Wide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B

It seems the frame builders have beaten the rim manufacturers to the punch.
    Lot of companies with 650B DH frames. Not so many rims.
    Syntace makes their MX35 rim in 27.5.
    Any others?
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Light Bicycle Carbon

Best bang for the buck available IMO

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    spank spike

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanerSchnitzel View Post
    spank spike
    Link?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    sorry im a dumb ass. i didnt see you wanted 35mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nox has the Farlow 35mm, Loaded will have a 40mm, Derby has some 40mm. I have the Syntace and they're great, but I really haven't really stressed them as they're on my HT. Enve has the 90/Ten which is 34mm and DT FR570 is 33mm if you're okay with a little less than 35mm. I have the EX471 and they're my current favorites for my Trail bike, so I'd probably go FR570 over the Syntace if I were you. I keep smacking the DT rim running low pressures and the rim has no dents and stays super true. I don' t think I've needed to turn the nipples more than 1/4 turn when I true the wheel. Plus they come with alloy spoke nipples.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fyberoptik View Post
    ...DT FR570 is 33mm...
    That's prob external width. I bought a pair of them to build a backup wheelset for the LB 38s I'll be running and mic'd the EX570's bead hook tip to bead hook tip. The measurement was ~28mm...pretty similar to the Mavic EX823s.

I was doing the same search a while back and decided I really like the Mavic EX729 internal width. Nice tire profile, not too round, not too square. The LB 38s fits the bill for a match to the Mavic. And, the LBs were the only rims w/ the sidewalls thicker than 3mm. Derby, older LBs, Nextie were all 2.5mm thick. And, when I ordered my 38mm hoops from LB, I talked Nancy into adding enough carbon to make the rims 500g+, to make the nippler bed thicker. They only managed to do it to 1 rim (509g), the other was 476...still more than advertised, but not nearly like the other. The diff is noticeable in the ERD measurements...one was 4mm more than the published, and one was 5mm more.

mtbr member
    The Spike 35 isn't avail in 27.5 and I should have mentioned that carbon isn't in the budget.

The FR570 has potential.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRage43 View Post
    Light Bicycle Carbon

Best bang for the buck available IMO
    I wouldn't put those on my trail bike let alone a DH bike - riding partner has destroyed two of them already on normal trails. Red Barn and Universal have seen the same thing so good luck with that... you get what you pay for. Derby is a worthy carbon DH rim but twice the price. I wouldn't hesitate to go with Syntace - their stuff is light and bomber.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

9 lives
    My husband had 40mm Derby carbon rims on his Covert (650b) which he used for DH. The rims stood up well.
    He's now put the Derby's on his long travel hard tail also a 650b.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    I wouldn't put those on my trail bike let alone a DH bike - riding partner has destroyed two of them already on normal trails. Red Barn and Universal have seen the same thing so good luck with that... you get what you pay for. Derby is a worthy carbon DH rim but twice the price. I wouldn't hesitate to go with Syntace - their stuff is light and bomber.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I've actually had good luck with the Light Bicycle rims. I used them for a full season on my Enduro bike. I did break one but it was racing through a rock garden on a full out DH course at Angel Fire. Even then, the rim actually lasted two more stages while cracked and even held air (tubeless) for a few days after. I was impressed.
    LB replaced it completely free. Try to get that service from Enve.

All that aside, the budget doesn't allow for carbon, even cheap carbon.

mtbr member
    ^^ That's exactly how my buddy's cracked and didn't notice until he saw the sealant weeping out. It's an inherent property of composite because the fiber weave will still hold the wheel together but the resin matrix is shot = new wheel. The trick is to not use 100% bisA epoxy which is just too brittle - LB has yet to figure that out. I'm sure they will but I'm not willing to be their guinea pig and my buddy's second wheel was not warranted so good luck with any further breaks - LB will give you one and then you're on your own.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Off the back...
    Derby's warranty is single replacement for manufacturer defects, after that, you're paying $195 for a rim. The LB and Nextie warranties are similar, except that their rims cost less than $195 to begin with. Enve [just throwing that in for comparison's sake] has a 5-year warranty, but their crash replacements are 50% of MSRP, so $499.50. Warranties on the most common carbon rims boil down to:
    • wreck it and prove it's the manufacturer's fault, get one free [LB + Nextie + Derby, 1 year; Enve, 5 years]
    • wreck it [your fault] within the first year, get one cheaper than reg price, done [LB]
    • wreck it [your fault] within the first year, tough luck, replace at reg price, done [Nextie]
    • wreck it [your fault] within two years, get one for 60% of retail, done [Derby]
    • wreck it [your fault], get one for 50% of retail, forever [Enve]

Personally, I'll continue to rely on hearsay ["...my buddy knows a guy with those rims and he heard him say they were wicked..."] and anecdotes ["...rims are great for #enduro, cut 30s off my time..."] to make my rim choices, along with whatever leaves more beer money in my pocket. As soon as I turn pro I'll ride... whatever my sponsors give me.

mtbr member
    I've recently built a wheelset for a customer using a new version from Yishunbike.
    It's a carbon rim with a Kevlar outer weave. Theoretically it should allow a little more compliance and impact resistance with very little weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Kewl, post a pic! And thanks for the warranty rundown pinkrobe. You wouldn't happen to know what NOX's warranty is would you?

Cheers,

G

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Kewl, post a pic! And thanks for the warranty rundown pinkrobe. You wouldn't happen to know what NOX's warranty is would you?

Cheers,

G
    Nox is 2 years for defects, lifetime crash replacement at $275+.

I charge $100/hr [or portion thereof] for Google search services. Your invoice is on its way. :-)

mtbr member
    Wide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B-kevlar-carbon-rims-4-.jpgWide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B-kevlar-carbon-rims-7-.jpgWide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B-kevlar-rim.jpgWide (35mm+) DH rim options for 650B-kevlar.jpg
    They look a lot like the old LP Composite parts.

mtbr member
    Kewl! Would be a but concerned about the UV exposure of the raw epoxy though but it looks sick.

And thanks pinkrobe - your check is in the mail! I'd say NOX's warranty is the best in the biz. FWIW that's who my buddy ended up going with (no breaks yet, 6 months) and I actually just got an order in today for my 35mm Farlows.

Have FUN!

G MAN