Why does the USA does so poorly at the World cup DH?- Mtbr.com
    Primative Screwhead

Why does the USA do so poorly at the World cup DH?

Here are the results from Fort William (scroll down for first USA)

1 Samuel Hill (Aus) Monster/Iron Horse/Mad Catz 4.25.33
    2 Cédric Gracia (Fra) Commencal 4.26.59
    3 Greg Minnaar (RSA) Team G-Cross Honda 4.27.64
    4 Steve Peat (GBr) Santa Cruz Syndicate 4.27.68
    5 Gee Atherton (GBr) Team Animal / Giant 4.27.77
    6 Marc Beaumont (GBr) Team Mbuk Santacruz 4.29.20
    7 Fabien Barel (Fra) Kona Les Gets Factory Tea 4.29.73
    8 Nathan Rennie (Aus) 4.30.91
    9 Matti Lehikoinen (Fin) Team G-Cross Honda 4.32.34
    10 Mickael Pascal (Fra) Qbikes 4.35.17
    11 Jared Graves (Aus) Yeti Fox Racing Factory T 4.35.66
    12 Bryn Atkinson (Aus) 4.35.94
    13 David Vazquez Lopez (Esp) Maxxis-Msc 4.35.99
    14 Filip Polc (Svk) Gravity Group 4.36.62
    15 Ivan Oulego Moreno (Esp) Massi-Abarth 4.37.48
    16 Dan Atherton (GBr) Team Animal / Giant 4.37.60
    17 Julien Camellini (Fra) 4.38.35
    18 Bernat Guardia Pascual (Esp) Maxxis-Msc 4.38.71
    19 Fabien Cousinie (Fra) 4.39.96
    20 Chris Kovarik (Aus) Ms-Intense Factory-Racing 4.40.27
    21 Justin Leov (NZl) Yeti Fox Racing Factory T 4.40.33
    22 Brendan Fairclough (GBr) 4.40.52
    23 Dan Stanbridge (GBr) Mojo Suspension 4.40.57
    24 Damien Spagnolo (Fra) Qbikes 4.40.65
    25 Florent Payet (Fra) 4.40.79
    26 Thomas Braithwaite (GBr) 4.41.39
    27 Damien Mermoud (Sui) Suspension Center 4.41.82
    28 Andrew Neethling (RSA) 4.41.86
    29 Chris Ball (GBr) Mojo Suspension 4.43.15
    30 Neil Donoghue (GBr) Team Mbuk Santacruz 4.44.23
    31 Fabien Pedemanaud (Fra) 4.44.65
    32 Michal Marosi (Cze) Arbö Rsp Downhill Racing 4.44.98
    33 Maxime Remy (Fra) Team Bikepark.Ch Tui 4.45.98
    34 Duncan Riffle (USA) 4.46.37

Honestly, I'm not trying to flame anyone, although I dare say that people will still email me calling me a terrorist, and offering to ..."kick my ass if I ever come to virginia." Yes, really.

It's just that out of all competing countries, the USA has the most money, people, resources, variety of terrain, R&D, depth in youth ranks, etc...yet rarely break into the top ten of a WC DH. Why is it that some countries perform better than others? For instance, Australia does relatively poorly at XC, yet dominates the DH.

It cannot be a similar situation to the Ethiopian dominance in certain running events, because to suggest that would be illogical and racist. What is it then?

F.
    Last edited by Feideaux; 05-28-2006 at 03:10 PM. Reason: illiteracy
    MTB evangelist.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Until I see you out there in first place you have no room to talk.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

He has a good question

He's not saying he can do better, he's asking why the US (you know, the home of mountain bikes) doesn't produce more top-level riders. I think it's a reasonable question.

I am not sure I know the answer, but usually this can be traced back to the sanctioning bodies that are responsible for the national racing/talent development programs. What programs, you ask? Exactly! Because DH isn't an Olympic sport, USA Cycling and Norba are not able (willing?) to provide the junior programs that discover new talent or National Team rider support that sends top US riders to world-class events. Either your sponsors pay for everything, or it comes out of your pocket. That doesn't leave much room for up-and-comers, and it's a numbers game. If you saw 12 Americans competing at every World Cup, it wouldn't be long before you started to see results. This is no bust on the guys that are out there now, but it can take one or two seasons of WC racing before a rider starts to really shine. And if sponsors lose patience, or your boy goes broke, he never sees the podium.

I don't advocate DH being an Olympic sport, but there are a lot of countries that have great cycling programs that support their riders far better than we do in the good ole USA. Until something changes, you have to give props to the guys that are out there in the trenches every weekend doing it mostly on their own.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Evader 53
    Until I see you out there in first place you have no room to talk.

mtbr member
    I think mountain biking has more influence in other countries, and they have more kids who do it seriously. Kids in america are more concerned with getting big and playing football. But damn, I would've like to see that austrian kid who beat cedric by over a second.

hehe...don't know what i was thinking right there. I guess ive gotten too used to cross country results. still fast though, to beat cedric.
    Last edited by nrs_air; 05-28-2006 at 04:24 PM.

...for I am a raindog too
    Ehat, are you some kind of terrorist or something???? I'll kick your a$$ if you ever go to virginia--- I hate you terrorists, and don't have a problem kicking a$$es in when you go places.....

Honestly, Great question..... I don't have any insight beyond what JMH said- just wanted to say good question.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs_air
    But damn, I would've like to see that austrian kid who beat cedric by over a minute.

Umm, those are seconds, not minutes

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    Sam Hill is Australian, not Austrian. Kenyans are known for long distance running dominance; Ethiopians are known for starving.

