Why Fox Racing Shox Rocks- Mtbr.com
    Innovate or die!

Why Fox Racing Shox Rocks

I couldn't resist, fox deserves every little bit of glory for this:

THE PROBLEM: After recently buying a torque wrench I was wrenching on my 40 RC2 when I noticed the pinch bolts had a bunch of crap that needed to be cleaned out. Since the day I recieved my bike from specialized (see bottom pic) I noticed that one of the 4 pinch bolts was black. Turns out that when I removed the black bolt, it not only was 2x longer than the normal ones, but it left a hole into the lowers of the fork that leaked air and oil when I compressed it. Not only that, but there were holes in the arch of the casting too.

THE PROCESS: I freak out and call up fox racing. The boys are real nice and inform me they have never heard of this and just to ship it on down. 3 Days later I get a call from fox informing me that some fyackin idiot took a drill to my 40 in order to fit that black bolt in. At this point the finger is pointed at specialized, since I recieved the fork in this condition. They either lost the bolt and used the black one, or simply did not want to buy another set of lowers and just drilled mine out. The next morning I get a call from the manager who is less than enthused about this whole situation, but being the sick guy he is, pulls $300 bucks out of fox's pocket and replaces my lowers for a problem they did not cause. He then gets my fork in the mail tuesday, and on wednesday (yesterday-- yes it was that fast) I get my fork in time for my northstar trip this weekend and my 3 weeks in whistler next weekend. Love those guys.

THE VERDICT: Not only does fox make the best DH fork in existance, but as of now they have the best customer service I have ever dealt with. The 40 is worth every cent in my opinion, and it goes without saying I will be a loyal customer for a long time.
    ---They spent $300 bucks on me without any obligation
    ---They had a super fast turn around
    ---They tuned the fork and changed oil/seals in process of replacing lowers.
    ---Everything was fast, simple, and no BS, and my fork is back in a week.

www.foxracingshox.com (they sell products direct to customers! A good idea because they have records of your purchase if you have any warranty problems)

Specialized has some explaining to do

First Pic: New lowers on my beautiful 40.
    Second Pic: The bike the day after it arrived from specialized with the bolt of doom.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sedona, Az USA
    good deal, glad to know. i sold my avy and am planning to buy a 40 in the near future. So CS is very important. thanks for the report!

i dont know which 40 to get. Im not the type of rider who is always adjusting and tuning. If my bike feels good when i first build it, it usually stays that way, untouched.

Can you clarify something for me. Does the RC still have a progressive compression, even without the hi-low adjustment? Meaning , can it run plush while just cruising down a fire road or single track but then when you hit it hard, like on a drop of jump, will the fork ramp up?

any detailed info you could share would be great!

thanks,

joel

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    good deal, glad to know. i sold my avy and am planning to buy a 40 in the near future. So CS is very important. thanks for the report!

i dont know which 40 to get. Im not the type of rider who is always adjusting and tuning. If my bike feels good when i first build it, it usually stays that way, untouched.

Can you clarify something for me. Does the RC still have a progressive compression, even without the hi-low adjustment? Meaning , can it run plush while just cruising down a fire road or single track but then when you hit it hard, like on a drop of jump, will the fork ramp up?

any detailed info you could share would be great!

thanks,

joel

Dude, Jesse 40 is LINEAR. I've cranked up BOTH low and high speed compression (i heard they work on the same circuit) and its still VERY linear. I also think the 40 R is stuck in a middle postion for progressiveness. I'd spend the extra $200-$300 and get the RC2.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Innovate or die!
    Yeah my 40 is fairly progressive. Wierd.

Yes the 40 RC2 has the progressivity adjustment. However, a fox racing shox authorized dealer has to tune it, but you can make it as progressive as you want. Out of the box so to speak, my 40 was nice an progressive.

High speed compression can also help to keep from bottoming, but can make your fork feel harsh.

Yeah, the 40 is as ajustable as it gets. Get one, get out, and be happy.

