Why are the tread patterns on tyres so different?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why are the tread patterns on tyres so different?

coming from a motocross background where the only real difference between tyres is the compound and how widely spaced the knobs are - I am wondering what are the benefits of all the fancy tread patterns on downhill tyres?

I use Onza Greina DH tyres and find they hook up well regardless of the conditions - what might I be missing out on from not using say Minions or Butchers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    When you use Maxxis tires, hundreds of naked supermodel chicks come out of the woods and line the trail and give you free beer.

mtbr member
    In motocross you have a motor, so while reduced rolling resistance is still a factor it isn't as crucial as in mountain biking where your engine is you. In motocross you have a heavy bike with a lot of power which helps it out a lot in corners, dry, mud, etc. whereas in mountain biking you have a light bike without the ability to blip the throttle in a turn to drift or get traction.

So dh bikes (and regular mtb's) have tires that are specific for light xc bikes that will be raced on (ie- the fastest possible rolling tire), tires specific for trail bikes that don't get raced on (ie-good combo of grip, light weight, and low rolling resistance), and tires specific to dh (maximum grip, maximum breaking, maximum durability).

There are tires for hardpack, loose over hardpack, loose, grippy/ tacky dirt, mud, etc.

Just more things for us to nerd out on really.
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    When you use Maxxis tires, hundreds of naked supermodel chicks come out of the woods and line the trail and give you free beer.
    I must spred rep before I can give you some more. Help me out folks.

Funny thing though when they come out around me they all have Scotch.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness View Post
    In motocross you have a motor, so while reduced rolling resistance is still a factor it isn't as crucial as in mountain biking where your engine is you. In motocross you have a heavy bike with a lot of power which helps it out a lot in corners, dry, mud, etc. whereas in mountain biking you have a light bike without the ability to blip the throttle in a turn to drift or get traction.

So dh bikes (and regular mtb's) have tires that are specific for light xc bikes that will be raced on (ie- the fastest possible rolling tire), tires specific for trail bikes that don't get raced on (ie-good combo of grip, light weight, and low rolling resistance), and tires specific to dh (maximum grip, maximum breaking, maximum durability).

There are tires for hardpack, loose over hardpack, loose, grippy/ tacky dirt, mud, etc.

Just more things for us to nerd out on really.
    this. a human cant even put down 1 hp so things need to be changed up a bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I think an average human can do something like 125W sustained? That's 1/6hp haha.

To the OP, the previous posters pretty much nailed it: Instead of maxing pure traction, DH tires are always playing with different combinations of traction / rolling resistance / weight. So you get all sorts of different designs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    when you use Specialized tyres do you get free riding lessons from Troy and Sam

thanks for the info guys. I thought it might have something to do with that - but when your as old and slow as me - going faster is not as important as being able to get the next lift back to the top with your mates

bike rider
    There used to be more varied patterns but in DH after watching the blocky, motoish Minion DHF rule for a decade we're seeing more similar tires that take moto blocks and add some ramping, siping, and maybe an L bend. So to answer your question, most of the wild looking designs were just something the designer thought looked cool and never worked as well as a slightly modified moto design.
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 0