The fact of the matter is that the USA does not have a sufficient development program for any kind of cycling except BMX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was watching some downhill video's online and commented to a freind, he races , that the courses looked awesome. He replied your going to have to get to Europe to run them. He went on to say that they take DH racing much more serious than the US. I speculated that maybe Europe can make more money w/ off road avents ? different insurances ? sanctioning bodies - I dunno it would be nice if Dh racing was more popular in the US.

mtbr member
    DH racing in europe is much more popular because of skiing, I know atleast cedric was training to become a pro DH skiier but he just couldn't cut it and was better at DH. Also in the US i think there has been more of a shift from DH racing to Freeriding.

ride hard take risks
    There is a comitment to racing & they can make a living on it. MTB'ing is recognized as a sport therfor there is a reason to accell at it. Here it is considered a bike something you do for recreation & play, there is very little money here for the athlets. The people have to recognize it as a sport & enjoy what they see, the comunity unfortunatly is very small.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I was watching some downhill video's online and commented to a freind, he races , that the courses looked awesome. He replied your going to have to get to Europe to run them. He went on to say that they take DH racing much more serious than the US. I speculated that maybe Europe can make more money w/ off road avents ? different insurances ? sanctioning bodies - I dunno it would be nice if Dh racing was more popular in the US.
    Oh the pain

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    some people might say we party too much, or are afraid to commit 100%. In some other countries the government takes care of the cycling, and skiing athletes. We have the talent, but you will have to look on the school soccer fields, or football fields. it's not many parents that can see spending $2000 on a bike for their teenager. But the question of current competitors, I would say is the type of training and coaching available here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    There is a comitment to racing & they can make a living on it. MTB'ing is recognized as a sport therfor there is a reason to accell at it. Here it is considered a bike something you do for recreation & play, there is very little money here for the athlets. The people have to recognize it as a sport & enjoy what they see, the comunity unfortunatly is very small.
    Thats true in Australia too though. We barely get any coverage of MTB on TV, and there are only a handful of riders who can make a living purely off riding. Junior development is very important. Maybe the tracks in Australia get riders better prepared (euro style) World Cups??

mtbr member
    theres something in the water
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    theres Blood In The Water

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Red Bull

mtbr member
    or they are all fat lazy slobs drinking beer and eating chips, macdonalds, and burger king

and they drive across the street to see their neighbors and stay the night cause they dont want to drive home drunk

or maybe they just couldnt get off their fat asses to get to the race????

so you can all shut your fat pie holes, that you have crammed with so much food that half the world is starving and maybe be a little more considerate towards the other people that occupy this planet...or maybe youll just bomb them

im going to stop here because i dont know if you stupid heads can comprehend what ive just said...as long as you all know that i can just keep going

now that thats said im going to get back to my chips and pop, b!tches

sorry, soemone had to do it

RFKA Coldsnap
    May 2005
    I think at the very heart of the matter is simply a great big difference in the social significance that it does in the States versus europe.

Simply put, they ride the hell out of bikes all over the UK and europe. When gas costs $7/gallon here in the States you may see us doing what they do, riding to work and being more fit. When our suburban sprall slows down (yeah right) and we're forced into higher density living and cars aren't as attractive an option, we might look at bikes. Not that americans don't enjoy bikes, we certainly do, but I think their ubiquity in ADULT life increases you may find an increase in adults passing on a sporting interest to the younger generations.

Moreover, like others have said we simply don't have the youth programs. Why are we no good at soccer, the most popular game in the world? Why are their so few pro americans in the european leagues? A whole nother discussion but needless to say there's plenty of reasons from lack of youth involvement, or pro careers, to social awareness of what other sports are out there beyond our sheltered shores.

Oh yeah, did I mention that we're fat f*ckers?
    EXTREEM MEDIUM MOUNTAINSTYLE SLOPCROSS STEEDS:
    '06 Iron Horse 7Point3 w/888RC + Roco
    '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc FR-Pimped
    '92 Specialized HardRock Pink-Retro-XC-Pimped

Uhhhhh...
    Its all Norbas fault actually.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    I blame it all on the French... yeah...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    America used to have some top downhillers back in the day like Myles Rockwell, Mike King, John Tomac, Shaun Palmer, Jimmy Deaton(?) etc. One would assume that there was even less junior development programs back then. So what has changed?? I think the variable is the style of tracks. These days tracks seem to be faster, more jumps and more technical lines which for whatever reason suits the Aussies and Euros better.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by carl0s
    America used to have some top downhillers back in the day like Myles Rockwell, Mike King, John Tomac, Shaun Palmer, Jimmy Deaton(?) etc. One would assume that there was even less junior development programs back then. So what has changed?? I think the variable is the style of tracks. These days tracks seem to be faster, more jumps and more technical lines which for whatever reason suits the Aussies and Euros better.
    My interpretation of why there's so few top World Cup contenders from the US is from declining interest. I mean, I know it was before my riding days but DH racing was HUGE here in the 90s. And it seems like after those days there's less interest and fewer numbers, which results in less funding and financial support from not only sponsor companies but usacycling as well. As others have said, elsewhere you can make a living as a pro racer but here in the state's the general concensus is that that would be very difficult if not impossible based off domestic races alone. The situation seems to be cause and effect, with not so much interest domestically there's less funding devoted to racing (ala people's hatred towards norba) which further draws people away from those races, which takes funding away, etc...