MTBR Mafia
    how gay, you have to have an "authorized" dude do it for you. and then you cant service your talas system either.... ( for the Talas forks not the 40)
    All Mountain was so 2005

Cynical Bystander
    I want a damn 40.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

jibber of the unjibbable
    Quote Originally Posted by M1_joel
    good deal, glad to know. i sold my avy and .................................................. ..........................

joel

you WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?

in my best hank hill voice......"dammit peggy, the boy just ain't right, I tell ya what"
    Boogie down to free James Brown

We get titles?
    I guess when you sell forks for the prices that they do, you can afford to toss around $300 at the drop of a hat. Not a slam on Fox - I've seen their quality, I wish I owned a fox fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    What is funny about this to me is, why didnt they just cut the bolt . Instead someone lost the original and went "OH crap, the only bolt i have that is the right thread is too long, now i need to drill a deeper hole for it". Unless i read the original issue wrong this would have seemed like a no brainer?
    -
    P.S. The cust srvc is good to hear, i plan on buying a vanilla for my ht soon.
    -
    mntl

Fartographer

Good Story

It's easy to complain when you have problems. But not enough people give credit when it's due. Thumbs up to Fox for going the extra mile. Thumbs down to assembly and QA at Specialized for letting that bike get out.

Make sure to post a review in the review section, if you haven't already.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Okay here is the scoop on my 40. At Deer Valley I slammed my little compression penis cap on a rock and it dented in so far that It wouldnt thread off. I took it to the fox tent and they couldnt get it off either. It came down to them sawing the guy off, replacing the low speed knob and giving me a new black cap. It was easy for them but just another awsome cust. service move by fox. It is sorta hard to get adjusted correctly, It was skipping around a lot and not holding in the blown at woods sections, To help me with this Fox put one of their riders on the spot (Keene) to help me adjust my fork. He turned the low speed in and turned the rebound down a bit and everything was perfect.

My fork is Linear, All 40s are. There is an extra BOOST valve on the fork to help resist botteming which is an allen adjustment on the compression knobs.. THis only comes on the RC2.

Joel if you can swing it get the RC2, but remember your going to have to take your Ti springs out and replace them with steel.

Innovate or die!
    How many clicks rebound and clicks compression are you running?

mtbr member
    Did you just say 3 weeks at whister? I should steal your fork and your identity.

mtbr member
    Mines very progressive...

(But maybe thats because it was tuned for/by Kyle Strait)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Innovate or die!
    yeah, thats weird that there are so many different opinions of the same fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Mines very progressive...

(But maybe thats because it was tuned for/by Kyle Strait)
    I call BS. I garuntee it was tuned to be as supple as possible for worlds.

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    I call BS. I garuntee it was tuned to be as supple as possible for worlds.
    Word. That was his race bike.

Kyle Strait is gay anyway

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by E30Evolution
    Kyle straight name dropping = played out.
    If you've ever met him, you wouldn't think so.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Renegade of Krunk
    Kyle straight name dropping = played out.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    Word. That was his race bike.

Kyle Strait is gay anyway
    Whatev he is the sickest he rides his v10 badass with Rennie. That guy Cam Zink on specialized hucks harder tho.

eci
    fyi
    my buddy who snapped his 40 got it back from fox after 120 in service charges. Now he snapped the black penis thing and its leaking oil like crazy. There are some design issues they need to work on (no black penis's named leroy k?)

Renegade of Krunk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    If you've ever met him, you wouldn't think so.
    And if you knew what I was talking about in the 1st place then your reply might have actually made sense.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    fyi
    my buddy who snapped his 40 got it back from fox after 120 in service charges. Now he snapped the black penis thing and its leaking oil like crazy. There are some design issues they need to work on (no black penis's named leroy k?)
    How did he snap the black penis? Did he hit it with a log or drop his bike off a huge ladder? 120 isnt bad at all after being crashed and whining about a broken fork on mtbr.

mtbr member
    I hit 20 ft drorps to flatz all day round hur on my 40. It's bomb proof. and for teh clown who broke teh arch on his 40, I can't believe they didn't tell you to stick that thing up your a$s.
    As for all 40's being linear, i'm gonna call b.s. on that Jbelt. Take a spinhuckzor on mine.

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    I hit 20 ft drorps to flatz all day round hur on my 40. It's bomb proof. and for teh clown who broke teh arch on his 40, I can't believe they didn't tell you to stick that thing up your a$s.
    As for all 40's being linear, i'm gonna call b.s. on that Jbelt. Take a spinhuckzor on mine.
    wowie look whos back, tell a friend

mtbr member
    What springs you runnin fool? Do you have the OEM only bender springs?

mtbr member
    What springs you runnin fool? Do you have the OEM only bender springs?
    let's just say FOX hooks it up for teh gnarcal bruthahucka

mtbr member
    let's just say FOX hooks it up for teh gnarcal bruthahucka
    Word I got the same for the Skeezer Southun Racas.

mtbr member
    Word I got the same for the Skeezer Southun Racas.
    clear out yo pm's nagle

mtbr member
    clear out yo pm's nagle
    cleared fool.

not really a noob
    i want a 40
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD