Why No Clipless Pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Why No Clipless Pedals?

I do a lot of trail and xc riding and use eggbeater pedals. Ive just started doing some downhilling. Ive been using the eggbeaters and really like it . Ive noticed alot of people do not use clipless pedals for donhilling. I dont understand why. I know I am Much more confident with clipless pedals; my feet stay on the pedals throught the rough stuff giving me more control. So why do some many downhillers use platform pedals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XcSingler
    I do a lot of trail and xc riding and use eggbeater pedals. Ive just started doing some downhilling. Ive been using the eggbeaters and really like it . Ive noticed alot of people do not use clipless pedals for donhilling. I dont understand why. I know I am Much more confident with clipless pedals; my feet stay on the pedals throught the rough stuff giving me more control. So why do some many downhillers use platform pedals?
    It is all preference.

thats not to steep is it?
    only real men clip in. one reason people use platform, is because they think it's easier to bail out if you fall. i've never had a problem unclipping. atleast not with crankbrothers. i had a problem with SPD. but if your gonna do downhill and run clipless, dont run eggbeaters. deffinatly invest in a pair of crankbro's mallets.
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    It is all preference.
    excatly.
    I came from a XC backround where I rode shimano clips. Then moved to downhill and started riding Mallets. I cant see myself riding platforms ever again.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

thats not to steep is it?
    just checked price point. they have mallets on sale. 40% off.
    heres a link
    http://http://www.pricepoint.com/det...edals-2006.htm
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    I grew up on motorcycles, and I just can't get comfortable with clipless. I just run platforms with 5.10s and I'm happy.
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdownhillkid
    only real men clip in.

I've seen girls clip in.

mtbr member
    Mallets?

I'd rather run Time ATAC Z's any day for DH.

≈ > ♥
    I mix it up.
    Platforms for playing, clipless for racing.

dirt rules
    It depends on your riding style. If all you are doing is riding down the hill, and maybe doing some sweet jumps (dude, you caught like 3 feet of air that time!) clipless should be fine. If you are more into drops, jumps, and skinnys, etc. clips are no good.
    Most people that you see riding clips for DH come from road or XC backgrounds, and have a real hard time getting used to not being clipped in. Unless you plan to race, or never plan to do any freeriding, you should try to get used to platforms.

Flyin' low
    Riding flats forces you to be a smoother rider. You have to learn to flow with the bike.
    I rode ATAC's for several years and the transition to flats was not that difficult.
    If all you are worried about is your feet comming off the pedals, learn to be smoother. Don't just bang off the rocks, flow up and over them.
    Also, flats are cheaper. A decent set of pedals and some good skate shoes and your set. You can also walk around in them at the bar later.

IMO clipless is a crutch.
    Lose the cleats and flow the bike.

If pro is the opposite of con, then progress is the opposite of congress?

squish is good
    Clip ins allow you to be lazy. You can jump, flip lines, bunny hop, and pedal without even thinking. On one hand this is super sweet! No think MTBing... I signed up and bought into clipless within weeks of starting serious riding. I've learned that understanding how to ride flats gives you a huge advantage. Instead of pulling up with your legs to adjust your attitude in the air, flats force you to launch properly and steer and adjust attitude from the front of the bike to follow a proper trajectory. While clip ins sound like an advantage, and in most pedaling situations they are, understanding and practicing proper technique on flats can make you flow better and go faster over turrain. You can always go faster with clips, but flats teach you to ride properly and flow better. It's worth it to spend some time doing jumping and dropping with flats and getting comfortable (which took me a couple months!) to learn the proper body english for these situations. The pedaling efficiency of clip ins have obviously made their way to downhilling and they make it easy to land sloppy jumps and drops. Flow is developed on flat pedals but that speed will translate to clip ins if you take the time to learn it!

Flyin' low
    Well said.

That's what I was trying to say but you said it much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    I've seen girls clip in.