All in my opinion of course.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Bored Carp
    When you invent the sport, you get to have a couple of years of dominance before the rest of the world catches up.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    I think there are a few key reasons.
    1. NORBA SUCKS ( no funding)
    2. There are no race training teams of the like of the Austrailians and the crazy French have.
    3. They have alot more courses packed into a smaller area.
    4. MORE JR DEVELPOMENT PROGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    its actually because we suck at bicycle riding
    what were is gnarcal

Pro Crastinator
    it's 'cause we smoke too much pot....

TNC
    noMAD man

Or drink too much of this.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    it's 'cause we smoke too much pot....
    But then that wouldn't explain Cedric now, would it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    junior development in america blows fat balls and so does norba, boycott

Just Joshin' ya!
    Because most people in this country don't care about mountain bike racing. Just like most people don't care about soccer or F1 racing. Soccer is the most popular sport in the world, but we have football. F1 racing is the most popular motorsport in the world, but we have nascar. The USA is just funny that way I guess. We just have our own priorities when it comes to sports.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Giant STP 06
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    or they are all fat lazy slobs drinking beer and eating chips, macdonalds, and burger king

and they drive across the street to see their neighbors and stay the night cause they dont want to drive home drunk

or maybe they just couldnt get off their fat asses to get to the race????

so you can all shut your fat pie holes, that you have crammed with so much food that half the world is starving and maybe be a little more considerate towards the other people that occupy this planet...or maybe youll just bomb them

im going to stop here because i dont know if you stupid heads can comprehend what ive just said...as long as you all know that i can just keep going

now that thats said im going to get back to my chips and pop, b!tches

sorry, soemone had to do it
    Thats quite the stereotype. It's more true than other countries, but quite the stereotype

mtbr member
    Yes NORBA is full of clowns at the head office. Where is the major corporate sponsor???? Damn it might take like 4-8 times calling NISSAN to get ahold of their USA President and set up a meeting to sign a 1 year sponsorship agreement. I think the leaders there have no dream, or vision!!!!!!!!! Crap you think $200,000 from Nissan would help out the purses?????? That is 2 days advertising in a large NEWSPAPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Step it up NORBA!

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    its actually because we suck at bicycle riding

We dont suck, we just take it casually. I think you guys need to give a little more credit to some of our US riders, shame on you doggy Don't forget that mountain biking was invented in America so we can't suck at our own sport. Look at some of the US boys in New World Disorder! We may not be at the top of the race list, but we still kick a** at other areas like casual FR/ DH and stunting. We have won some races too, this was just one tab posted for this thread. Give ourselves more credit!

Shame on you doggy

Shredder111

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by B100
    Kenyans are known for long distance running dominance; Ethiopians are known for starving.
    The biggest stars/legends in longdistance running are Kenelisa Bekele nd Haile Gebrselassie, both from Ethiopia.

Sry off topic.

mtbr member
    cause Americans are lazy and can't ride.
    The jaded ones will wither While the optimistic grow - 311

Always get a kick out of this:
    Quote: This is America. Do what americans do. buying things that we dont need with money that we dont have. CREDIT its the american way. -nicoblue

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmm, no Canucks at all on that list???

Hisforever
    I'll Just say this plain and simple.

The USA IS REDNECK COUNTRY!

Its all about baseball, football, and basketball, and the raddest of them all, golf.

So we should all just grow a Nebraska Neck Warmer, or a Mississippi Mudflap and join the rest of the couch warming sportsfans so they can make millions.
    So lame.

Moxie HT
    Orbea Rallon (fo sale)
    sb 130/150
    Evil Undead/Calling
    Yz 250x

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Don't forget that mountain biking was invented in America so we can't suck at our own sport.
    Yet canada manages to generally suck in the NHL

Don't get me wrong, I'm canadian, but it's still true.

mtbr member
    OT, but had to reply...... Canada does not suck as there are no countries playing each other in the NHL. Canada actually produces a lot of the top players, who end up playing for the richer US teams. Canada doesn't have the finance/market like the US teams have - I'm not Canadian and BTW GO OILERS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Yet canada manages to generally suck in the NHL

Don't get me wrong, I'm canadian, but it's still true.
    As to why Aussies do so well, it's 'cause they're just like the New Zelanders - Mad as Hell and don't give a Fluck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    We dont suck, we just take it casually. I think you guys need to give a little more credit to some of our US riders, shame on you doggy Don't forget that mountain biking was invented in America so we can't suck at our own sport. Look at some of the US boys in New World Disorder! We may not be at the top of the race list, but we still kick a** at other areas like casual FR/ DH and stunting. We have won some races too, this was just one tab posted for this thread. Give ourselves more credit!

Shame on you doggy

Shredder111
    sorry, i didnt realize your such a shredder
    what were is gnarcal

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    GO OILERS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh I am totally on that bandwagon!

BTW, who won the cup last time? Tampa. That team was close to 50% Canadian.

Olympics, that was a disgrace. So, Canada is not totally pwning the world, but we are doing ok in hockey to say the least.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    And I am not there (in Edmonton) for it now 10 years after I said they'd get there

Olympics wise Canada has sucked since they let the pro's in and it's not just the juniors who really give a crap and give 150% to it. Used to look good on your record when draft time came around, but the pro's have taken that away from the kids - this really sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Oh I am totally on that bandwagon!

BTW, who won the cup last time? Tampa. That team was close to 50% Canadian.

