Will Diablo be open this Saturday? (9/16)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Will Diablo be open this Saturday? (9/16)?

And if it is... will it be safe?? Too much rain?

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    And if it is... will it be safe?? Too much rain?
    barring some unforseen act of god, yes, it will be open. the mtn drains pretty well, and there's lots of nice pointy rocks to play on to stay out of the mud...

whether Dominion and Alpine will be open, who knows. It's been raining here but not HARD rain, so maybe they might be open by sunday? not sure...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I will be on more of an AM bike so.....

I don't particularly care if Dominion is open (the one with the 80fr high DJ's right )

I will be bummed if Alpine is closed though... it is one of the only blue square trails on the mountain right???

For someone who is a definite DH novice (this sill be my forst ever lift accessed trip) but who has a fair amount of experience riding technical trails, is there going to be anything that I can ride? I am going to be on a Jamis XLT (5" front and rear vanilla front with a stiff spring and Float R rear) with DH tires(BG/ Nevegal Stick-E DH 2.5's) and FR rims, disc brakes, a chainguide w/ single ring and generally overbuilt parts.

I had considered renting a bike, but with the money I have spent to get this thing to more of a FR build, it would be a shame.

What are there for "easier" trails to warm up on?
    Are there trails w/o huge DJs and drops?
    Will the wood stunts (i.e. the skinnies on Careless Whisper) be too dangerous to ride after the rains?
    Are there trails that are less "whistler" influenced that rely more on riding techie rock and root sections and less dependent on going huge off drops?

Thanks for you help if you do respond... I have been geting very excited about this trip for months, and at this point cannot wait.

New project, TBA shortly
    honestly, there's everything from Squares to Double Diamonds. the squares are mostly doable by anybody that's relatively competant on a mtn bike, and then it goes up from there. and Alpine is now a diamond (double?) due to the wall rides and a few tables/doubles. there's a trail next to Alpine (DomBoo?) that is the square down instead.

you should be fine on the Jamis, although I hear they rent amazing awesome IH bikes there...

Three sheets to the wind
    They will be open but the weather may be a factor, with two days of rain it will definately be pretty greasy and deep. I'm going to go on Sunday instead, give it a chance to dry out a little...

FROM NOAA:
    Tonight: A chance of showers. Areas of fog after 3am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. East wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday: A chance of showers before 8am. Areas of fog before 8am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a high near 73. North wind between 3 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 55. Calm wind.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Calm wind becoming northwest between 4 and 7 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 54.

New project, TBA shortly
    update - pouring f'ing rain right now (2 hours away). dominion will probably be closed, unless it REALLY dries out fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    if you dont know the mountain take it easy before you learn the trails, especially in the rain..I dont think blue squares fit into what im describing but some trails you will come over a crest and see steeps with "no clear lines" but just rocks scattered between trees. Plenty of times ive found myself on way different terrain than expected before i knew the mountain. diablo doesnt have too many drops and they are very clearly marked.I stay off most wood stunts when wet but it depends on which ones your confotable on. tons of tech rocky stuff. by the end of the day your going to find you probably rode lines you had not planned on or thought you could but stuck clean anyway. goodluck and enjoy it. how far away are you that this is a once in a few months trip?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I went last week for the first time. I asked about the easier stuff and people suggested the XC trails at the top, I just wanted the easiest way down the mountain because I wasn't sure of what I could handle. As long as you take it slow anyone that is reasonably athletic can handle anything except for maybe the larger drops and the skinnies. The big jumps on dominion are no sweat, you can just take it easy on them at first then go faster later.

By the end I was hitting the Dominion/alpine route a lot, my favorite way to get down.

I just used a diamondback FS mountain bike. I beat the living **** out of it.

I'm going again this sunday.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    From the top of the chair, head right across the open area to the woods. Start with OTB, follow to Upper Breakout, then Lower Breakout. You'll run into Alpine but there's a blue next to it, forget the name but it is marked, that you can follow down from there. At the next intersection go to the right, out past the 3 progressively larger wooden drops, follow the trail to the fireroad, to the base. Build up from there and look around, watch out for and avoid trails that are super steep and follow the fall line. Crap Shoot is fun and not too hard as is Tripple Drop and Dirt Merchant. Have fun, wear armor.

Three sheets to the wind
    Well, how was it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

It was fun... Def greasy on saturday morning.

As far as the bike though, the setup was horrible for DH. I had a layback post so the seat was a little tough to get behind. The bars I was using were too low rise (1") and the stem too long (100mm), also the HA was too steep (~68.5 deg). So all that added up to lots of OTB. The first run down I went OTB (it was really wet!) and Jammed my middle finger on a rock... still not sure if it is broken, but I wasn't going to give up. I rode the rest of the day and yesterday the finger was really sore, but no biggie. The wood stuff (especially the natural skinnies) were slick to the point of being hazardous... I didn't ride many of them.

To echo the previous posters definetely wear pads and a full face. ALL THE PADS YOU CAN FIND! First time out there if you have never ridden DH you WILL fall.

Setup recommendations: get a seatpost that allows you to drop the seat all the way down and out of your way. Use a higher rise handlebar than you think you will need, and really slacken out the front w/ a shorter stem and slacker HA (67 deg?)

I will go back, and armed with this knowledge I will change the setup on my bike a lot... I now understand why people want to run a thru-axle fork on steeep rocky stuff... the Vanilla was nice and plush, can take a hit decently, but was squirming alll over the place under my 240lbs.

Highlights: Asylum is awesome, I liked most of the blue square trails, Ripper is the most technical trail I have ever seen.

Members who have read this thread: 0