why do some forks look like they have more travel then others with the same amount?- Mtbr.com
    freeride jerk

why do some forks look like they have more travel then others with the same amount?

what i have never understood is why some forks look like they have a longer amount of travel than other forks that also have the same amount.
    for example:
    the rock shox ride has about 178mm of travel which is basically 180mm.
    and the manitou travis triple (180mm model) looks like it has way more travel then the rock shox . If anyone can tell me why please do.
    thanx TJ
    SHANTY

mtbr member
    Manitous look like they have more travel (more exposed stantion tubes) than others but they dont. Do they have more exposed stantions... yes.
    Forks dont bottom out with the seal hitting the crown. They stop a little before the seals would hit the crown to avoid damage. But Manitou's have to stop (bottom out) with the seals even further from the crown. This is because manitou's have the reverse arch and if they went as far as other forks, the arch would hit the downtube of the frame when bottomed. This is why the manitou's appear to have more travel. But if it says 180mm of travel, its got 180mm of travel
    22Pride

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    It's called axle to crown measurement, never assume how much travel a fork has just by looking at the exposed stanchion.

squish is good
    I've also noticed that fatter stanchions look shorter but it's just an optical illusion. Compare a 32mm fork to a Fox 36, the fox looks really short until you actually measure it.

mtbr member
    What I had posted in the 'Specialized 2007 Demos' thread.

"I think the reason the Travis Triple looks so long is because they had to add some extra stanchion so that the crown wouldn't hit the tire because of the reverse arch... or somethin like that."
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

moaaar shimz
    What I posted before... and screwed it up confusing arch with crown lol

freeride jerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I've also noticed that fatter stanchions look shorter but it's just an optical illusion. Compare a 32mm fork to a Fox 36, the fox looks really short until you actually measure it.
    ya i have also noticed that. just like how the fox 40 (40 mm stanchions) looks like it has less travel then the marzocchi 888 or travis triple.
    i always thought the manitou forks looked like they had more travel from the front because of the arch being reversed. so that might be another factor, of the look of more travel.
    SHANTY

Members who have read this thread: 0