Olympics, that was a disgrace. So, Canada is not totally pwning the world, but we are doing ok in hockey to say the least.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

pwn3rator
    i could be wrong, but isn't it because duncan was the only american racing (in this peticular race) ...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

SMT Supporter
    It is beacause of the 100% of people riding dh in the usa 90% are posers that aren't carrying the sport in the blood. Even you have more rich asses wich are more able to buy 5k dh bikes you can't buy skilzz. And beacuse you focuses too much in stealing petroleum to irak to keep your gas dependant country running.
    I believe that riders like Kyle Strait could be on top but if they focus on DH 100%. To much freeriding don't take you fster to the bottom of the mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    He's not saying he can do better, he's asking why the US (you know, the home of mountain bikes) doesn't produce more top-level riders. I think it's a reasonable question.

I am not sure I know the answer, but usually this can be traced back to the sanctioning bodies that are responsible for the national racing/talent development programs. What programs, you ask? Exactly! Because DH isn't an Olympic sport, USA Cycling and Norba are not able (willing?) to provide the junior programs that discover new talent or National Team rider support that sends top US riders to world-class events. Either your sponsors pay for everything, or it comes out of your pocket. That doesn't leave much room for up-and-comers, and it's a numbers game. If you saw 12 Americans competing at every World Cup, it wouldn't be long before you started to see results. This is no bust on the guys that are out there now, but it can take one or two seasons of WC racing before a rider starts to really shine. And if sponsors lose patience, or your boy goes broke, he never sees the podium.

I don't advocate DH being an Olympic sport, but there are a lot of countries that have great cycling programs that support their riders far better than we do in the good ole USA. Until something changes, you have to give props to the guys that are out there in the trenches every weekend doing it mostly on their own.

JMH
    One of the best posts I've ever read on MTBR !
    The only thing you left out was Lawyers.They shut down Snow Summit, the insurance was more than they took in, in a season. It only took 1 rider to get pumped enough on the ride of his life to fck all of us, not so much because of him, but because of his lawyers.
    And, where do you want your taxes to go ? Welfare ? Schools ? Highways ? Healthcare ?
    Bike riding programs ?
    And most top 10 D/H er's ride for '' American '' bike companies that manufacture their bikes overseas and make enough of your money to spend whatever it takes to sign Cedric, or Sam, or Steve or Nathan.
    Ask a small, ( 2000 frames or less a year ) albeit superior quality American bike manufacturer why Sam Hill does'nt ride his bike, and see what he tells you. Fck, ask Sam Hill why he does'nt ride his bike !! You'll think it's an echo.
    How many times have you seen a great band kick your a$$ at a small venue, and they'll never make a record ?
    Ahhhhhhh..........
    RTW.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Eric Carter earned bronze at the World Champs in 1999 or so.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Would you want to go surfing in 1ft mush? Hellz no, you wouldn't want to surf [email protected], you'd want to surf waves that were actually fun (although I have done it just to get wet). Same with US courses. If you look at the courses they had as recently as 3 or 4 years ago, they were awesome; they've just gone downhill (get it...ha, ha,ha) from there.

I think Diablo Freeride Park has got it going on, and we may see East Coast locals start ripping it up on the race scene in a few years. If we could get something like that here in Cali, maybe that would help too. But we need to get a chairlift assisted ski resort first. Can't wait for Baldy!!!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    I blame it on the govermet and say it on the radio, and if you don't already know...all you uncle tom ass kissing ninjas got to gooo
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    I blame it on the govermet and say it on the radio, and if you don't already know...all you uncle tom ass kissing ninjas got to gooo
    i'm an african never was an african american.....................................

mtbr member
    Ha funny. We will smash all couuntries in MX indoor or out. So I guess loving oil makes us faster there eh!!!!!!!!!! So maybe theu need the automic push up to the next level after a certain amount of 1st place finishes like AMA used to do????????????? Is ANNE C faster than our male riders because she is FRENCH? Hell no it is terrain, training and guys she rode with for years. yeah NICO, BAREL, GRACIA, and PASKALL not to mantion INSPECTOR GADGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    because we'd rather look good than win. that's why we have the best freeriders (MTB and snowboarding). but racing just isn't as cool to us. same reason we like giant houses and lifted trucks... and we're fat and lazy.

i could start a thread about why can't the rest of the world hang with the US and Canada in slopestyle and freeriding but it all just comes down to priorities. we're superficial and big air is more fun to watch, so that's what's more important to us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Calgary Flames were in the Stanley cup finals the last go around.

Edmonton Oilers: Stanley cup finals this year. Times are changing.

I understand what you are saying. The saying goes; Canada breeds them and America buys them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    rain.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This is a strange thread which caught my eye for a mo at work....here in the sunny UK.

Odder still are the reactions from the predominantly US crowd on here.....

Couple of things:
    1. Doesn't it ebb and flow who is "on top" etc...? Back in the day, the US had some amazing riders and dominated downhill.....
    2. Courses change a great deal, but that doesn't explain why Minaar, Peat, Hill, et al can still dominate both on NORBA courses and World Cups. Likewise, doesn't explain why Graves ran Minaar closest last year at Angel Fire....
    3. Development Programs - my ar$e!!! We would all like those, but to put that in context we certainly haven't had ANYTHING there to write home about here in the UK - and yet we now have Fairclough, Atherton etc coming up the ranks from the Juniors to catch up with Steve Peat.....
    4. The UK domestic race scene is junk and has been for years - and we have no height elevation and aside from the ONE AND ONLY Fort William track in Scotland, we don't even have lift access (FW is sooooo far from civilisation you wouldn't believe it - I have never even been there - it's like 13 hours away!!!)
    5. UK Pros make some/limited money, but aside from maybe Peat, they are all struggling to make ends meet and use family support - so that is the same the world over (you always get a top 5 and then the rest).....
    6. In terms of UK riders, it's hardly easy/cheap to do the World Cup circuit either - so there's nothing in that....
    7. Aussi riders are ruling at the moment, but that could be nothing more than random chance.....
    8. Cycling culture - don't blame that on the US. All over Europe, Football rules. Road cycling is a big thing in France/Italy/UK (to a degree), but not MTB. Anyway, didn't stop Lance Armstrong or Greg LeMond from dominating in their eras either did it.....?