I prefer clipless, but I can see why some people like flats. The one situation where I don't like clipless is on elevated skinnies- I'd rather be able to bail just that little bit more easily. I think a lot of it has to do with what people are used to. I've got an XC background. People who grew up riding BMX and such probably feel more comfortable with flats.

mtbr member
    IMO clipless pedals suck for DH, depending on the race course I take a foot off the pedals a lot. Either for an outrigger or to actually dab on something. I have been using 5.10 shoes for the last 6 years and have never had my feet bounce off the pedals. With flats I can quickly take a foot off then get it right back on the pedal. This works well when you only have room/time for one or two pedal revolutions while racing.

I use clipless about 90% of the time on my all-mountain bike. I just started using them this year and I am not completly sold on them yet.

Back in the day when only rich guys and pros used clipless I used toe straps. Those things sucked! Shitty rubber on Airwalks back then did not hold well on MTB pedals. Only good thing about Mtn bikes in the early 90's was all the anodized parts.

mtbr member
    Clutchman your 100% right. Bit similar to learning your flow first on a HT bike and then switching to FS.(still need to change to flats for some time to smoth things up but I've decided to start from building a dj rig Haven't been riding flats for 10 years(being 20 years old) so it may be tricky but who cares )

Booenman it depends on your riding style and your pedals. I can clip in quite fast on my pedals so I can take the foot off my pedal quite easily but I've also noticed that my friends that use flats tend to overuse putting feet of the pedals.

rolls on 26's
    Jun 2006
    I remember reading something that said in most cases the extra pedaling efficiency doesn't give the biggest advantage, being able to corner fast and keep your whole run smooth will help you out way more than pedaling.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    It is all preference.

yep that is it.....I nprefer not to be attached to my bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

More Riding Less Internet
    I prefer clips for DH. You have so much more control over the bike. you have to adjust your riding style for them, you can't ride like you are on flats. your cornering style changes, as well as your jumping style.

I still ride flats alot and you need to switch back and forth to make sure you still know HOW to ride. havinga hardtail will help with that.

there is a big difference between someone who knows how to ride a bike and clips in, vs someone who doesn't know how to ride a bike and trys to clip in.

Kyle,

Coors, the american beer.
    when i had my dh bike i rode platforms ... and before that whenever i took my regular bike to northstar i would throw platforms on it
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Giant STP 06
    Well, if I had a dedicated downhill race bike that I didn't take anywhere else, then I'd probably run clipless. The thing is, I use my bike to get around places too, and I would think it'd be a pain if I didn't run flats for this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Oh, dang it, you guys caught me. I really do suck, I've been trying to fool you all with my clipless pedals that make me look good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Huitt

IMO you're an idiot.

Thats like saying slamming your seat is a crutch

What I'm saying ride what you want to ride and not bag on what other people ride. Its all personal prefrence in the end anyway

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by wako29
    I grew up on motorcycles, and I just can't get comfortable with clipless. I just run platforms with 5.10s and I'm happy.
    ditto.

Freetard.
    There are a lot of good ideas in this thread, but it boils down to this: clipless lets you go faster, easier. Platforms are great for freeriding (especially raised skinnies), as well as learning how to properly control your bike.

i drink shower water
    i rock clipless for DH, i would never change it.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i use platforms cause when the bikes does flips when i crash i want to be off of it
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya sam, that is the case for me too, but i also want be off my bike if i crash in the skinnies so i dont whack my head on a tree. hahaha
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    when you're riding a new bike on a trail you've never done...you also want platforms.

just a tip. I'll go back to nursing my cuts.

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Huitt
    Riding flats forces you to be a smoother rider. You have to learn to flow with the bike.
    I rode ATAC's for several years and the transition to flats was not that difficult.
    If all you are worried about is your feet comming off the pedals, learn to be smoother. Don't just bang off the rocks, flow up and over them.
    Also, flats are cheaper. A decent set of pedals and some good skate shoes and your set. You can also walk around in them at the bar later.

True.. up until a point.

learning on flats will make you a bit smoother, that i will contend with. But so far as racing goes, at a certain point clips allow you to go faster. Better pedaling efficiency when you're hammering it, as well as IMO better bike control.

