb the best of all of them, but you'll still be busting a lung when it is built up with freeride components.
    besides those four bikes are there any others that are good climbers

Cynical Bystander
    They'll all climb, it's just how steep of a climb and how hard you want to work that comes into the picture.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

gnar, brah
    Good climbing freeride bikes aren't very common.

The Gemini climbs well in my experience, as would the Yeti AS-X.

The Transition Preston is another good choice. Specialized Enduro SX-Trail too.
    Trestle Bike Park

rollin
    vpfree climbs great, better than single pivot and better than a demo, it's just a matter of bike weight.

Glad to Be Alive
    Santa Cruz Vp Free
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    my new uzzi slx climbs really well for a 40 pound rig!
    they call you a gansta if you spend big bucks on a pair of 20" chromes. well shlt.... i got a pair of 26's!

Specialized SX Trail. A little less travel, but if you're going to be your own shuttle you have to make some compromises somewhere. You can't have an ideal big hit bike or dedicated DH machine and have it climb well. However, it is possible to do a lot more climbing on big bikes than most people do.

mtbr member
    i have a giant dh and it climbs much better than i expected it to... very stable in the back

mtbr member
    I have been trying to decided between a SC VP Free and an Intense Uzzi so I have been riding them both a lot in the last few weeks. The VP Free is going to be the best climber out of all the bikes listed. Santa Cruz considers it an all mountain bike due to the headtube angle, bb height etc. Santa Cruz's website lists the VP Free as an all mountain bike even with it's 215mm travel. It all depends what fork and kit you choose because climbing with a 888 or a 40 would be kind of tough but it's been done.

I rode a Demo 9 DH last year for a couple runs and it's a 50 pound beast that flew down but I would not even want to try to ride it back up. I thought the feel of the FSR was pretty plush until I started riding bikes with VPP (virtual pivot point) and I must say that I am totally sold on it.

After many months of research I finally decided on the Intense Uzzi VPX over the SC VP Free. I honestly think the Uzzi's VPP set-up feels better than the VP Free and I think it feels more like a freeride frame compared to the VP Free which feels more like a long travel Blur. It's weird to me that a lot of people have been using Sherman Breakout Plus' on the Uzzi (I love Sherman's, I have a Firefly on my all mountain bike) because it seems a Fox 40RC2 or a 888RC would rock. I am going to use a Fox 40RC2 if I can afford it or a 888RC for sure.

Anyways out of your list the VP Free can be set up the best to climb (BTW I have never rode the Giant DH though so I have no idea what that bike feels like).

NoXx

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Good Choice
    Life is to short... get out and ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx
    I am going to use a Fox 40RC2 if I can afford it or a 888RC for sure.
    NoXx
    I have an 888 with a Go-Ride flat crown on my new Uzzi and it workd great. I would recommend sticking with some very low rise bars on this set-up though. The front end is pretty high if you want to do some climbing.

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Foes Fly Climbs

I've been doing 1.5 -2.5 XC rides on my Foes Fly with 66RC's and it climbs fine. Forks bob a little if you stand but no bob in the rear.

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Santa Cruz Vp Free
    Yessss! Can I gettt uh Halleuiah!? I willl uh Test-uh-fy! Praise Santa Cruz! Halleuiah!

..........the VP-Free climbs great. VPP is the real deal as far as efficient suspension goes.

It just depends how much you weigh the sucka down w/ componentry and how tall of a fork you stick on it.

Don't be sticking an 8" 888 w/ Saint stuff on it and expect to climb well.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Yessss! Can I gettt uh Halleuiah!? I willl uh Test-uh-fy! Praise Santa Cruz! Halleuiah!

..........the VP-Free climbs great. VPP is the real deal as far as efficient suspension goes.

It just depends how much you weigh the sucka down w/ componentry and how tall of a fork you stick on it.

Don't be sticking an 8" 888 w/ Saint stuff on it and expect to climb well.
    still will if you run tubeless
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I have an 888 with a Go-Ride flat crown on my new Uzzi and it workd great. I would recommend sticking with some very low rise bars on this set-up though. The front end is pretty high if you want to do some climbing.

7 or 8 inch 888 on your Uzzi?
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    7 or 8 inch 888 on your Uzzi?
    8 inch

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    8 inch

alls about the crowns baby

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    still will if you run tubeless
    Boy you're up early.

Tubeless will help the weight and I suppose traction too (I need to get mine converted), but trying to climb w/ a big tall 8" inch fork would blow whale.

I won't go any taller than my Supa T for trail riding/climbing on the VPF. Anything taller would suck.

Now, if I was living out in the Land of Pirates where all things go down not up........then I would have an 8" fork on it for schnitzel.

Glad to Be Alive
    Boy you're up early.

Tubeless will help the weight and I suppose traction too (I need to get mine converted), but trying to climb w/ a big tall 8" inch fork would blow whale.

I won't go any taller than my Supa T for trail riding/climbing on the VPF. Anything taller would suck.

Now, if I was living out in the Land of Pirates where all things go down not up........then I would have an 8" fork on it for schnitzel.

work.....................

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx
    I have been trying to decided between a SC VP Free and an Intense Uzzi so I have been riding them both a lot in the last few weeks. The VP Free is going to be the best climber out of all the bikes listed. Santa Cruz considers it an all mountain bike due to the headtube angle, bb height etc. Santa Cruz's website lists the VP Free as an all mountain bike even with it's 215mm travel. It all depends what fork and kit you choose because climbing with a 888 or a 40 would be kind of tough but it's been done.

I rode a Demo 9 DH last year for a couple runs and it's a 50 pound beast that flew down but I would not even want to try to ride it back up. I thought the feel of the FSR was pretty plush until I started riding bikes with VPP (virtual pivot point) and I must say that I am totally sold on it.

After many months of research I finally decided on the Intense Uzzi VPX over the SC VP Free. I honestly think the Uzzi's VPP set-up feels better than the VP Free and I think it feels more like a freeride frame compared to the VP Free which feels more like a long travel Blur. It's weird to me that a lot of people have been using Sherman Breakout Plus' on the Uzzi (I love Sherman's, I have a Firefly on my all mountain bike) because it seems a Fox 40RC2 or a 888RC would rock. I am going to use a Fox 40RC2 if I can afford it or a 888RC for sure.

Anyways out of your list the VP Free can be set up the best to climb (BTW I have never rode the Giant DH though so I have no idea what that bike feels like).

NoXx

get a VP FREE and put a DH 40 on it, so you can put the dh40 in 6" mode to climb, 8" to bomb.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    get a VP FREE and put a DH 40 on it, so you can put the dh40 in 6" mode to climb, 8" to bomb.
    Doesn't the 40 require internal spacers to adjust travel...
    Trestle Bike Park