There are loads of factors - one of which I think is that Europe is far away, from both the US but also Australia. Hard to do both Norbas and World Cups without a decent size team and budget (hence you only get 5/10 guys doing this). But, at the top of their game, the people chase publicity/dollars, for their sponsors. Below this, you get Domestic level competition - and the US is still the largest market don't forget, so as bad as your NORBAs might be, don't knock it until you have seent the others......

Maybe Graves is your next big thing on the WC circuit this year/next? Maybe Duncan Riffle? Takes a few years to get there and you have to start to get up to winning speed. Last year Graves concentrated on the NORBAs and won everything in sight, Hill/Minaar/Peat et al concentrated on the WC circuit.....

Plus - we get a tonne of rain - so when the conditions are bad the guys who ride in Europe a lot, where ever they are from, simply don't notice! Spikes are used in perhaps 40% of races here in the UK!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    good rant cham,
    the only one you may get flamed for is the distanc eto fort bill. most americans would call that a day trip. but then they have interstates everywhere and their cars wouldn't fit down the road in scotland.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    nickhart,

Good point - but then petrol (gas?!) is only about 2 cents a litre over there too, so a 13 hour drive (two ways) still probably only costs about $100 all in in a Hummer with the bikes on the roof......

Over here, with petrol at nearly £1.00 a litre for me (well 98.9p), I estimate that it would take me three tanks to get there in my Audi, and three back. A tank costs £55 near enough. So that's £330, or $640 for petrol. Plus wear and tear. Plus somewhere to stop over....

You can get a flight to the French Alps for £40 ($70), from the airport down the road, £7 ($12).......

Some Assembly Required
    When the podium spots start involving some serious cash at each level, pro & am, you'll see some people get serious about dh here in the States. Until then we can all sit back & say "we do it for the love of the sport". Throw some serious "geetus" at the top 5 riders & watch their "love for the sport" drop to a quick second place behind "getting paid". When riders get paid they ride hard, when they ride hard they win races. When they win races they get sponsored. Biking needs to recognize who all of the players in the game are, get them to the table & come up with a solid plan to move all aspects of riding forward. Gas prices, obesity, health, longevity of life, better living...all of these are fantastic reasons to pull together & everyone involved will benefit from it.

But it won't happen....cause everyone is intersted in screwing the other guy over, not being his equal & watching out for each other, we only care about being # 1, no matter who we have to screwover.

Now who can we blame for that.....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

snp
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the answer is easy: there are two reasons:

a) americans can't ride, and
    b) america is not "home of mountain bikes", switzerland is: look at the swiss army bike from 1953.

snp
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    To answer this question is important to live a little while in Europe. I used to live in Poland for 8 years.
    We don't have youth development programs . They are, but it takes only little bit effort to find them, but they are, and in USA is more programs for youths then in Europe, maybe there couple in west of Europe. I'll take an example of Poland. about 20 % of people (officially) don't have work (adults), many of them earn about 200-300 $ per month (but there are people that earn 300,000.00 $ per month), but mostly 200 - 300. Can you afford a bike for 5k ?? I don't think so. Lot of people go to other countries to work, earn money and buy a bike, so they put lot of effort to buy one, and they know why they buy them. Also there is more no tolerance in Europe in ex mtb. If a people see you stair gaping, ripping some trials, they tell that you have emotional problems and government should vanished you , so it motivates you to be better and show them, that nothing will stop you (usually in the eastern Europe after the communism). For example about the bikes. A kid in USA gets a v10, it happy, says mom and dad thank you and go show that bike to there friends, but in Europe kind don't get v10, but most earn them with really hard work, and then they go and rip some trials. Also kid in USA go into mtb, because parents tell them to do that, they tell kids what hobbies should they have, and actually that kind isn't much interested in mtb for ex.

We should Wait for juniors to become pros, it doesn't happen in one day

And in Europe they don't smoke a lot of weed, if I meet here somebody they smoke weed, I'm not telling that i fell not comfortable, but their life chose isn't smart, and then on a DH trail in the middle they say that they don't know what's going on .

Spectrum90

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by snp
    b) america is not "home of mountain bikes", switzerland is: look at the swiss army bike from 1953.

these american soldiers pedalled their off-road-designed cycles in the mountains for 800 miles with no roads, way back in 1897...

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by wikitypooshlag
    because we'd rather look good than win. that's why we have the best freeriders (MTB). but racing just isn't as cool to us.
    Sorry but you don't have the best freeriders imo. Canada Does.

Glad to Be Alive
    america is too busy playing video games
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    america is too busy playing video games
    We have a winner!

I think it just comes down to the fact that Americans have no passion for racing. We don't want it as much as other people because we're preoccupied with other things.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by pin-it
    We have a winner!

I think it just comes down to the fact that Americans have no passion for racing. We don't want it as much as other people because we're preoccupied with other things.
    also a higher standard of living....we get things to easy and pedaling??? no way...we drive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well i plan on being a world class dher after college so ill fix this problem then

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphoid
    Well i plan on being a world class dher after college so ill fix this problem then
    Ride on, I plan also to be a world class dh-er
    Together we can change the world

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    heres the facts plain and simple.

we are american , were not some crappy european who is scared to get alittle dirt on there bike.

we just go out there and play and in the dirt for hours at a time, sorry were not anal about about being the fastest nation, but we are the ones having the most fun.