Clips for racing is an advantage, not a crutch.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    when you're riding a new bike on a trail you've never done...you also want platforms.

just a tip. I'll go back to nursing my cuts.
    thats why you ride a clip pedal with a platform.

for example Mallets, Times, Shimano etc.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

School Bites
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yep that is it.....I nprefer not to be attached to my bike
    For some odd reason I thought you were a "going down with the ship" sort of guy.
    "Get this man a milkshake. Might have to show him how to use the straw though." -kidwoo

i drink shower water
    i have never taken a bad wreck and still been clipped in. usually the force snaps your shoes out of the pedals. its all preference when you get down to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    at first i was leary on steeper more tech stuff clipped in. once i realized i didnt have to worry about slipping a pedal, you hang on and im overall faster clipped in. You clip out second nature after about a week.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Flyin' low
    Well, I don't race.
    Don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself.To me racing is paying $50 to ride less than if I just go ride.

REQUIRED FOR ADRENALINE!!
    Clips are really fast on DH, but they can cause a lot of problems when life decides to come at you fast.. and their isn't a damn thing you can do about it because you are stuck to the bike... And their are a lot of trails and runs that make it almost impossible to use clipless.

I ran Wellgo WAM-10 Hybrid pedals, Flat on one side, CLipless on the other, and they were pretty nuts... I did like that set up alot, but eventually I switched over to full plat (i.e. CB 5050's or Wellgo B-62 Flats... Get some grip tape from a local skate shop, apply it to both sides, and you are set... 5,10's or no 5,10's, your feet are glued!!! It will feel like you are clipped in, but the major advantage is that you are not, and when you have to put that foot down to pull a tight turn, you are ready for it.
    I'm always right. I thought I wasn't once, but I was wrong.

i drink shower water
    anyone who cant get out of a clipless pedal deserves to fall down.

squish is good
    word...

mtbr member
    I run 5.10 impacts and wellgo MG-1s. My feet stick to the pedals as well as I ever want them to. I stay connected to the bike in the air, but I separate from the bike any time i intend to. I understand that clipless will still separate in a bad crash/bail, but it's the unexpected, quick falls that I hate. I'm not usually one to ride something I don't fully expect to come out of, so when I fall, its very sudden and usually very unexpected.

just as an example, riding the other day in the rain. in an easy area of a pretty easy trail. out of nowhere, front end goes left and back end goes right. I wasn't going terribly fast, and i was certainly not doing anything hard. my bike just slipped and i didn't even realize i was falling until i hit the groud. If i was clipped in, that would have sucked.
    Too tired and sore to ride...so...who wants to go riding?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Really this question will never go away. Running clips or not is just a matter of what you're more comfortable with. Personally I made the switch from clipless to platforms and I cut seven seconds off my best time down my training trail. Just try both and see which makes you feel faster.
    I rock out like Bon Jovi in some 80's jeans

Now with flavor!!
    Clipless pedals are not a crutch.

They're a tool.

Whether or not you decide to use them is up to you.

All you guys bagging on clipless pedal use as some sort of sign of weakness gladly ride 7+ inch travel bikes. Think about that sometime. Clipless pedals are no more a crutch than dh tires, suspension, wide bars and disc brakes. There are technologies out there that can aid pinning it down rough trails. Just because you decide to use them doesn't mean you're a lesser rider.

I regularly ride both depending on what I'm doing.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some one should tell Sam Hill that Clipless are faster...or the many other pro riders on platforms. I read something about cornering faster with Clipless above, but knowing I can put my foot down, if needed, gives me a lot more confidence to go in faster and lower. I am from BMX background and overall I think it is personal preferance. What ever makes you comfortable makes you faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I use clipless pedals religiously on XC and trail riding, but I like my flats for any DH, FR or riding that requires minimal pedalling.