Im proud to be an american mountain biker, whos with me.

snp
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Code:
    we just go out there and play and in the dirt for hours at a time, sorry were not anal about about being the fastest nation, but we are the ones having the most fun.
    having fun is connected to the passport? i'm so happy that i got three passports, a swiss, an italian and an australian one.

on the other hand: can you ride while you are wrapped in a nation flag?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChamMTB
    This is a strange thread which caught my eye for a mo at work....here in the sunny UK.

Odder still are the reactions from the predominantly US crowd on here.....

Couple of things:
    1. Doesn't it ebb and flow who is "on top" etc...? Back in the day, the US had some amazing riders and dominated downhill.....
    2. Courses change a great deal, but that doesn't explain why Minaar, Peat, Hill, et al can still dominate both on NORBA courses and World Cups. Likewise, doesn't explain why Graves ran Minaar closest last year at Angel Fire....
    3. Development Programs - my ar$e!!! We would all like those, but to put that in context we certainly haven't had ANYTHING there to write home about here in the UK - and yet we now have Fairclough, Atherton etc coming up the ranks from the Juniors to catch up with Steve Peat.....
    4. The UK domestic race scene is junk and has been for years - and we have no height elevation and aside from the ONE AND ONLY Fort William track in Scotland, we don't even have lift access (FW is sooooo far from civilisation you wouldn't believe it - I have never even been there - it's like 13 hours away!!!)
    5. UK Pros make some/limited money, but aside from maybe Peat, they are all struggling to make ends meet and use family support - so that is the same the world over (you always get a top 5 and then the rest).....
    6. In terms of UK riders, it's hardly easy/cheap to do the World Cup circuit either - so there's nothing in that....
    7. Aussi riders are ruling at the moment, but that could be nothing more than random chance.....
    8. Cycling culture - don't blame that on the US. All over Europe, Football rules. Road cycling is a big thing in France/Italy/UK (to a degree), but not MTB. Anyway, didn't stop Lance Armstrong or Greg LeMond from dominating in their eras either did it.....?

There are loads of factors - one of which I think is that Europe is far away, from both the US but also Australia. Hard to do both Norbas and World Cups without a decent size team and budget (hence you only get 5/10 guys doing this). But, at the top of their game, the people chase publicity/dollars, for their sponsors. Below this, you get Domestic level competition - and the US is still the largest market don't forget, so as bad as your NORBAs might be, don't knock it until you have seent the others......

Maybe Graves is your next big thing on the WC circuit this year/next? Maybe Duncan Riffle? Takes a few years to get there and you have to start to get up to winning speed. Last year Graves concentrated on the NORBAs and won everything in sight, Hill/Minaar/Peat et al concentrated on the WC circuit.....

Plus - we get a tonne of rain - so when the conditions are bad the guys who ride in Europe a lot, where ever they are from, simply don't notice! Spikes are used in perhaps 40% of races here in the UK!!!!

Last time I checked Graves was Australian.
    I think it has something to do with the fact that we (Aust and NZ) have to travel so far to even race, no point in going to make up the numbers, so you may as well win or go down blazing trying.

And we keep breeding super fast juniors down here with zero development funds/programmes, money isnt a factor in making everyone else own US racers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    Sorry but you don't have the best freeriders imo. Canada Does.
    Bearclaw is carrying the torch for the rest of the canadian riders right now... not trying to take anything away from the canadian riders and what they've done for the sport, but at the moment it's so close it's really not worth arguing about.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    When the podium spots start involving some serious cash at each level, pro & am, you'll see some people get serious about dh here in the States.
    there's definitely a resurgence here in the northeast. diablo has put some serious $$$ on the line for the US Open the past few years, and this year there were 500+ racers, including 300 amateurs. there's also a race series there, at plattekill, and mt snow. a few years ago there was only 1 series, plattekill, and 1 event, mt snow NORBA. now you can race every weekend if you choose to. more mountains, more races, and more people showing up is a great start to cultivating some kick-ass talent.

however, there REALLY needs to be a US organization funding and training the kids that show the talent needed to excel. when sam hill was hurt last year, he went back to australia, was fixed by doctors under their socialized health care, trained with the aussie national cycling org (including trainers, coaches, etc) and was back in shape to finish the season. can you imagine usa cycling doing anything similar for one of the us downhillers?

(and yes, sam is australian, not austrian... )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snp
    [CODE]on the other hand: can you ride while you are wrapped in a nation flag?

As some people mentioned before, I wouldn't say that there are much more youth development programmes here in Europe than there are in US. Maybe Europeans treat racing more seriously than Americans? Not riding just for fun. But I'd rather say that it's something that continuously changing in time. Now Europeans and Australians in few years Americans, will see...
    Passion beyond reason!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    i'm an african never was an african american.....................................
    Blacker than black I take it back to my origins.
    Same skin hated by the Klansmen; big nose 'n lips, big hips and butts dancin'!

My arm hurts a little
    Give me Two-Three years!! all make the good old U.S. of A Shine!! LOL!!!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux
    Why does the USA does so poorly at the World cup DH?
    why does you does so poorly at grammar?

mtbr member

a few more thoughts

There are some great points in this thread. In my opinion there are a lot of factors, including:
    It costs a kid a few Gs to get a bike, and then there is no where to ride it. How are the young kids going to hone there skills. Look at skating, DJing, snowboarding......the US kills it in these sports...these are all accessable sports
    I live in Cali and there are so few places to DH it is pathetic. It is a huge fight just to keep the XC trails open. The eastcoast puts us to shame with places to ride DH bikes. Our society is too sue happy.
    I really do not think it is laziness. We have a ton of motivated people in our country. It is the same everywhere else. My family has a 15 year old German kid visiting for a few months. All he eats is Burgers and Coke, and is already overweight....he didn't learn that here.
    As Shaheeb said the US into their sports...BB, FB, BasketB, Hockey....that's where all the $$ goes.
    The reason Australia kills it. They are not spectators, they are participants. The Ozzies love their sport. If they watch it they also play it. They aren't exactly the healthiest people, but they are all out there participating, no matter what the sport. I lived down there on and off for a few years, it is a very physically active nation.
    Americans do like to race. MTB is such a small sport in the US..it is really off the map. I grew up swimming.....its one of the most time consuming, training intensive sports I can think of. Not too many lazy athletes on the US swim team. The US is by far the greatest swim nation in the world. Track and Field is the same way.
    I am sure there are many other factors, but for the most part DHing in the US is a lost sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's like snowboadring. Who watched "First Descent" ?? There is a lot of importent sentences, but there is one thet can help understand this tread. "Europe was allways more focused in raing when USA was more focused in freestyle" , this is what happends with ex mtb. It is that way and you guys can not change that, how I told ou guys it is in metal of european people, in usa people are more chill, so they like to freeride, you need to leave in europe for a while to understand that

Sorry for my spelling and grammar in my posts, but i'm not even a year in usa (finally back ), and i'm still working my grammar, sorry
    Last edited by Spectrum90; 05-31-2006 at 09:51 PM.

mtbr member
    who are the oilers?
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As to why Aussies do so well, it's 'cause they're just like the New Zelanders - Mad as Hell and don't give a Fluck.

LOL.... I have to agree with you on that one.... and I think it's to do with our childhoods. We spend a lot of time outside when we're growing up causing havoc in the local neighbourhood... And we play a lot of sport in general as kids.

For such a small nation (population of 20 mil) we are always close to the top in a lot of different sports worldwide and we do have very good junior development programs. I know the general view of Australia is that we're all mad and thrill seekers, and that's a pretty good conclusion. We're very open minded and laid back as a nation, which I think makes a lot of people not take us seriously.... and I don't mind that at all!!
    I'm proud to be a "chick"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spastik Slingkee
    who are the oilers?
    should i shoot you nnow or later ....they are only the greatest team in the history of the nhl....edmonton pride

go oilers

mtbr member
    I think Diablo Freeride Park has got it going on, and we may see East Coast locals start ripping it up on the race scene in a few years. If we could get something like that here in Cali, maybe that would help too. But we need to get a chairlift assisted ski resort first. Can't wait for Baldy!!!
    dude, wat about mammoth and north star? arent they pretty good?
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    I do believe we've found the winning answer right there, or should I say question.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    why does you does so poorly at grammar?
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-01-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Hard as nails
    Good point..... LOL

mtbr member
    May 2006

No support....

Were not supported by the local communities, insurance companies, park systems, or even Norba.

Were pretty much black balled here in the states. There seems too much of an "MTV reject" stereotype associated with us.
    Insurance companies are killing us, because anytime they have to pay a claim (hospital, ER, ambulance, airlift...), they turn there lawyers loose on the poor land owners, and park managers. Then in return more trails/parks and chair lifts are closed to us. Or they'll at least sanitize the trails, removing rocks, jumps and other funland activities, and post a 15 mph speed limit, and monitor it with radar guns.
    So next time you break your collar bone, or pinky toe ......."you don't know what happened ...you rolled over the curb crossing the street and heard a crack...", Yea that's it, the same excuse you use for the guys at the bike shop when trying to get a part warranted

The end result: we suck, because we can't win races, if there is nowhere to ride, because were always looking out for rangers or Sheriff's deputies zapping us with radar detectors, or waiting for us at our parked vehicles in residential areas, were we have resorted to building secrete illegal trails.

FYI, the reason that the Auzzies, and New Zealanders are so freakin fast is because they race all year long. They have a November thru April racing season. Our winter months are their summer months. So they return home and continue racing and practicing year round.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It would be easy to blame NORBA and America’s Junior Development program, although when you see riders like Andrew Neethling and Greg Minnaar that defense doesn’t hold too much water.

The truth is there were several Americans who did very well on the International scene: Brian Lopes, Eric Carter, Myles Rockwell, Missy Giove, Leigh Donovan, etc.

Personally, I think it’s just a matter of time until American riders become competitive at the World Cup level. Once riders like Kyle Strait, Cody Warren, and Duncan Riffle get a bit more experience on the International scene, they should be able to hang with the best in the world…

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    Insurance companies are killing us, because anytime they have to pay a claim (hospital, ER, ambulance, airlift...), they turn there lawyers loose on the poor land owners, and park managers. Then in return more trails/parks and chair lifts are closed to us. Or they'll at least sanitize the trails, removing rocks, jumps and other funland activities, and post a 15 mph speed limit, and monitor it with radar guns.
    So next time you break your collar bone, or pinky toe ......."you don't know what happened ...you rolled over the curb crossing the street and heard a crack...", Yea that's it, the same excuse you use for the guys at the bike shop when trying to get a part warranted

The end result: we suck, because we can't win races, if there is nowhere to ride, because were always looking out for rangers or Sheriff's deputies zapping us with radar detectors, or waiting for us at our parked vehicles in residential areas, were we have resorted to building secrete illegal trails.

man that explains more than you think

SMT Supporter
    developing programs ????????hahahahhahahahah go ask steve peat in wich develop program he was. hahahah is funny how some people thinks. Look at the best Rally pilots or the best F1 pilots: they don't come from development programs they come from borried towns and they have more passion for what they do than anyone.
    To much posers in the US dh scene. you spend more time thinking what fork is the best than riding your dh bike.
    Bikes don't win, People win.