While clipless is a godsend when it comes to pedalling efficiency, IMO they're not so good when you need to be shifting weight around. I personally like to be able to shift my foot around on the pedal; sometimes I want to just stand on the pedals and coast; having my foot centered over the pedals is the best position for that. That's something you aren't going to be doing clipped in.
    Clipless are also more or less useless when it comes to dirt jumping tricks. Does anyone here know anyone who can jump with clipless pedals, get unclipped in the air, do a no-footed can-can, then clip back in before they land?
    Does anyone here know anyone who rides a motocross motorcycle with clipless pegs??
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

squish is good
    Dude nobody's talking about using them for jumping or freeriding. Were talking about downhill racing. If your trying to throw a no footed can can during a downhill race you need to reasess which competition you should be signing up for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Dude nobody's talking about using them for jumping or freeriding. Were talking about downhill racing. If your trying to throw a no footed can can during a downhill race you need to reasess which competition you should be signing up for.
    I dunno man, landing an unsolicited no-foot can-can off an drop of jump during a DH race might get you some bonus points or something!

If we're just talking about DH racing, then I guess it would be a matter of personal preference. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Just weigh the advantages/disadvantages of either and decide what fits you best.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    imo riding clips helps me be a smoother rider, i find if i ever crash its because i clipped out in a section that i was not confident in and my balance was shifted incorrectly. Also since you can't get your feet back into the pedals as quickly it teaches you not to dab. Dabbing does slow down your race run because you cant pedal out of the turn as you could if you had both feet on your pedals.

I originally started riding XC with clips then moved to flats when i got my DH bike then back to clips again. I agree that for learning how to bunny hop and manual flats are better but once you learn how to ride a bike you throw away the training wheels

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    Yeah, some people seem to be turning this into a freeride debate and it's about DH, where you have to pedal all out sometimes, as well as ride through gnarly rock gardens. There are rarely skinnies or ladders on DH courses. There's a reason most of the DH racerbois ride clipped.. it gives you more control and better pedaling efficiency.

For freeride I think it's obvious what the choice is.. biffing off a tall ladder or skinny clipped in really sucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Why Sam Hill runs flats...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/4263/

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSinCO
    Why Sam Hill runs flats...

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/4263/
    ahahahaha wow! that made my day.
    was he riding his sunday?!
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    ahahahaha wow! that made my day.
    was he riding his sunday?!
    Looks like it and the vid title is bye bye Sunday...so probably

exacerbated member
    Because... If you dooooooo!

Somtimes when you are a Man you wear streachey pants.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you are all a bunch of noobs on bikes

TNC
    noMAD man

SPD adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by thatdownhillkid
    only real men clip in. one reason people use platform, is because they think it's easier to bail out if you fall. i've never had a problem unclipping. atleast not with crankbrothers. i had a problem with SPD. but if your gonna do downhill and run clipless, dont run eggbeaters. deffinatly invest in a pair of crankbro's mallets.
    If you had trouble getting out of SPD pedals, I'd say your adjustment wasn't correct on the pedals, your cleats were damaged or worn, your cleat pocket on your shoe was too tight, or a combination of any or all of these.

While both Shimano and CB pedals are perhaps the best overall pedals at the moment, it's actually the CB design that will absolutely not release your cleat until you turn the required amount of degrees. The SPD design allows adjustment from soft to hard control release, so no one should ever get "locked in" to their pedals unless one of the conditions I mentioned above exists. You also have a choice of single release cleats or multiple release cleats for SPD pedals...the mulitiple release model having more options for position release. I use multiple release cleats and Shimano 647 or 656 DX/DH style pedals, but there's a great amount of preference in this area.

We sell both Shimano and CB brand pedals at our shop and seem to have about equal satisfaction from both. Half the people I ride with use Shimano and the other half use CB...almost nothing in between...so it may be a coin toss as to true performance advantage. However, I will always debate the issue of a Shimano pedal being harder to exit and release over a CB pedal.

Capricious youth...
    I ride DH and FR with Mallets.

Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerterror
    you are all a bunch of noobs on bikes
    And you are not?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i don't know the first thing about mtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The new Mallets for 2008 look nice with Set Screws, so can ride either way. Anyone try these yet?

dft
    mtbr member
    i ride with powergrips, yep my avitar! i get laughed at once a month probably, but hey they work for me. a compromise between clipless and platforms. i can get out super quick, but still aids me for climbing. i like then on skinnies, can stop mid skinny ok.

Freetard.
    lol @ powergrips. Just practice with some clipless!

Members who have read this thread: 0