V10 Freerider
    Kids don't ride bikes like they used to. They play football and baseball and basketball and play video games. Cycling is a passion and lifestyle for the masses in Europe. We are a nation of fat pasty television watcher and our elite athletes chase money in sports that pay. Cycling does not pay in america. It is hard to appreciate as a spectator, any type of cycling unless you are a participant in the sport. So, no spectators, no money, no top level athletes.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenschwinn
    Kids don't ride bikes like they used to. They play football and baseball and basketball and play video games. Cycling is a passion and lifestyle for the masses in Europe. We are a nation of fat pasty television watcher and our elite athletes chase money in sports that pay. Cycling does not pay in america. It is hard to appreciate as a spectator, any type of cycling unless you are a participant in the sport. So, no spectators, no money, no top level athletes.
    hehehe I don't know what are you thinking guys? That like majority of Europe supports MTB - especially DH ?! That cycling is the sport, which attracts most money ?? that's ******** the only thing that really counts in Europe is football (you call it soccer, don't you ?) MTB and DH especially is a niche sport!! Come to terms with it, it;s not amount of money involved in DH that makes Europeans better.....
    Passion beyond reason!

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by goRz
    hehehe I don't know what are you thinking guys? That like majority of Europe supports MTB - especially DH ?! That cycling is the sport, which attracts most money ?? that's ******** the only thing that really counts in Europe is football (you call it soccer, don't you ?) MTB and DH especially is a niche sport!! Come to terms with it, it;s not amount of money involved in DH that makes Europeans better.....
    Word.
    I feel like americans ride just to look cool....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    Were not supported by the local communities, insurance companies, park systems, or even Norba.

Were pretty much black balled here in the states. There seems too much of an "MTV reject" stereotype associated with us.

FYI, the reason that the Auzzies, and New Zealanders are so freakin fast is because they race all year long. They have a November thru April racing season. Our winter months are their summer months. So they return home and continue racing and practicing year round.
    about this thing with suits and so on. It's surely bigger problem in US than in Eu, but that's not my point. I'm not a lawyer, so could somebody explain me why is it so hard to put a statement on a shuttle ticket that 'you're riding at your own risk, no liability will be taken by the landowner' ?
    Passion beyond reason!

screw road bikes
    We're the fattest and the laziest? Sure there's plenty of up-and-coming talent in the states but it seems like bike racing really takes the back seat to more spectator friendly mainstream sports such as basketball, ect. But of course there are always the exceptions...myles for example, won the world cup in 00' was it? I guess there's not really any point to my post.
    Full Tilt Cyclery
    GT Bicycles
    Oakley
    Sram and Co.
    Fox
    Go Fast
    MAXXIS

I

mtbr member
    Nico flatted thta year at like the 3rd turn and I believe still got like TOP 5. All you euros who say no develpoment programs????? I don't get it. DIRT says that Australia has the best talent scout and trainer in the world for JR development. The french did it right with SUNN by finding 13-16 year olds withh speed and grooming them under the like of GADGET and NICO. ANne Caroline is a prime example and so is BAREL. They looke for talent early and work on it with a fine tooth comb and slowly raise their levels. Isn't this what the SYNDICATE TEAM is trying to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????

mtbr member
    Nico flatted thta year at like the 3rd turn and I believe still got like TOP 5. All you euros who say no develpoment programs????? I don't get it. DIRT says that Australia has the best talent scout and trainer in the world for JR development. The french did it right with SUNN by finding 13-16 year olds withh speed and grooming them under the like of GADGET and NICO. ANne Caroline is a prime example and so is BAREL. They looke for talent early and work on it with a fine tooth comb and slowly raise their levels. Isn't this what the SYNDICATE TEAM is trying to do now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????
    yea, my friend just got on syndicate, and he wasnt even first place at sea otter so, yea they are doing that
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    The main reason we did and still are doing not as good

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One simple reason... We here in the UK or even more so Scotland learn to ride in a permanent drift on top of inches of mud through horizontal rain. Put us on a dry and track and there you have it .

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Have you seen our lot this weekend just gone eh?!!!

Fantastic - UK, 1st and 3rd on the podium! First US in 21st (Duncan Riffle).

What happened to Sam Hill then? Not sure this is one of his favourite courses, but I wouldn't have thought it was Steve Peats favourite either.....

local trails rider
    Wow, there is a Finn on the list:
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux
    9 Matti Lehikoinen (Fin) Team G-Cross Honda 4.32.34
    How is that possible?

There are no mountains in Finland. There are only a couple of places that are big enough for international slalom skiing contests, and those are in the north where "nobody" lives.

We have a couple of sites around town where you can race (short, steep, twisty). The season opener had a winning time of 0:48,5. The 8 year old kid who raced in his own category did it in 1:59,03.

The spectators seem to be mainly girl friends, parents, some local kids and mountain bikers like me who do not race.

There is almost no publicity. The local newspaper had a small article afterwards, mainly because a young lady was racing.

I say it takes dedication, will and some support to get far enough from home to be noticed, a little luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0